Another Delve Into Xanathar's Guide To Everything

Xanathar's Guide to Everything packs a lot of useful content for both players and DMs in its 192 pages. Here I'm going to expand on the first part of my review to cover the section that will probably be used the most by its readers – character options.

Xanathar's Guide to Everything packs a lot of useful content for both players and DMs in its 192 pages. Here I'm going to expand on the first part of my review to cover the section that will probably be used the most by its readers – character options.

XanatharAlt_ProductShot.jpg

The Player's Handbook defines classes as a calling that affects the player's world view, not just a job. So while a fighter is a "master of martial combat," the paladin is a "holy warrior bound to a sacred oath" and the ranger is "a warrior who uses martial prowess and natural magic to combat threats on the edge of civilization."

Subclasses begin with "a character-defining choice at 1st, 2nd, or 3rd level that unlock features not available to the class as a whole. The subclass chart in XGtE illustrates briefly how these features also affect the character's purpose and world view. For example, the Gloom Stalker Ranger is "unafraid of the dark, relentlessly stalks and ambushes foes" while the Horizon Walker "finds portals to other worlds and channels planar magic" and the Monster Slayer "hunts down creatures of the night and wielders of grim magic."

The Barbarian subclass options in XGtE provide more variety than the ones in the PHB or Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. The PHB had the Berserker and Totem Warrior. SCAG added additional totem options for the latter and the Battlerager, which was essentially a Berserker customized for Dwarves.

The three Primal Path options in XGtE add true variety. The Ancestral Guardian Primal Path is geared toward defending others than charging into battle. The Path of the Storm Herald creates a Barbarian whose powers are Thor (or other storm god) inspired. It's likely to be a player favorite because causing lightning damage to your opponents is always fun. Affects of the storm aura even vary by terrain – desert, sea or tundra.

The Path of the Zealot is a sort of divinely empowered Barbarian. The name goes against what I typically think of as barbarian characteristics, but that's just me. Players are more likely to be disappointed that the 3rd level ability simply means that spells used to raise the Zealot Barbarian from the dead do not need material spell components. In comparison to things like the Storm Herald Barbarian's Storm Aura at 3rd level, it does seem like a weaker feature. However, they also get Divine Fury at the same level, dealing extra damage to the first creature hit on each turn with a weapon.

The Bard Colleges in SCAG provided more flavor than practical benefits. The three presented in XGtE actually make me want to play a bard.

The College of Glamour is inspired by the Feywild, where its practitioners either honed their abilities or trained under those who did. Its abilities are geared toward influence and appearance. The College of Swords is more daring-do in flavor. Players who want a character akin to Syrio Forel, the water dancer from A Game of Thrones will like this option. My only complaint is having to choose between dueling and two-weapon fighting at 3rd level, though I understand the reason for it from a game design perspective. I just want a duel using a two-weapon fighting style.

I like the College of Whispers both thematically and mechanically. Bards who act as spies and specialize in manipulation find a home in this category.

However, the subclass description suggests that members of this college hide their true nature to avoid bias from others and to better use their skills of infiltration. From a story standpoint, that makes perfect sense. In actual play, it's very difficult because even parties that try not to metagame are going to notice the difference between the player's statements of action to the DM versus what is said in-game. There are ways around it, but in my experience they only last so long. When any class description suggests that a character try to hide what they are, I'd like to see the class features offer a way to do that in game with some sort of misdirection or concealment ability.

The PHB gave clerics seven domains to start with, and the Dungeon Master's Guide added the Death Domain for NPCs (or at DM's discretion for players). SCAG added the Arcane Domain. XGtE adds the Forge and Grave Domains.

Anyone glossing over the Forge Domain, assuming it's boring, would be missing out. While gods of the forge might be seen as having more of a supplementary role, their clerics are able to use their abilities to increase weapon damage, improve armor and, eventually, withstand fire and non-magical weapon attacks.

The Grave Domain was mostly created to appease players whose DM's did not allow the Death Domain (or Adventurer's League players since AL forbids both the Death Domain Cleric and Oathbreaker Paladin). Don't mistake that as being a weaker version of the original. The Grave Domain has its own formidable abilities, such as the 2nd level Path to the Grave, which allows the cleric to curse a creature with a vulnerability to damage by yourself or an ally.

Druids get two new subclasses – Circle of Dreams and Circle of the Shepherd. The former is influenced by the Feywild so it focuses more on hidden pathways, creating havens for healing and dreamwalking.

Thematically, I love Circle of the Shepherd, but something about the features feel less inspiring. Characters can speak to beasts, though it doesn't automatically convey friendship or control of them. The list of spirits that can be called – hawk, bear and unicorn – also feels a bit skimpy. As a DM, I might tweak this subclass a bit, though I haven't decided how yet.

In the PHB, Fighter subclass options were the Champion, which focused on raw power, the Battle Master, which was more of a tactician, and the Eldritch Knight, who could cast spells. XGtE adds the Arcane Archer, Cavalier and Samurai. The first is likely to be the most popular. Who doesn't love magical arrows and similar stunts? The other two classes were discussed previously.

The Monk's Way of the Sun Soul allows characters to channel ki into bolts of light. While thematically very different from the Storm Herald Barbarian, there are some commonalities from a feature standpoint, which makes perfect sense. The Way of the Drunken Master was described in my prior XGtE article. The Way of the Kensei focuses on weapon mastery.

Xanathar_KeyArt.png

Much like how the Grave Domain appeals to those who want to play Death Domain Clerics, the Oath of Conquest Paladins seem designed to appease Oathbreaker Paladin fans. Conquest Paladins might even worship archdevils for their harsh infliction of law. Oath of Redemption Paladins are the exact opposite and the closest 5th Edition has come to the pacifist cleric. These paladins can and will fight creatures like undead, devils, etc., but their primary abilities are protective.

