• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E airwalkrr's Rise of the Runelords AE PBP Reborn! [OOC]

kinem

Adventurer
Agreed, Mowgli. The problem with PBP isn't that combat takes too long; it's that players (sometimes including the DM) often begin to slow down posting a lot or vanish altogether while the others wait in vain for the next post.

Some of this might be inevitable - enthusiasm tends to wane after a few weeks, just look at the average post length as you read an IC thread over time. The first few introductory posts - even if it starts with combat - are typically long and full of flavor and description. A few pages later the same player just posts "I cast magic missile" in combat or "I tell him 'OK lets go'" out of combat - and that's his only post for a week.

Pacing should be maintained somehow at about 1 post/day. That also means that posts should NOT come too frequently. I've been in some PBP games where I just couldn't keep up; some of the players and/or the DM were treating it more like an IC chat room where you could go away for a few hours and find 20 long posts of dialog, often in the nature of a romantic interest between a PC and an NPC. I call this a "flurry of posts". Sorry but that does ruin the game for the other players who are being left out and who want to take the game in another direction. But, this problem is much less common than slowdown.

Living Pathfinder has somehow done a better job than most other games in maintaining pacing and interest. I think that might be because players know that if they drop out they not only lose that game but also won't be able to use the character in future games, and characters in LPF are a limited resource.

One thing I've tried in the past is rewarding players for posting. I think it was something like they get a +1 bonus that can be applied to any roll and (which can stack) for every 5 (or 10?) different days in which they have posted. This seemed to help a bit but I don't remember how much.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
To be honest, I am not all that bothered if a rare combat takes a little longer because things are not too easy. But, if we are definitely sticking with Armor as DR, then I need to rework my bard to accommodate the variant since the tactics I was designing around would be different.
I am sticking with it. If I decide to ditch it, it will be after a section (e.g. a dungeon) is completed, and players will be allowed a rebuild. If I make minor tweaks as we go along, then rebuilds will be limited to retraining as per Ultimate Campaign (although if the tweak was significant enough I may waive the gp cost).

One thing I've tried in the past is rewarding players for posting. I think it was something like they get a +1 bonus that can be applied to any roll and (which can stack) for every 5 (or 10?) different days in which they have posted. This seemed to help a bit but I don't remember how much.
I will be rewarding posts with bonus XP. Three times a week (Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday), I will award XP for posts. Awards will be both level-based and significance-based. Long-windedness alone might actually hurt. I prefer posts that are succinct, that is, short and to the point. Of course you can feel free to role-play all you like, but the most important information in your post should be at the beginning, so that I can get the main gist of what you are posting easily in case I am short on time.

Last edited:

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
I think That I know only enough to say I will reserve any further 'judgement' until it gets tried in play.

or to quote "Dr. Strangelove" :

I have nothing further to say except there is nothing more to say.

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Where I start losing interest is when a game starts going a week or more between posts. For my money, a combat - or any other scene - can go on for weeks so long as it's actually going on.
Yep, this is the problem that all games have to overcome. When 1 player or the GM drags the pace down or starts posting without putting in much effort, then everyone starts following suit.

kinem said:
Some of this might be inevitable - enthusiasm tends to wane after a few weeks, just look at the average post length as you read an IC thread over time. The first few introductory posts - even if it starts with combat - are typically long and full of flavor and description. A few pages later the same player just posts "I cast magic missile" in combat or "I tell him 'OK lets go'" out of combat - and that's his only post for a week.
Yep, it actually takes effort on the players’ part to keep their interest up. This is why I value character interaction, because that is what keeps interest in RPing. This is why I always try to post dialog in every IC post to hopefully continue character conversations regardless what events are going on (including combat). It helps when everyone shares that view and continue to answer and provide conversation hooks in return.

kinem said:
Pacing should be maintained somehow at about 1 post/day. That also means that posts should NOT come too frequently. I've been in some PBP games where I just couldn't keep up; some of the players and/or the DM were treating it more like an IC chat room where you could go away for a few hours and find 20 long posts of dialog, often in the nature of a romantic interest between a PC and an NPC. I call this a "flurry of posts". Sorry but that does ruin the game for the other players who are being left out and who want to take the game in another direction.
Yep, I don’t like those players either. 1x/day (except when the game will be held up unnecessarily without a quick answer) is best. It accommodates those people in various time zones and posting schedules.

kinem said:
It really doesn’t help that much. Not that I would turn away the reward. ;) However, players’ interest is usually not driven by little things like that.

Ultimately the players that stick around to post with regular frequency and quality are motivating themselves. Often they like writing. Those that are not big on the writing are typically playing in so many games that they are always posting in some of them every day.

airwalkrr said:
I am sticking with it. If I decide to ditch it, it will be after a section (e.g. a dungeon) is completed, and players will be allowed a rebuild. If I make minor tweaks as we go along, then rebuilds will be limited to retraining as per Ultimate Campaign (although if the tweak was significant enough I may waive the gp cost).
Fair enough. I reworked Jamir to be an archer bard instead of the controller one I made.

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Scott said:
I need to keep that in mind.
Actually I have not had an issue with your posting 2x/day, Scott. It never resulted in that flurry of posting that kinem and I were talking about because it never reached 3x/day. I can provide other feedback if you would like, but this is not the place for it. ;)

The 1x/day posting frequency issue is one of those issues that can be hard to criticize, because as a GM or a player, it can be worse to discourage people from posting. I stick with the rule myself, except on very rare occasions.

The biggest problem I have had with those runaway IC scenes has been when I posted an interaction with an NPC, the other players did not post anything for a few days before the GM updated. But after the update, they jumped all over the reply and then GM replies again. Then I wake up the next morning RL to find 2-3 exchanges and decisions made and resolved during the 8 hours I was off-line.

I fully blame the GM under those circumstances, because they control it. There is generally never a reason for a GM to update more than 1x/day outside of combat unless the scene has already had a response from every character present.

airwalkrr said:
I think we're ready to start. I'll get the IC up in an hour or two.
Yay!
Umm, is it up yet?

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Also, second post is up in the IC.
I noticed that. You did not even wait 24 hours for me and Mowgli to hit our posting windows since the first post. ;)

I generally will always be able to post once per day, but window for doing so is only about 3-5 hours. If I have free time at work, I do get to draft posts off-line and then shotgun blast them to the threads at the beginning of my posting window. Sadly, today was not one of those days.

I will try getting a post up now.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads