Almost every fantasy show is trying to be D&D or Game of Thrones

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
Westworld-sci-fi/fantasy started off great but clearly fell of rails after season 1 and cancelled after season 3
Techically cancelled after season 4...
Do people think their favorite shows could be cancelled. For me I think house of dragon and mandalorian are more than safe however I’m nervous about andor as most people I talked 2 struggled with first 2 episodes
I agree that House of the Dragon and The Mandalorian are safe for now, mostly because they are limited in the tales thay have to tell. IIRC, HotD is supposed to be three seasons only. No one has expressly said The Mandalorian will be a set number of seasons, but I think Favreau and Filoni have a definite story they want to tell, and it has an endpoint. I think five seasons will be the ticket.
I think the Witcher is in real danger of eventually being cancelled as Netflix is quick to pull trigger .
The loss of Henry Cavill may be the doom of The Witcher, but we will get him in season 3, and I think Netflix will give season 4 a go with Liam. If Liam does a good job, they might get a renewal.
I think one ring is safe and wot has 3 seasons minimum according to a recent magazine.
Amazon has committed to a 5 season minimum for Rings of Power.
Not hearing much on some Disney shows such as boba fett
Book of Boba Fett might be done, but that may be an intentional one season show, as part of Filoni and Favreau's master story.

This is the same problem with creativity problem in all of Hollywood.

It's already bad that the typical writer will think "D&D" and "Game of Thrones" and "Lord of the Rings" and a couple others as soon as they think "fantasy". And the average or worse writer does not take the old and mix in new stuff: they just copy the old stuff.

I gets worse when the writer does not even know or understand they are doing the above.

The final part is the people in the suits, the ones that control the money. They can be handed the most unique content....and they will refuse it and say "rewirte this so it's D&D and Game of Thrones like,'cause that is so super duper cool." Then they have to follow orders: the people in suits are in charge.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Angry Lebron James GIF by Bleacher Report

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
It's a story about the rejection of generational trauma, and an effort to overcome toxic masculinity.
Forgive the pedantry, but you're talking about God of War: Ragnarok rather than God of War.

That said, I disagree that this is political (though the term seems to have become plastic enough to mean virtually anything at this point, so perhaps that's moot). For one thing, it's not about "toxic masculinity" at all, insofar that the game contains neither a specific message nor any underlying implications that the themes you've identified have anything to do with being a man. Quite the contrary, by showcasing that Freya is heading down the same path as Kratos (until Atreus helps her stop), the game makes it expressly clear that the toxicity in question is not masculine, but rather is a universal message about being so lost in your own pain that you take it out on the entire world.
It's also a story about going to great lengths to try to avert what seems like an inevitable war, against a foe who insists on pursuing that war, and trying to change one's own nature so that you don't fall into a predictable tragedy.
Again, I'm not sure where the political slant is there. Leaving aside that they ultimately fail to avert the war in question (since, spoiler alert, Ragnarok happens), the issue of avoiding tragedy by changing yourself is operatic in nature (it's no small irony that Kratos, up until that point, seems like a character in a Greek tragedy), but it also ultimately validates the idea that you can't necessarily avert a conflict if the other party is intent on causing harm. Kratos has already realized that he needs to change his nature when he confronts Heimdall, but is ultimately given no choice but to slay him.
Now, all of that is allegorical, but if I told you I was going to make a video game about a man rejecting toxic masculinity and trying to avoid war by learning forgiveness, trust, and love, somebody would call me a woke hippie snowflake, probably.
Sure, but that'd be because they could point out that an identification of a theme doesn't necessarily indicate what's there. It's like a Rorschach test, where you can make a believable allegory for almost anything by identifying points of perceived commonality; that doesn't mean those points hold water beyond, as you noted, allegorical similarity.

This guy breaks it down quite well, to my mind (albeit for movies instead of games):

