Almost every fantasy show is trying to be D&D or Game of Thrones

I think it's a lot more nuanced than that, to be honest.
For sure.

My broad point, though, is that the writing in Ragnarok, and God of War before it, comes from a philosophical and moral perspective on the world that aligns with the sort of 'progressive ideology' that a few posters here have b*tched about.

I have for decades striven to make good faith attempts to understand the perspectives of people who align with the political right in the US, and thankfully many are still pretty reasonable and just caught up in tribal loyalties to a team that's lead by scoundrels. But I've come to the conclusion that a lot of right-wingers just genuinely don't agree with me on what it means to be a good person, on the value of humility, or on the importance of seeking to live in harmony with others rather than exerting force to get what you want.

No, Kratos isn't presiding over a lesbian marriage or anything else that's a current signifier of our ongoing culture war, but he's definitely an icon of 'how to go from being a giant piece of crap with deep grievances to being a decent person who tries to improve the world instead of lashing out.'

And that's kinda the crux of a lot of political disputes these days. Like, we're really far from the mid-century political ideal of "one party advocates that investing more in X will yield better results for the public, while the other party wants to remove regulation Y in hopes private innovation will produce good outcomes." Instead, we've got a LOT of people who are angry, and wholly unwilling to consider gradual compromise and peaceful coexistence, and instead think breaking things and letting people suffer is GOOD.

The new era of God of War is not a story that a right-winger would write.

What we are seeing, I think, is a generational shift in program makers. It used to be that the people making the TV shows had never played D&D, and it showed. These days, a lot of the people working in the media have played D&D, even if they are not current players. It's a hobby that attracts creative types. And, once you have played D&D, it's pretty difficult not to be influenced by it.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
What we are seeing, I think, is a generational shift in program makers. It used to be that the people making the TV shows had never played D&D, and it showed. These days, a lot of the people working in the media have played D&D, even if they are not current players. It's a hobby that attracts creative types. And, once you have played D&D, it's pretty difficult not to be influenced by it.
I still dont know what a D&D influence on film/TV production looks like?

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Probably much like generic fantasy as D&D is largely influenced by other media, which in turn is reflected in that media.
Sure, but the premise seems to be that nobody played D&D, but now everybody does, and it shows in writing. No one has really explained what that looks like, but seems to operate like its a thing. 🤷‍♂️

Ryujin

Legend
Sure, but the premise seems to be that nobody played D&D, but now everybody does, and it shows in writing. No one has really explained what that looks like, but seems to operate like its a thing. 🤷‍♂️
Yeah, I question the premise on its face. D&D came about in such a way as to be influenced by the fantasy that already existed. People who are seeing D&D influence other media are likely just looking at it though the wrong end of the telescope.

Remove ads