Anarenn: Rise of the ancient blood [OOC]

Ambrus

Explorer
I don't know if this might be of interest to you or not, but I was doing some research for your game and I found a dragon (or group of related creatures) which bear uncanny similarities to the pseudodragon; so much so that I suspect they may have inspired the creation of the latter.

Legends from the Baltic states of eastern Europe describe a little 4-legged dragon about 2-ft long, usually winged, that flies through the air while trailing a tail of flame. They are often adopted by (or adopt in turn) a family or individual (in post-christian era they are bought from the devil in exchange for one's soul) and serve their masters by bringing them wealth (in the form of gold, grain, milk or honey), often by stealing from neighboring households. When living in a house, they often lair behind the stove and usually adopt the form of a black cat or rooster.

It's known as an aitvara or puk or pukys in Lithuania, as puuk or tulihand or pisuhand in Estonia and as a puk or puks or puck in Germany.[sblock=The Puk and the Aitvaras]

In the Baltic countryside, most especially Lithuania, is where you’ll find tales of the aitvaras. The earliest known references to it date from 1547, and it maintains its place in the local mindset today(12). A household spirit related to the kaukas, or kobold(7), the aitvaras generally lived behind the main stove or the hearth in the barn or cottage. It was fed, some texts assert, with gifts of milk, flour, corn, or hay(8), although the aitvaras must be given an omelet. Whether the aitvaras must be fed solely on omelet or just demands the one initial omelet is not clear(7-11). In return, the aitvaras brought good luck (or sometimes not-so-good luck) and wealth to the household(10).

Some scholars believe the aitvaras was once a lower deity in its own right, spiritually based in the air and woodlands and seen in natural occurrences like the flash of passing meteors, birds, moths, and fireflies. In this manifestation, the aitvaras watched over humans like a guardian angel. They were immortals who could heal or revive themselves simply by touching the earth. Those who ascribe to this interpretation blame the conversion efforts of medieval Christians, who condemned the aitvaras as a demon and a thief(12).

In appearance, the aitvaras was variable. Inside the home, it most frequently appeared as a black cock or cat, but its form shifted to that of a bird(9) or a flying dragon of either fiery form(7) or fiery tail(12). It can be hypothesized that it was the height of its flight patterns or simple near-sightedness that gave rise to aerial descriptions of it as a wavy line(9).

Once the aitvaras adopted (or was adopted by) a household, its primary goal in life was to increase the household’s wealth, enacting a sort of hoarding behavior by proxy. It would fetch milk, corn, or money for its master(13), though these were usually stolen from other homesteads(10).

An aitvaras could move into a homestead by one of several means. Some were hatched from the seven-year old eggs of cocks(7), while others were bought in exchange for the buyer’s soul. Occasionally, an aitvaras might be found and unwittingly brought home(13). Once it took up residence, however, it proved nearly impossible to chase off(10). Those families who wished to be rid of the aitvaras were generally forced to kill it. A famous folk tale tells of a young bride sent to grind grain with a hand-mill. She was disturbed at the way he basket of grain was always full, and was advised wisely to look upon the basket using a sacred candle. By this light, she saw a cock regurgitating a stream of grain into the basket, and she promptly slew it. Upon her discovery of the incident, however, the bride's mother-in-law lamented the loss of her aitvaras, the source of her prosperity(13).

The similarities in behavior and form between the puk and the aitvaras have led many to believe that they are closely related if not the same creature(7, 14). If the 2 are related, however, then the puk is far more wide ranging; it is called pukys in Lithuanian, puuk(7), tulihand or pisuhand in Estonian, puk, puks, or puck in German, pukje in Norwegian, puge in old Danish, puki in old Icelandic, puck in English, and puca in Irish. One must take care not to confuse this creature with English Robin Goodfellow, which is much less friendly towards humanity and occupies itself primarily by getting travelers lost in the bogs(13). In Sweden it is also known, when focused on bringing dairy, as a milk-hare(14). Most scholars generally suppose that puks (or at least the ideas about them) were brought up into the Baltic cities by traders from Germany, where they gradually diffused into more rural areas. Indeed, Lithuanian folklore tells of a farmer who brought his crop down to Riga, sold it, and used the money to buy a dragon from a German merchant. Whether puks originated in Germany or were transported from Scandinavia or the British Islands is as yet undetermined(13).

