Alternative to ENWorld for 5E Discussions

discosoc

First Post
Giantitp is probably the best place for getting questions answered. I think Reddit is probably best for general conversations about DnD. Topics get derailed just as much as here, but the way conversations are threaded means it's much easier to skip over large chunks of stuff you don't care about. I think that's really the biggest problem with ENWorld's old school forum format.

Stack Exchange is often just as good as Giantitp. I've never been a big fan of Google Communities, so can't comment on that particular one.

There's honestly not a lot else, unless you're looking for stuff that's more specialized (like the Candlekeep forums).

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
I like reddit for asking a question and getting some responses, but I find it hard to have a discussion on there. Looking at that google community makes my head hurt. I like Google+, but again it's great for sharing things, but not for discussion. I like gitp I've noticed things are a little more player focused there as opposed to DM focused. stackechange is more about getting factual answers over opinions or discussions. I haven't found it all that useful. Rpgnet is pretty good.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
GiantITP is probably the best overall. Reddit is pretty good, although I prefer /r/UnearthedArcana for homebrew, the discussions on /r/DnDNext are fairly....facile.

RPGnet tends to have good discussion, but if you're looking for another place because of today's events, you won't be any happier over there. RPGnet's moderation team is both very progressive and very intense.

RPGnet tends to have good discussion, but if you're looking for another place because of today's events, you won't be any happier over there. RPGnet's moderation team is both very progressive and very intense.
Yes, being ... exclusive in the name of inclusivity is the height of hypocrisy. And to do it with a hammer is .. unfortunate.

Normally things are handled much more maturely. I guess I've been growing tired of some of the endless debates and this has made me realize I might be better off elsewhere.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Yes, being ... exclusive in the name of inclusivity is the height of hypocrisy. And to do it with a hammer is .. unfortunate.

Normally things are handled much more maturely. I guess I've been growing tired of some of the endless debates and this has made me realize I might be better off elsewhere.

The other option is to just ignore the conversation for while it lasts... knowing full well that another thing will take its place in the argumentative consciousness of the readers here. Because no matter where someone goes, there will be always discussions about stuff that a person will find irritating or bothersome. It's inescapable. So if a site is otherwise a good place to discuss that which you care to discuss... you might as well stick around. Because more often than not... the grass is *not* greener and all that.

Heck, every time a "Here's how Stealth is supposed to work!" thread shows up and expands out to 50 pages I keep thinking to myself "Is ENWorld really the best place to be, because these people are ridiculous!" Then I look around and discover that nope... the ridiculous people who keep thinking there's a One True Way stealth is supposed to work in 5E can be found everywhere. And I stay here at ENWorld because it's really the best board to discuss D&D overall. And I just don't click on the thread and will wait for it to drop to the second page. ;)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

As this is clearly a thread about moderation policies here, I'll move it to Meta for you.

Remove ads