Aliens vs Predator: The Survey

Aliens vs Predator: Which is your favorite franchise?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I need to rewatch Predators (after I see Prey). It may be that it's good-for-a-Predator-movie, but not actually good. That said, Robert Rodguez's stuff works for me, even when it gets dopey*, so I was predisposed to like Predators.

* It almost always gets dopey eventually.

My order
Aliens 2
Predator-
Alien

It’s the casts in the films that make all 3 so good and memorable. Get to the choppa etc are lines over 30 years old and are just classics. Alien is the best for atmosphere and pure horror
Prey is good but both franchises are bad directing and casting etc. I’m hoping the alien tv series can bring it back. The closest I’ve seen is star trek gorn

Alien by a huge margin.

The original is one of my favorite films of all time, and holds up oh so well as time goes on. It's just plain art. Aliens was also amazing, if slightly less timeless. And I'll gladly stand up and defend Resurrection and Prometheus to anyone who wants to actually discuss them. Even 3 and Covenant, while not great, have their good points and are at least watchable. Alien also has an undeniably larger legacy in both pop culture and film history.

Predator was a great stand alone. Prey was good. Everything else is camp at best. Sometimes fun, for sure, but not "good" in most ways that count.

I'll also throw out there that AvP was a fun romp, but as a whole that franchise is better suited to video games and comics. It shouldn't be canon for either bases.

As a late note, I'll also posit that both Alien and Aliens are cases where theatrical cut is actually better than the director's cut. While I have seen and appreciate all the deleted scenes, the stories are better without the added stuff.

Last edited:

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Alien by a huge margin.

The original is one of my favorite films of all time, and holds up oh so well as time goes on. It's just plain art. Aliens was also amazing, if slightly less timeless. And I'll gladly stand up and defend Resurrection and Prometheus to anyone who wants to actually discuss them. Even 3 and Covenant, while not great, have their good points and are at least watchable. Alien also has an undeniably larger legacy in both pop culture and film history.

Predator was a great stand alone. Prey was good. Everything else is camp at best. Sometimes fun, for sure, but not "good" in most ways that count.

I'll also throw out there that AvP was a fun romp, but as a whole that franchise is better suited to video games and comics. It shouldn't be canon for either bases.

As a late note, I'll also posit that both Alien and Aliens are cases where theatrical cut is actually better than the director's cut. While I have seen and appreciate all the deleted scenes, the stories are better without the added stuff.
Cmon!

Alien by a huge margin.

I love the added stuff especially the beginning scenes

As for the recent continuation, well, I enjoyed the movies, even though I wanted them to be ... more. Both Prometheus and Covenant had excellent parts, that just didn't live up to how game-breaking the first two movies were.
Prometheus and Covenant - the first half of both movies, in particular, could have been the core of a really interesting new sci-fi series, but the insistence on tying to the Alien films in a horribly hamhanded way ruined them both and cheapened the franchise they were trying to parasitise. That opening sequence of Covenant in particular, where they have the fire on the ship, was FAR better and more chilling than the entire rest of the movie, which was the bit that was SUPPOSED to be frightening!

Remove ads