And your favorite module writer is?

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Odhanan said:
Favorite Module author: Monte Cook, hands down (I really love the design behind RToEE...

Really? Wow that is maybe my least favorite module of all time.

Anyway, my favorite would have to be either EGG or...maybe some other guy.

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
Flexor the Mighty! said:
Really? Wow that is maybe my least favorite module of all time.

The design is great. I'm still going through it as a player, but so far there are only two or three things that I'd say are flaws:

1) Crater Mines go on and on and on and on and on and on
2) The second town (forget the name) is where you spend most of your time, but Homlet has all the detail.
3) It is very hard and approaches, but in my opinion does not cross, the line of fustration.

#3 is a matter of taste. #2 is quite pardonable given the history behind the making of the module. #1 is something we all learned because of RttToEE.

I don't know if you've read the module or not, but my DM swears by it.

All of the above being said ... it would be really swell if our party's fighters quit rolling 1s and 2s on their fortitutde saves. That can stop any time now.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
BiggusGeekus said:
The design is great. I'm still going through it as a player, but so far there are only two or three things that I'd say are flaws:

1) Crater Mines go on and on and on and on and on and on
2) The second town (forget the name) is where you spend most of your time, but Homlet has all the detail.
3) It is very hard and approaches, but in my opinion does not cross, the line of fustration.

#3 is a matter of taste. #2 is quite pardonable given the history behind the making of the module. #1 is something we all learned because of RttToEE.

I don't know if you've read the module or not, but my DM swears by it.

All of the above being said ... it would be really swell if our party's fighters quit rolling 1s and 2s on their fortitutde saves. That can stop any time now.

I DM'ed it. And to me it seemed more an exercise in monster template use than a solid adventure. I ended up gutting most of the crater ridge mines and getting rid of some of the more outlandish monster types and changing huge parts of it. I really thought the mines were poorly put together, and while I often overlook things like Ecology in the name of fun I didn't think there was enough fun to make up for some of the stuff. I love dungeon crawls but this one was bad IMO.

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
Writer: Tracy Hickman. The Lyceum in War of the Lance is fantastic. It's a dungeon crawl with flavor. Plus Ravenloft, Rahasia, etc.

Favorite module? That's a toughie. I'm a big fan of the Age of Mortals trilogy for Dragonlance (Key of Destiny, Spectre of Sorrows, and the upcoming Price of Courage). The Lyceum is really good. I'll have to give this one some more thought.

Ghostwind mentioned Chris Coyle on the writer above. I thought he did a fantastic job on Key of Destiny, though it's a bit wordy in some areas.

(If you can't tell, I'm a bit biased in my responses here.)

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Favorite module - Return to the Tomb of Horrors

Favorite module writer - Bruce Cordell. The man is like Monte, but adds a tad bit more mechanics to the material, and tends to have surreptitious ties between his products, making them absolutely spectacular to people who record the mythology of D&D, like me.

Loved Ravenloft, but I have to go with the Saltmarsh series for best!

As to favorite writer? Oooh. Frank Mentzer. (Monte comes damn close, but I have never owned this 2E stuff folks rave about.)

Remove ads