• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Airwalkrr's Maure Castle 3.5 OOC

Herobizkit

Adventurer
@airwalkrr : How would you feel about a Bard/Barbarian with some Celtic flair? I don't have specifics, but I'm thinking more Wallace, less Leif.

Hm, I see someone else has opted for Barbarian/Ranger...

But that's cool, because having two barbarian types in the game fits genre well...? :)

Last edited:

Rhun

First Post
Rhun, your character looks good. You're approved pending the following changes.
-Speak Language is not a class skill so it costs two skill points for those extra languages. Old Oeridian is not a bonus language; you would have to purchase it with skill points. That said, Old Oeridian won't come up much, except as the occasional touch of flavor.
-Perform is not a class skill, so it costs two skill points for each rank.
-A periapt of wisdom must be a neck slot item. You will have to choose between the amulet of health and the periapt of wisdom and spend the difference another way.

I'll get these changes made shortly.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
@airwalkrr : How would you feel about a Bard/Barbarian with some Celtic flair? I don't have specifics, but I'm thinking more Wallace, less Leif.

Hm, I see someone else has opted for Barbarian/Ranger...

But that's cool, because having two barbarian types in the game fits genre well...? :)
Bard/Barbarian might work. Gimmie the basics of the build and I will decide. Bear in mind you are jockeying for either the arcane role or the warrior role. If you want to fill the arcane role, it would have to be along the lines of barbarian 1/bard 11. If you want to fill the warrior role I'd expect at the very least a majority of barbarian levels; the d12 HD somewhat offsets the d6 HD, but not enough to be worth it in its own right. Plus you'd lose base attack bonus and there isn't an incredible amount of synergy in a spellcasting barbarian.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
@airwalkrr : Not a fan of multi-class, eh? I tend to make support characters that can do a bit of everything.

I was thinking Barbarian 8/Bard 4, high STR and CON, and with the Battle Dancer option from PHB II. Most likely a two-hander style, but I'm not married to the concept. Focus on self-buffs.

That would also get my BAB high enough for a third iterative attack.

Last edited:

airwalkrr

Adventurer
@airwalkrr : Not a fan of multi-class, eh? I tend to make support characters that can do a bit of everything.

I was thinking Barbarian 8/Bard 4, high STR and CON, and with the Battle Dancer option from PHB II. Most likely a two-hander style, but I'm not married to the concept. Focus on self-buffs.

That would also get my BAB high enough for a third iterative attack.
It has less to do with whether I like multiclass characters and more to do with the fact that I'm restricting this campaign to four players and want to ensure a good party balance. So if you are going to fill the arcane or the warrior slot you need a good build. A support character who can do a bit of everything is going to be more of a liability in this case. That said, a barbarian/bard could work depending on how you do it. I am not familiar with the battle dancer option you refer to though. Are you certain that is in the PH II?

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Turns out it's a feat, not a class option. (p 75)

I didn't realize you were limiting the game to four players. In my experience, well-rounded characters (especially built 'together') eat modules for breakfast.

In my case, adding Bard to the table brings more Cures (and wand use), renewable buffs (via singing), and decent skill checks (thanks to all Knowledge skills and high skill points).

I will set up the character ad see how it looks, stat-wise.

Edit: After reading how power-gamey you are encouraging others to be, I am in for a challenge. Magic item selection is going to be key for party survival.

2nd Edit: If you're designing a Fighter/Ranger/HW build for another player, how is the warrior slot not taken?

3rd edit: I could always go Fighter 4/Monk 8 as well.

Last edited:

Rhun

First Post
I didn't realize you were limiting the game to four players. In my experience, well-rounded characters (especially built 'together') eat modules for breakfast.

airwalkrr has already mentioned the deadliness of this module, and that he won't be pulling punches. So we are probably in for the fight of our lives.

2nd Edit: If you're designing a Fighter/Ranger/HW build for another player, how is the warrior slot not taken?

airwalkrr has not yet chosen all of the players for this adventure.

3rd edit: I could always go Fighter 4/Monk 8 as well.

Monks are notoriously weak in 3E. I'd have to see your build, but I can't imagine this would be a stronger front-line fighter than a straight Fighter 12 or Barbarian/Fighter mix...

Last edited:

Rhun

First Post
-Speak Language is not a class skill so it costs two skill points for those extra languages. Old Oeridian is not a bonus language; you would have to purchase it with skill points. That said, Old Oeridian won't come up much, except as the occasional touch of flavor.
-Perform is not a class skill, so it costs two skill points for each rank.
-A periapt of wisdom must be a neck slot item. You will have to choose between the amulet of health and the periapt of wisdom and spend the difference another way.

Changes were made, I just have to find something to spend 5500+ gp now and my PC will be complete.

s@squ@tch

First Post
Sorry for the lack of appearances lately -- I fell down the stairs (only three steps, but solid bare oak treads) and have been laid up for a while now. Quite the swelling and an amazingly large hematoma on the base of my spine. I'm trying to get back into the swing now, that I'm a bit more mobile.

Rhun

First Post
Changes were made, I just have to find something to spend 5500+ gp now and my PC will be complete.

Alright, I threw the 5000gp at boosting Cloak of Resistance to +3. Now I just need to spend 600gp and get Brisarion's background up, and he will be complete.

Remove ads