Alignment: True versus Neutral

pemerton

Legend
The use of "ethics" to describe L/C, and of "morals" to descibe G/E, is largely a Gygax thing.

In ordinary English, ethics and morality are near enough to synonyms (eg there is no difference between "moral principles" and "a person's standards of behavior concerning what is and is not acceptable" - the latter is just a definition of the former).

In contemporary English-speaking moral philosophy, the word "morality" is often used to describe that part of ethics which deals with duties to others; the non-moral part of ethics would then deal with duties to self. In this usage, which is the only one that actually draws a meaningful distinction between the two words, whether to lie or keep a promise is a matter of morality (duty to others). Whether to be lazy or active would be a matter of (non-moral) ethics.

If we think of L/C as non-moral ethics, then the lawful person is the one who diligently pursues self-cultivation, while the chaotic person is irresolute. In D&D the stereotypes are the monk or paladin vs the bard or barbarian.

The only problem with this is that, in D&D, L and C are meant to be hostile to one another, whereas there is no reason why a dligent person and an irresolute person should be hostile to one another, unless they are forced to spend a lot of time in one another's company.

Last edited:

N'raac

First Post
Since real world ethical and moral philosophy is creeping in, I'll restate my view that we are dealing with fantasy morality and ethics in a game (or in a fantasy movie or book), and deep real world philosophy is about as relevant as having the item price list designed by real world economics experts, the world map drawn by an expert team of climatologists, the history of the game world developed by experts in history and sociology and a taxation system developed by real world experts in that field.

It's a fantasy game. It does not need deep real world philosophy to run effectively. I will suggest that, in many cases, excessive real world expertise would ruin, not run, the game.

And I'll add the obligatory mention of the real world physics of fire breathing flying dragons, the cube-square law's impact on giants and the lack of much real world comparability to the combat system.

Oh, and I ESPECIALLY don't care to discuss what Sigmund Freud thinks the significance of that big old two handed sword is!

Remove ads