Aliens vs Predator: The Survey

Aliens vs Predator: Which is your favorite franchise?

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Thats tough. Both have good and very bad movies...

alien vs predator aliens GIF

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Alien. It's not particularly close, either.

The Predator franchise has exactly two good films. The original film is a classic of 80s action cinema. The recent movie, Prey, is pretty good. The rest vary between bad and unwatchable.

The Alien franchise, on the other hand ....

The original series had:
Two movies that are all-time greats.
The first is a classic of horror. Moreover, the ideas, concepts, and Giger designs kicked off a lot of what we think about in terms of a visual science fiction vocabulary.
The second is one of the all-time great science fiction action movies.
The third movie, while certainly flawed, is at least interesting in a lot of ways.
There is no fourth movie.

As for the recent continuation, well, I enjoyed the movies, even though I wanted them to be ... more. Both Prometheus and Covenant had excellent parts, that just didn't live up to how game-breaking the first two movies were.

So it's not close. Alien > Predator.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Gonna go with Alien but it's a tougher call since Prey came out on Hulu. And that's largely because, as Snarf points out, both of the Alien franchise's two good movies are really head and shoulders above most other movies in their genres and Predator's two good movies don't stand quite as tall (though, again, Prey was VERY good).

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
The Predator franchise has exactly two good films. The original film is a classic of 80s action cinema. The recent movie, Prey, is pretty good. The rest vary between bad and unwatchable.
Ooh, that feels unfair to Predators, which I thought was very good, but which has been straight up memory holed by everyone.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
While Predator had 1-2 good movies and a lot of great comic book stories, it's Alien all the way for me. As already said, the first two films in the franchise are absolute masterpiece-level classics. It's not even close.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Ooh, that feels unfair to Predators, which I thought was very good, but which has been straight up memory holed by everyone.

Preferences are subjective!

I honestly think that the franchise has so many straight-up absolutely terrible films, that any movie that reaches (but does not quite hit) the level of almost mediocre feels like Citzen Kane.

I really think that the franchise has only had two good movie (the first one, and the last one), and neither of them comes close to the iconic first two movies in the Alien franchise.

That's not even a slight. Very few franchises are able to put out two movies as compelling and as meaningful to the genre as the Alien/Aliens twofer.

Remove ads