The puk is also far more concrete in its form than the aitvaras*. Generally, puks are described as little dragons about 2 feet long with four feet(11). In flight, they are often described as a fiery ball or a UFO-like blur(15), though this could be attributed to rapid transit.

Like the aitvaras, however, the puk is essentially a thief for its master. It can be bought or bred, but there are also ways to magically lure it away from its current master. Once obtained, however, it must be treated well; neglected puks are as likely to die as any other creature, and those who feel they’ve been slighted often abandon or attempt to hurt their masters(15).

Even a dead puk can occasionally be dangerous; Swedish folklore tells of a man who met a puk (most likely on its way to deliver milk) and shot it. The entrails of the puk, in classic horror movie fashion, leaped out of the body and attempted to strangle the hunter. Luckily, the man managed to catch the puk’s guts on his gun and guide them to a birch tree, where they squeezed so hard they tore away the bark(14).

As with the aitvaras, those who kept puks frequently left tubs out for them at night. The puk would come in the evening and throw up the milk into the tub, fresh for use(14).[/sblock]

Ambrus

Explorer
I'm curious to hear your opinion about how the game is going now that we're past the start. I'd also like to hear your take concerning the exchange I had with the wizard. I think it's always interesting to see how a scenario played itself out as compared to what the DM expected. :)

Nightbreeze

First Post
Well, first of all thank you for sharing that info about atvaras, I'm going to use it.

As for the campaign, well, you certainly are better than me at descriptions :D Anyway, I was a little bit surprised by the authoritative way your PC is behaving, but that is no problem for me. Another thing I wasn't expecting is your clash with Cordel, but that is funny too :). As I said, I have no problem with pc taking completely unexpected ways, especially in solo campaigns. It's a pbp game, so I have plenty of time to adjust myself and get on with it.

I would be interested to know your (out of game) short time goals, or long time goals...do you wish to change atmosphere sooner or later?

Ambrus

Explorer
Thanks for the compliment. :)

As for acting authoritative, it came in part from the things Oak said and from my PC's unfortunate draconic ego. My character believed Oak when he said that the spirits were growing restless at the incursions and so felt that it was justified, as a native of the forest and something of a spirit itself, in communicating a warning to the wizard. Being smart and naturally diplomatic, my dragon tried to remain civil but Cordel's smug attitude and sense of entitlement quickly riled-up its draconic pride and so it spoke sharply to him. My PC is very smart, but not nearly as wise. ;)

I'm not certain what you mean by changing the atmosphere. In the short term, my character would like to explore the ruins itself and possibly collect whatever wealth, knowledge and magic it can find there for itself. I'm not certain whether it'd be wise to go about doing so immediately and alone, or whether it'd be smarter to follow the wizard and his crew while they deal with the challenges and try to seize opportunities to snatch stuff whenever possible.

My other goal is to learn draconic and so read the books in my cave to learn what I can of them. I'm curious to learn how my egg came to be in that cave last year, who built the cave, why, and what stuff I have in there at my disposal (hint hint). ;)

Nightbreeze

First Post
Well, you've got a certain advantage on everyone: you know (more or less precisely) where the ruins are. That can't be said about those who are seaching for them (although you don't know what Cordel knows or doesn't know...he's an irritating fellow).

As for the change of atmosphere, I'm speaking about the far future. At the beginning of the campaign, I always ask where they character would like to be around 15th level or so....heading a kingdom, or defending a bastion of good or exploring the skies of an unknown world.

So, in the far future, do you have any wish? Like discovering ancient secret of the dragons, or being involved with the wizard's or church politics and so on. As I am still weaving the plots around, I still have the space to enter anything. Of course, if you have a wish, it's not bound to be the only thing to happen.

I got the hint :). As soon as you return to your cave, I'll describe it properly.

Ambrus

Explorer
Yeah, I don't know whether the wizards know where the ruins are or if they'll have to search for them. If it's the former, I may have to hustle to stay ahead of them. If the latter, then I may have more time.

Exploring alone is a risky proposition though. I have little ability to deal with with dungeon obstacles like locks, traps or creatures. As is, my only viable offensive tactic is a hit and run guerrilla attack. The only thing I'm really good at is hiding and getting around; which admittedly can take me pretty far. I also don't have any backup or healing magic, so I'll have to be very careful.

