• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

All Dual proffessions.......hhmmm... Dipfest!

Sravoff

First Post
Has any one let people multiclass following the rules fro humnas in 2e?

So a fighter reaches level six, and then decides to start on the path of the cleric.
When he gains another 1000 exp, he become a f6/c1.

This would probably need some balancing, as currently he gains far to many extra saves this way.

I am thinking. giv everything a level.
Saves have two levels. The good save level and the bad save level.
Bab has one level

Taking the f6/c1 example from before, he would have saves like this.
Fort: good, Level 7, bad level 0
Ref: bad level 7
Will Good level 1, bad level 6

take the better of the two save levels and add half the worse of the two save levels.

Base saves would be
Fort: +5
Ref: +2
Will:+3

all his classes give him a good fort save, so his fortitude save is a seventh level good fortitude save

All his classes give him a bad ref save so he has ref save of a 7th level bad save

his will save gets +2 from his bad levels, from the fighter, and a +2 from the good levels, from the cleric. Either way he gets a +3 bonus.

BaB: Each class gives a certain amount of bab levels. Those with full bab's give a +1 bonus per level, those with 3/4 give a +.75 per level, and those with 1/2 give a +.5 bonus.

So a first Sorc. 1/ Wiz 1 has a bab of +1. .5+.5=1
Saves of
F:+0
R:+0
W:+3

Hit Dice would alsoneed some revisions. When ever you gain a level in a non-primary class, any class that isn't you highest level class, you gain the average fo your primary class and your other class HD. round down.

So the fighter above would gain 5+4/2=4, so 4+con mod.

the sorcerer wizard cross would gain 2+con.

Any one need some clarification on any of that? I am not surte how well that flows.
Comments welcome, ^^
-Sravoff

Nyaricus

First Post
For the Class levels idea . . .it makes sense from an OOG POV, but realistically you will be getting a cleric level 6 suddenly taking a few fighter levels instead of one more cleric - and that's bad for game balance. Take out a few monsters and you could be gaining one or two levels every fight - even if it is in first or second levels. Perhaps your players won't do that ALL the time - but you still leave that door open, and that could make the game unfun, fast. That's Prolly why that was left out in 3.x .

As for the Saves bonuses - that makes a lot of sense. It means that multiclass characters with a shared bad save wont be left behind a single class that share the same bad save. In fact Unearthed Arcana included your very ruling in it's book - Page 73. Also there are rules for Fractional BAB, on top of the Saves.

Basically it works the same way - you justv take the actual values before rounding them down, like in the PHB

ex, a rogue actually gains +3/4 BAB a level, but this is rounded down to 0, and a Wizards gains +1/2 BAB per level, rounded down to 0. The standard rules say a Rogue 1/Wizard 1 would have +0 BAB, using Fractional values, this character would have +1 (+1 1/4 rounded down). If this character gain another level in rogue, he'd add +3/4 BAB, bringing his BAB up to +2 (1 1/4 + 3/4).

i like this, and use it in all of my campaigns :)

Good on you for thinking of it on your own - I did a similar thing with my weapon Groups before Unearther Arcana heh heh heh.

Cheers!

Nyaricus

First Post
PS - i didn't catch that HP thing at the bottom - good call. This makes sense, if you just want to include your primary class. This would make primary classes more important overall - but perhaps too important. I don't like the concpet that all Dwarven adventurers are fighters, all elves are wizards, all hobb- err, halfings are rogues, etc. This pidegon-holes them too much. I think that a restriction of certain classes (no elven Paladins, for example) would be better in this case - more 2e. What i would do is jut let characters take classes in what is acceptable within their cultures/races - with a reduced XP penalty. Either doing this or keeping standard rules couls still allow you to this varient rule (of your varient rule)

What i would do would be:
For multiclassed characters, divide the maximum HP by 2 each, add those together, and divide by the number of classes. Single class charatcer must always take 1/2 HPs.

ex1) Single class Fighter gets 5+con per level

ex2) Fighter 1/Wizard 1 gains +5 from fighter, +2 from Wizard = 7/2 = 3+con

ex3 Fighter 1/Wizard 1/Rogue 1 gains +5 from fighter, +2 from Wizard +3 from Rogue for 10/3 = 3 +con

ex 4 Fighter 2/Wizard 1/Rogue 1 gains +10 from fighter, +2 from Wizard +3 from Rogue for 15/4 = 3+con

total @level 4 = 14 + 4 x con (and all of his training from each class weights in)

compare this to standard rules. ex 1 gets 5+con, ex 2 gets 2+con, ex 3 gets 3+con. ex 4 gets 5+con

total @ level 4 = 15 x 4 x con (each class gives benefits individually)

compare this to yours: ex 1 gains 5+con, ex 2 gains 3+con, ex 3 gains 4+con, ex 4 gains 5+con

total @ level 4 = 17+ 4 x con.

so standard rules gives average, yours gives more, adn mine gives less.

Consider the ideas here though. In my concept, all you class levels weight eveenly - they all have a lasting impact on your characters lifetime, whihc makes sense. WotCs version says that each levels in an individual entity of it's own, and you concpet states that their primary class gives the most impact in a character's lifetime - even if that class would be later cast aside. I am not sure i agree with yours or WotC's - and althoug miy version is more underpowered, it is more representitive of how specific "training" and such impacts a characters carreer - whihc is basically un-represented in stanard ruels and is partially shown in yours (which was a very good start and whihc provoked me to go off on this tangent in the first place).

Anyways, i hope this helped yo in some way of another :D Later!!

Nyaricus

First Post
magic_gathering2001 said:
You could just use the best from each level
ie: 5ftr 5wiz
Fort of 5ftr
Will of 5Wiz
Spell of 5Wiz
BAB of 5 ftr

. . . and make it some horrible wanna-be gestalt character. Yours gives worse everything, adn isnt particularily balanced - but hey, i didn't catch it at first either :p

later!

Felnar

First Post
didnt 2d ed just use the best from either class? (ie. a 6th level cleric taking a level of fighter didnt get better Thaco)

True mine isn't tested but, giving the worst of everything isn't correct. It gives the best of one thing but only using that things levels so that if you dip you won't gain much at all. Maybe averaged would be better

ftr 5 wiz 5
20000xp
Attack +3
Will +2
Fort +2
Ref +1
HP 20
Splls 3 wiz
3 bonus feats

ftr 7
21000xp
Attack +7
Will +2
Fort +5
Ref +2
HP 38.5
Splls 0 wiz
3 bonus feats

wiz 7
21000xp
Attack +3
Will +5
Fort +2
Ref +2
HP 17.5
Splls 7 wiz
2 bonus feats

Sravoff

First Post
By primary I didn't mean your favored class, though I fogot to explain what primary was, my bad. :p

A characters primary class is her highest class level. If two or more are tied, the class with better HD is used.

So an eighth level wizard that picks up a level in fighter would get 3+con modifier in HP. Not as much as a true fighter, but it gives the weapon and armor proficiencies and the extra good fort save. At a very much reduced cost.

-Sravoff

Remove ads