The main villain, Odin, is sort of the negative parts of capitalism personified -- he pursues 'knowledge' that is undefined, with no specific goal and no mention of how he might use that 'knowledge' to help anyone but himself, which I read as a stand-in for the pointless pursuit of bigger piles of cash rather than using money as a way to pursue improvements in the world. He also uses overwhelming military force (aka, Thor) to force the other realms to submit to him, and in some places that leads to the crushing of local cultures and environment-destroying exploitation of natural resources that leave the residents dependent on a distorted supply chain which invariably siphons prosperity to Asgard and the Aesir.
And in this case, I disagree. While I can certainly see interpreting Odin's actions in that manner (though the implication, as I read it, was that he had a particular goal in that being able to look into the rift without harm would let him avoid prophecy and change his fate, as he believed that it was scripted and virtually unalterable, at least without extraordinary actions). His selfishness, antagonism toward others, and lack of genuine empathy could be taken as a representation of virtually any amoral system, be it military, economic, social, etc. in nature. To ascribe that as being indicative of any specific doctrine, and therefore political, is an opinion rather than a fact.
You seek forgiveness from a woman you've wronged, and she ends up your most powerful ally. Like, you actively risk your life to try to help her and to make amends. You grow as a person in the course of doing so.
There's an asterisk to the idea that Kratos wronged Freya in his killing Baldur. He says that the mistake he made was taking the decision of how to deal with him away from her, but quite frankly that struck me as odd, since at the end of the previous game Baldur made it clear that he was intent on murdering Freya, which was wrong even if she herself consented to being killed by him. To that extent, I'm unclear on what the practical impact of Kratos "letting her decide" would have looked like (and it avoids the issue that she was wrong to force invincibility on Baldur against his will in the first place, as it made him miserable to the point of madness).
And the game repeatedly argues that taking an action simply because it will hurt someone you see as an enemy is unjustified and will end up coming back to hurt you or those you care about.
I think it's a lot more nuanced than that, to be honest. It argues that there needs to be greater justification for taking up arms against someone than simply identifying them as working towards interests you don't hold, but still identifies that bad people who do bad things need to be stopped. It doesn't suggest that war is wrong, just that the reasons for engaging in it need to be held to a higher standard. The game still ends with the final enemy being killed; it's just portrayed as more justified than revenge (Sindri notwithstanding).

This is the same problem with creativity problem in all of Hollywood.

It's already bad that the typical writer will think "D&D" and "Game of Thrones" and "Lord of the Rings" and a couple others as soon as they think "fantasy". And the average or worse writer does not take the old and mix in new stuff: they just copy the old stuff.

I gets worse when the writer does not even know or understand they are doing the above.

The final part is the people in the suits, the ones that control the money. They can be handed the most unique content....and they will refuse it and say "rewirte this so it's D&D and Game of Thrones like,'cause that is so super duper cool." Then they have to follow orders: the people in suits are in charge.
Exactly
Perfect example-He-man. Fine cartoon for its day. Let’s take the character and teleport him to modern times. Destroys any potential for the franchise to resume as it lost a lot of money and was a bad movie. That most likely was a bad script approved by suits
3 Star Wars movies- let’s split up directors . That’s a suits decision.
Dr who late 80’s-suits and directors came in and intentionally destroyed a property
Firefly-did a network intentionally destroy this potential franchise?
All the previous d&d movies- not sure if it was suits and bad directing but they just worse
I don’t think anyone is saying let’s make this like got or d&d as it seems most in Hollywood don’t know what d&d is and none in f this competing franchises are anything like GOT
I’m going to take cavil lay his word that the director really didn’t care and he had to step in. The problem with season 4 is I’m willing to bet hemsworth is just doing it for the job and doesn’t know or care about the little things which I don’t blame him as it’s not his job

Perfect example-He-man. Fine cartoon for its day. Let’s take the character and teleport him to modern times. Destroys any potential for the franchise to resume as it lost a lot of money and was a bad movie. That most likely was a bad script approved by suits

The live action MotU movie was awesome. It's a very bad example for this thread, as it actually brought innovation to the franchise. And it's one of the few movies of it's type that isn't an origin story.

3 Star Wars movies- let’s split up directors . That’s a suits decision.

The original trilogy had three different directors.

All the previous d&d movies- not sure if it was suits and bad directing but they just worse

If anything, suits from Hollywood would have helped the last D&D movie. One of the biggest problems was that TSR management shut out lots of great producers, directors, and writers with actual film experience.

I get what you're trying to say here, but your examples are terrible.

Last edited:

The live action MotU movie was awesome. It's a very bad example for this thread, as it actually brought innovation to the franchise. And it's one of the few movies of it's type that isn't an origin story.

The original trilogy had three different directors.

If anything, suits from Hollywood would have helped the last D&D movie. One of the biggest problems was that TSR management shut out lots of great producers, directors, and writers with actual film experience.

I get what you're trying to say here, but your examples are terrible.
Motu was a critical failure. Made less than its budget. Mattel was heavily involved and caused delays in filming. It led to the eventual closure of a film company. The planned sequel was Heman was going to be a quarterback. Might be campy fun but it’s not good

I agree on trilogy however there was a plan and oversight. There wasn’t what the 3rd trilogy had

D&d movie I consider tsr to be the suits but the director (Solomon ) was awful and it basically killed the franchise for 20 years

Remove ads