I think my immediate plan is to head to the ruins in the morning and begin investigating them. I'll have to see what's involved before I delve deeper into the matter.

As for longterm goals, I hadn't really thought about it all that much. Honestly, in the two years I've been playing PBP games, of the dozen or so that I've started, only a handful have lasted any length of time. And of those, I believe only one or two lasted long enough for me to gain a single level. Experience has taught me not to bother thinking that far ahead character-wise. I just can't wrap my head around the idea of gaining ten levels yet.

So far, my dragon doesn't feel any particular desire to leave his forest home except mild curiosity. Perhaps the desire to learn draconic will eventually carry it further afield in search of a cypher or Rosetta stone of some sort. Otherwise, it wants to learn about its own background, where it came from and whether there are any others of its kind abroad in the world. As far as it knows, it may in fact be the only dragon left. Other interests may develop through play however.

Ambrus

Explorer
Sorry to hear about your being hit by a train. I hope the worst is over and things are looking up. :heh:

Thanks for the description of the cave. Just a few things I'm still a bit sketchy on. Care to clarify a few points for my benefit?
Nightbreeze said:
At first it seems to be an natural cavern, then it turns and ends with several small tunnels.
How many branching tunnels are there at this fork and where do the others lead?
Nightbreeze said:
There is almost nothing here, except for tons of dust and an old, almost falling in pieces, wooden box (empty).
How big is the box, does it have a lid and is there any clue as to what it might have contained?
Nightbreeze said:
There's a door between this room and the second one, the only one in the entire complex. It opens to the outside...
I can't quite figure out the placement of this door. By "opens to the outside" do you mean outside to the forest? If not, and it's between the two rooms, and all the rooms are "in line, descending", does this mean the door is in fact a trapdoor in the floor?
Nightbreeze said:
the second room, where whoever lived here used to eat and cook: there's a table and some boxes around, and a lot of spoons, knives and plates.
Is there anything in the boxes aside from flatware and cutlery? Is there some kind of stove or oven for cooking food? If so where does it vent? Is there anything like a pantry in the room?
Nightbreeze said:
the library and the sleeping room: there are two bookstores, a table and a bed.
What size of creature is the bed made for and what condition is it in?
Nightbreeze said:
One of the bookstores contains a great number of books of no value: a collection of stories, fairy tales, popular legends and low-quality poems, written in hethon. On the second bookstore instead there's a dozen expensive and precious looking books, and a dozend of old and seemingly useless books.
So I've got about four dozen books, three dozen of which are written in Hethon and that encompass folklore, mythology, poetry, nature, magic, dragons and elementals. The remaining dozen are written in draconic. Is that right?
Nightbreeze said:
And speaking of the forth room, it is the most strange of all. It seems that it once was a laboratory, because there are some tables and shelves full of flasks and alchemical devices (most of them cracked and thus useless, but some of them is fine). There's also a little collection of scales, talons and other parts of strange animals. And there's a little altar made by a strange rock
A fully equipped alchemist's lab costs about 500 gp. So how much of a full lab is salvageable/usable?
Nightbreeze said:
You also have a small treasure of shining rocks and shards
What kinds of rocks and shards are we talking about? Are they just pretty or do they have any monetary value?
Nightbreeze said:
There will be a somewhat rusted armor, some clothes
So is this stuff in the cave or should I just forget about that?

Nightbreeze

First Post
Ambrus said:
Sorry to hear about your being hit by a train. I hope the worst is over and things are looking up. :heh:
I'll manage. Nothing sad, just a lot of work to be done :)

How many branching tunnels are there at this fork and where do the others lead?
Four of them, one is a dead and and the other two connect with each other near the end.

How big is the box, does it have a lid and is there any clue as to what it might have contained?
3x3x3 ft, it has a lid and it's in a pretty bad shape. It was probably used to store items that were too huge to be brought in the rooms. However, it's quite bigger than the small tunnel, so the mystery remains.

I can't quite figure out the placement of this door. By "opens to the outside" do you mean outside to the forest? If not, and it's between the two rooms, and all the rooms are "in line, descending", does this mean the door is in fact a trapdoor in the floor?

Yeah, it's a kind of trapdoor, only in vertical position. By "opens to the outside" I meant that as you are entering in your home, you have to pull the door in order to open it. It is between the first and the second room. It probably was useful to avoid dirt and water entering in the other rooms.

