Airwalkrr's Temple of Elemental Evil (IC)

airwalkrr

Adventurer
[sblock=Blackrat]Aredal realizes that the Old Faith refers to an ancient Flan religion that is still fairly prominent among people of the Sheldomar Valley (just to the south of Hommlet). They revere a number of nature deities and spirits, but adherents are primarily devoted to the worship of Beory, the Oerth Mother. The vast majority of Old Faith priests are druids or bards.[/sblock]

[sblock=Brachna]Incidentally, with Knowledge (history), you do realize that the most recent troubles with the Temple were six years ago. In the aftermath of the Temple's defeat a number of outposts of evil were raided and much of the loot was funneled into Hommlet's economy, it being the nearest municipality. Consequently, a number of locals have done fairly well for themselves.[/sblock]

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
"Thank you good woman. May the gods bless your house and may the sun smile gently down upon you." Aredal says warmly when he is done with the goodwife. Then he turns to Vicroar and talks in elven: "I believe you just gave each children an equalent of their parents income of a month. We humans don't live in same kind of prosperity as your people do good friend. I think she was a bit shocked by your action." He then faces Drynethael as they walk down the road following Mulnock towards the inn. "Yes, I must agree that this village seems a bit prosperous. Ah the Old Faith. I could ofcourse give a lecture about theology but I have a feeling all you want is a simple answer. Simply put they follow a druidic tradition that is quite prominent in these parts. The main deity of which is the Oerth Mother."

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
Vicroar nods at his human companion. He should of thought about how the woman would react. Sometime, he will have to sit down and talk with them. He had years to spend learning. He sighs audibly and follows his companions.

Brachna

First Post
"Thank you, Aredal. I was afraid for a moment that the 'old religion' she referred to was somehow linked to the Temple or some other dark power. I'm relieved to hear it is merely a more druidic tradition" Drynethael stares at the buildings in silence for a bit longer, apparently lost in thought, before slapping his hand against his head and muttering a curse to himself in elven. "Of course! How could I have forgotten! Six years ago, after the fall of the Temple, adventurers looted the cult's abandoned holdings, donating a goodly portion of their findings to the people of Hommslet.

That would go a long way in explaining the town's prosperity. I apologize. I forget sometimes how much you humans squeeze into the span of just six years' time. To us in Celene, it sometimes seems as though the Temple fell only last week."
Drynethael silently berated himself for letting his own unfortunate history with humankind momentarily cloud his judgement towards them. After all, he reminded himself, not all humans are violent or self-serving, as his companion Aredal has demonstrated time and again.

Drynethael nods to Dolan as he sees the dwarf walking out of the smithy. He turns to Vicroar and briefly grins. He says, in Elven, "Ai shaeloli Ai ordi o ei pol, thol. Ai shyr cali mys si pas shyr cali shael sai si salaes thos."

[sblock=Vicroar]
"It appears I owe you a drink, friend. I would have sworn the dwarf would have visited the tavern first."[/sblock]

Then, in Common, "I do hope Mulnock doesn't charge the equivalent of a small kingdom to our tab before we can catch up to him." Drynethael muses as he watches the gnome enter the tavern.

Voda Vosa

First Post
"Ah, elves always do that I tell you. They seem to live in a realm of trees, and you, humans, are like the little ants running over their branches. I found been gnome to be a blessing in this lifespan matters. Not too short, not to long lives. Aye... Been gnome is like my old father use to say 'A fair trade' " Mulnock says with satisfaction.

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
I am eager to learn what surrounds this town. I can see where the inn is, I will meet up with you there, by sundown. I shall not venture far, simply to the edge of town. Vicroar heads off in the direction they entered the town from. He is going to walk around the edge of the town, going clockwise.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Entering the Inn of the Welcome Wench, you can see the place is bright and cheerful. It contains several rough-hewn tables and chairs, boards, and benches. Natural tree trunk pillars support the ceiling overhead, all dark with smoke and age. A motley group of people is here.

[sblock=Vicroar]How far around the outside of town do you wish to skirt? Do you wish to travel all the way around the town?[/sblock]

OOC: I will post a map of the inn tomorrow.

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
"Well then my new friends. Let's sit down and plan our next course of action shall we." Aredal says as he picks a table and orders some ale. "It's not a good idea to rush into things without planning. The woman said we could talk to someone called Ashstaff, or maybe go to the tower in the eastern edge of Hommlet and find the local law-enforcers of sort." He then smiles a bit as he looks their rugged group. "Also, we never had a good change to get to know eachother on the road. I would like to know more about all of you."

[sblock=OOC]I just realised that Aredal and Drynethael must look quite a bit alike. They are about the same height as Aredal is quite short for human. Both have shoulderlenght blond hair and deep-blue eyes. The only things to differ them is that Aredal is a bit more muscular, doesn't have pointy ears and is starting to show a tenday stuble of a beard :D .[/sblock]

Brachna

First Post
"Agreed." Drynethael says as he sets his traveling satchel on the ground next to his chair. A noticeable sigh of relief escapes his lips as he unburdens himself. "It would do well to discuss our mission and, I must admit, I wouldn't mind relaxing a bit myself." He shifts his deep purple cloak to the side as he seats himself. The lantern light reflects off of the shining silver studs in his blackened leather armor, appearing as stars in the night sky. He asks the serving wench for a glass of elven wine.

Drynethael nods his head at Aredal. "This Ashstaff fellow seems to be someone knowledgeable on this bandit activity. I assume that is what we are all here to investigate? I know that is first and foremost what my Order sent me out here to do. I would say we she speak to him first."

As Aredal mentions introductions, Drynethael again nods. "Yes, I must admit, introductions carried out upon the road are informal at best, what with the dangers and burdens a long travel through the wilds entails. I am Drynethael Midurien, Initiate of the Order of the Hart, based out of Celene." In a lower voice, he continues. "My Order has sent me here to investigate the recent surge in bandit activity and to see if they have any ties to the rumored resurrection of the Temple.

I confess, it is fortuitous I encountered all of you along the way, for in all my 142 years on this Oerth, I still do not understand the idiosyncracies of human interaction...the sudden transitions of mood...the crass mannerisms...the proclivity of your people to shout..."
Realizing Aredal might not take kindly to his words, he pauses. "Forgive me, Aredal. I meant no offense to you. It's just that I... haven't spent much time around your people and it's a bit of a cultural shock for me, I'm afraid."

Taking a sip of his wine, Drynethael leans back. "And what about the rest of you? I'd be interested in hearing who exactly I've been travelling with myself."

Remove ads