Almost every fantasy show is trying to be D&D or Game of Thrones

it's been brought to my attention that alot of fantasy shows lately, Witcher Blood Origins, Wheel of Time, Willow, Dragon Knight, Rings of Power seem to be trying to be D&D shows instead of sticking to the themes of those settings, and to one degree or another they are pissing off their respective fandoms for it.

Also lot of accusations of too modern language use not fitting for the settings which makes me think of Vox Machina, but Exandria has some of that baked it, so it's not a problem for Vox Machina.

Its left me wondering if a lot of the showrunners are CR fans frustrated that they don't have access to D&D worlds like Forgotten Realms or Exandria, so they try and make the fantasy setting they get into D&D shows even when it doesn't fit the setting.

The other big fantasy influence that doesn't work for every iP is Game of Thrones, although this is less frequent.

This could become a problem for the fantasy genre long term, like there are a whole bunch of popular 3rd party D&D Campaign settings with fans you can makes deals for Hollywood if that is what it really wants.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Heh there's maybe 3 good fantasy shows atm. Witcher, Game of Thrones and Shadow and Bone.

RoP had 2-3 good episodes and the rest were low side of average.

Wife vetoed Witcher Blood origins.

Willow is somehow worse than the movie it's based on. Rewatched said movie couple of days before Willow started enjoyed it.

And then there is WoT. Don't have much desire to rewatch that one.

Shadow and Bone was fairly original I thought based on new series of books. Enjoyed it even more on recent rewatch. Entire season cost about the same as 1 episode of RoP lol.

Jahydin

Hero
I think its actually due to creators prioritizing evangelizing the same shared progressive ideals rather than be faithful to the source materials and their fandoms.

Not saying this isn't admirable (I think it is), but if everyone is using the same "blue print" to create things, we get generic settings with predictable character arcs.

Heh there's maybe 3 good fantasy shows atm. Witcher, Game of Thrones and Shadow and Bone.

RoP had 2-3 good episodes and the rest were low side of average.

Wife vetoed Witcher Blood origins.

Willow is somehow worse than the movie it's based on. Rewatched said movie couple of days before Willow started enjoyed it.

And then there is WoT. Don't have much desire to rewatch that one.

Shadow and Bone was fairly original I thought based on new series of books. Enjoyed it even more on recent rewatch. Entire season cost about the same as 1 episode of RoP lol.

They didn't try and turn Blood and Shadow and Game of Thrones in D&D knock offs.

There is some great fantasy anime series too.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Its left me wondering if a lot of the showrunners are CR fans frustrated that they don't have access to D&D worlds like Forgotten Realms or Exandria, so they try and make the fantasy setting they get into D&D shows even when it doesn't fit the setting.

What? Nobody working with Middle-Earth, or the Wheel of Time, is lacking for cool setting to work with.

I think you may be confusing an effort to make epic fantasy accessible for an attempt to make it "D&D".

Remove ads