Amazon and Preordering

Patlin

Explorer
I'm in a similar position. I preordered from Paizo to make use of my store credit from the demise of the magazines. I like slipcovers, so I'm getting the gift set.

Mercule said:
I'd caution you on upgrading, or at least paying very much to do so. D&D books aren't a high-priority "new release" and they aren't going to spend any time trying to time the shipment to arrive on the 6th. They may not even worry about getting it out the door on the 6th.

I stuck with the free shipping because I don't expect to get the books until the next week, anyway, and I figure what's the difference between seven and nine days, really? If it was actually going to shave off a week, I might rethink.

YMMV.

I'd also add that while waiting for the books to arrive there should be plenty of reading to do.

First, I understand some sort of SRD type document will be available on the 6th, so I can read that while waiting for my books. Second, the discussion here is likely to be quite lively. All in all, I'm going to try to be patient. :)

malraux

First Post
I've got to say that if you're going to be a cheap miser and not buy from your FLGS, and not pay for extra shipping, getting it on release day shouldn't be your expectation. Of course, I'd put myself in that category.

MortalPlague

Adventurer
I went the amazon route, with the express shipping. Sure it cost a bit more, but getting my books faster and still getting them far cheaper than I would at the hobby store is worth it in my mind. :)

Green Knight

First Post
Paying the extra $4 for Standard Shipping is worth it, apparently. My ship date got moved up from January 10th to January 6th when I switched.

Anyway, I'm planning on taking part in Worldwide D&D Game Day on June 7th. So if my books get shipped a couple days early and arrive in time, then fantastic. If not, I'll be buying a PHB from one of the local game stores. Between that and Amazon, I'll end up paying about the same amount for buying the core books at full price, except that I'll be getting an extra PHB for free (No downside, there. An extra PHB will probably come in handy, anyway).

malraux

First Post
Green Knight said:
Paying the extra $4 for Standard Shipping is worth it, apparently. My ship date got moved up from January 10th to January 6th when I switched.
ummm.... That really doesn't look worth it to me. ;)

ShadowyFigure

First Post
malraux said:
I've got to say that if you're going to be a cheap miser and not buy from your FLGS, and not pay for extra shipping, getting it on release day shouldn't be your expectation. Of course, I'd put myself in that category.

WTF what is a FLGS?

I didn't pay for the books stated above my nan did. I'm not the cheep one personally would of gone straight with 1st class. At the end of the month ill order a extra copy of the phb

MaelStorm

First Post
ShadowyFigure said:
WTF what is a FLGS?

I didn't pay for the books stated above my nan did. I'm not the cheep one personally would of gone straight with 1st class. At the end of the month ill order a extra copy of the phb
Fantasy Local Gaming Store

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
Lord Tirian said:
AFAIK, it's friendly local game store.
For some people, the idea of a friendly local gaming store is pure fantasy. ;)

Patlin said:
First, I understand some sort of SRD type document will be available on the 6th, so I can read that while waiting for my books.
Don't get your hopes up. The Fourth Edition SRD will not be a stripped-down version of the actual rules, but a document clearly outlining which elements of the books are Open Content and which are not. You won't be able to get an idea of how the game works from it.

Remove ads