Is there anything in the boxes aside from flatware and cutlery? Is there some kind of stove or oven for cooking food? If so where does it vent? Is there anything like a pantry in the room?

Some clothing, and a leather armor. Mediums sized creature. Yes, there was an oven, however it doesn't seem to vent anywhere.
What size of creature is the bed made for and what condition is it in?
Medium creature, pretty good condition.

So I've got about four dozen books, three dozen of which are written in Hethon and that encompass folklore, mythology, poetry, nature, magic, dragons and elementals. The remaining dozen are written in draconic. Is that right?
Yep. Actually there are two other books written in another, completely unfamiliar language. And one written in Common (some notes about cities)

A fully equipped alchemist's lab costs about 500 gp. So how much of a full lab is salvageable/usable?What kinds of rocks and shards are we talking about? Are they just pretty or do they have any monetary value?

The books are 40% of the money that an ECL5 PC should have. I'll let you decide how to distribyute your remaining money between the lab and the precious stones, but no more than 400gp should be salvaged from the lab.

Ambrus

Explorer
Nightbreeze said:
I'll manage. Nothing sad, just a lot of work to be done :)
Good to hear you and your loved ones are okay.

So, except from the entry tunnels, the entire complex is comprised of four 10-ft x 10-ft. rooms all set directly one above the other? Sounds like some kind of strange concealed wizard's tower. Is the entire cavern system housed inside a single large free-standing outcrop of rock or is it part of a natural ridge or escarpment? If the former, what are its approximate exterior dimensions? Are all the rooms of cut & finished stone or simply hewn into square rooms out of solid rock? Can I assume that I've taken 20 on searching the entire interior for concealed passages or chambers?
Nightbreeze said:
Yes, there was an oven, however it doesn't seem to vent anywhere.
How curious. Is it a pot bellied stove or more of a fireplace? So if my dragon lit a few candles and placed them inside the oven does the smoke simply collect in the room or mysteriously disappear someplace?
Nightbreeze said:
The books are 40% of the money that an ECL5 PC should have. I'll let you decide how to distribute your remaining money between the lab and the precious stones, but no more than 400gp should be salvaged from the lab.
Hm. A 5th level PC should have 9,000 gp so the library is worth 3,600 gp and the lab is worth 400 gp which leaves approximately 5,000 in gems. Is that right?

Nightbreeze

First Post
So, except from the entry tunnels, the entire complex is comprised of four 10-ft x 10-ft. rooms all set directly one above the other?

Not directly one above the other. If there was a line connecting the center of each room, it would have a 60* angle with the ground. (so, yes, almost vertical, but not quite)

Sounds like some kind of strange concealed wizard's tower
Yup. Not really luxurious or big...actually it seems the home of someone who really didn't need company. .

Is the entire cavern system housed inside a single large free-standing outcrop of rock or is it part of a natural ridge or escarpment? If the former, what are its approximate exterior dimensions?
It is inside a single large outcrop of rock. There are several other smalles outcrops nearby, and there's a huge ridge (a little bit lower than your outcrop) a little bit to the west. The entire area is covered by tall and thick trees.

Are all the rooms of cut & finished stone or simply hewn into square rooms out of solid rock?
Actually, it's mixed rock and solid earth. However, they are covered by a solid inches-thick layer of rock., so it seems that it's worked stone....you discovered it while scratching a place where the rock seemed strange.

Can I assume that I've taken 20 on searching the entire interior for concealed passages or chambers?

Yes. The most important thing that you discovered is that it seems that once there was a bigger tunnel from the first room to the surface, however it went down and the smallest tunnels were formed.

How curious. Is it a pot bellied stove or more of a fireplace? So if my dragon lit a few candles and placed them inside the oven does the smoke simply collect in the room or mysteriously disappear someplace?

It is a very nice, modern and well-made oven. However it doesn't seem to have any strange proprieties: if you try that trick with a little bit of wood (as candles make little smoke), the room fills with smoke :)

Hm. A 5th level PC should have 9,000 gp so the library is worth 3,600 gp and the lab is worth 400 gp which leaves approximately 5,000 in gems. Is that right?

You can divide those 5400 gp between the lab and the gems. 400 is just the maximum amount of gold that you can give to the lab. If you want, you can also assign some of those coins to rare herbs that you found somewhere in the forest, or anything else like that.

Remove ads