• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Alternative ranger combat styles

Evil Monkey

First Post
Dragon #326 has 5 new ranger combat styles (probably in Class Acts, don't have the mag with me right now). They are:

Beast Wrestling (unarmed combat)
Mounted Combat (hrm, wonder what that could be? haha :p )
Piscator (fighting w/ net and another weapon)
Strong Arm (brute force)
Throwing Style (another obvious one :) )

Wolf72

Explorer
here are somemore ... (edited for OGL and what not)

Standard Ranger Feat Tree
Ranged (Rapid Shot/Many Shot/Improved Precise Shot)
Two-Weapon (Two-Weapon Fighting/Improved TWF/Greater TWF)

Ranger Feat Trees (Dragon 341??)
Rider
Beast-Wrestling
Piscator
Strong-Arm
Throwing

Other Feat Trees (Wolf72) (not sure on balance, just some ideas I came up with)
Runner (Run/Mobility/Shot on the Run)
Beast Lord (Wild Cohort/Animal Affinity/Leadership) ... in addition to Ranger's animal companion [3rd edit ...] Some more on this one. I kind of envisioned a ranger using the leadership feat for a non-standard cohort (another animal or magical beast) ... and with the DM's permission non-standard followers (wolf pack, murder of ravens, ... etc)
Rock (Toughness*/Dwarf’s Toughness/Giant’s Toughness) (3+6+9=+18 hp ... grant max hd for everty toughness and it adds up)

Black Company Feat Trees
Light Weapons (finesee fighter with spring attack)
Two-Handed (cleave machine)

*alt toughness feat: taking toughness feats (not imp toughness) also grants the character max HD for that level. If taken at 1st level the characters 2nd HD is max'd.

Last edited:

Evil Monkey

First Post
Wolf72 said:
here are somemore ... (edited for OGL and what not)
Ranger Feat Trees (Dragon 341)
Rider
Beast-Wrestling
Piscator
Strong-Arm
Throwing

Are you sure these are from Dragon #341? My lists say #326. I could be wrong (it's been known to happen :p ), but #341 was pretty recent and I don't remember that article being so recent. I just want to make sure I have the correct issue # in my lists. :)

Wolf72

Explorer
Evil Monkey said:
Are you sure these are from Dragon #341? My lists say #326. I could be wrong (it's been known to happen :p ), but #341 was pretty recent and I don't remember that article being so recent. I just want to make sure I have the correct issue # in my lists. :)

I don't get Dragon and relied on my BCCS sooo ... the best bet is to go with your information, mine may be suspect. (I'll go ahead and put a ? next the number to help avoid further confusions)

taliesin15

First Post
Also the hunter/trapper type works well. I have a high level evil Ranger NPC of this design. What about also Rangers who strike like assasins? Using subdual weapons and such? Then there's poisoned weapons.

Ranger5

First Post
Also Unearthed Arcana has the option of dropping the combat style all together in favor of limited Wild Shape as a druid and fast movement as the barbarian.

From the SRD:

Ranger
A ranger might forgo training in weapon combat in exchange for the ability to take animal form and move swiftly through the woodlands.

Gain
Wild shape (as druid; Small or Medium animals only), fast movement (as barbarian).

Lose
Combat style, improved combat style, combat style mastery.

Remove ads