Gloom Stalkers are rangers for the Underdark, though they're not limited to that. Delving into shadow to fight evil is their purpose. Monster Slayers are complements to Gloom Stalkers by seeking out evil fey, vampires, and other magical threats. Horizon Walkers explore the multiverse and protect against planar threats.

Rogues get the most subclasses at four, though two of them – Mastermind and Swashbuckler – are carried over from SCAG due to AL's "PHB +1" rule for character creation. The Inquisitive Rogue is geared toward Sherlock Holmes (or Moriarty) type characters.

The Scout is such a classic Rogue variant I'm surprised it wasn't in the PHB. XGtE does a nice job of distinguishing this wilderness character mechanically from rangers.

For Sorcerers, Storm Sorcery also carries over from the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. Shadow Magic is the other addition. Unlike most of the others, it gets two abilities at 1st level and none at 3rd with one of those abilities making it a little tougher to kill them. Hound of Ill Omen summons a creature a darkness. I'm confident players are going to enjoy that ability.

Warlocks get a wider range of Eldritch Invocations in XGtE, plus the Celestial and Hexblade options. Players and GMs familiar with the Blackrazor sword, which is even featured in one of the story options for Betrayal at Baldur's Gate, will recognize the latter.

War Wizards are mentioned in SCAG but only get a full class option in XGtE. They were discussed more thoroughly in part one of the Xanathar review.

As someone who has been DMing 5th edition since the first public play tests, the class options in XGtE make me really want to switch to playing. Each enriches the PHB options thoughtfully, widening game options for players and DMs, especially when combined with the "This Is Your Life" section and class background options in the same chapter.

Note that errata for XGtE is being compiled at the bottom of the page for Xanathar’s Guide to Everything though as of this writing, only two items are cited.

contributed by Beth Rimmels

Beth Rimmels

Beth Rimmels

The-Magic-Sword

Small Ball Archmage
You know to be honest, I loved and played 4e and it feels like 5e now has plenty of char op friendly choices, every level is another decision point where you are deciding which eligible class you want to take levels in- which plays into decisions about how many to take, and when, and weighing all the features and possibilities of that. Feats offer a handful of additional decision points, and spells do as well- spell choice always feels like a difficult choice, especially if the campaign supports all three pillars. Tool Proficiency just got more significant as well, as choices go. Some classes have more choices than others- warlocks for example are very popular with my optimizers, as is the mystic, the sorcerer, the paladin, and the wizard.

We now also have rules for magic item distribution and selection, so we could honestly start treating items as a thing that can be customized, at least for those of us that like it.

I agree with you 100%, I'm only really buying XGTE because it's the only real player supplement well 75% player supplement, as the player parts of both the SCAG and VGTM were after thoughts put in place to give options thirsty .players are reason to buy them.

Still I doubt I buy anymore books in the future, I have the VGTM and XGTE (once delivers it), so there is no reason to buy anymore player supplements I can't use. The PHB +1 rule is going to be a disaster in the one term.

4e Living Forgotten Realms was similarly restrictive at first as well, but eventually they had to dump that rule and eventually so will AL.

Those that defend this rule and argue it hasn't been a problem ignore the fact that till now there really hasn't been any new player content of significance, just small amounts, but now between XGTE and the Planar Book coming out, and more to come in following years, admittedly a trickle compared to other editions, the AL rule will really start to cause problems, from pushing reprinting of materials, to giving players a good reason not to buy new books to stuff I haven't for seen.

Also the rule means no Eldarin Circle of Shepherd or Circle of Dreams or College Glamour. It means no Aasimar Divine Souls, Zealots,,The Celestial Warlocks, Forge Clerics, Grave Clerics, Oath of Redemption Paladins, or Fallen Aasimar Oath of Conquest Paladins.

Hey, I just went on to D&D Beyond and created an Eladrin Circle of the Shepherd. Nothing stopped me from doing so, and the D&D police didn't come knocking on my door to drag me away.

But seriously, from your post it seems that you don't have Xanathar's yet, so do you know the context of the PHB+1 text in that book? It's on page 173 in the Shared Campaign appendix, and it says that if you are in or are running a shared campaign, you have the option to restrict characters to the PHB+1 rule. Not that you must do so, and not that you even need to consider it outside of a shared campaign. It seems from your and other's posts that there is some belief that what is merely a suggestion concerning a single set of circumstances (being involved in a shared campaign) is somehow and iron-bound rule for all campaigns...

Last edited by a moderator:

Satyrn

First Post
This is now a rule listed in Xanathar's in its appendix, albeit it is an optional rule. It is no longer constrained to AL. That book even specifically calls it a "rule."

That optional rule in Xanathar's is not the sort of rule you're implying it is. It's not even at the level of optional rule. It's a suggestion for how a rule might look if you wanted to implement that sort of rule in a organized play like Adventurers League.

It means absolutely nothing for home play.

And as an aside, I gotta say I'm starting to hate that that appendix was included.

Hey, I just went on to D&D Beyond and created an Eladrin Circle of the Shepherd. Nothing stopped me from doing so, and the D&D police didn't come knocking on my door to drag me away.
We were on our way but we were diverted by HQ to deal with an unusually large number of rules infringements at a Pathfinder Societies event, and by the time we had cleared that up your game was over. We do have you in our sights so better watch yourself from now on.

We were on our way but we were diverted by HQ to deal with an unusually large number of rules infringements at a Pathfinder Societies event, and by the time we had cleared that up your game was over. We do have you in our sights so better watch yourself from now on.

Oh dear, yet another incident at a Pathfinder Societies event? You have to load the perpetrators up by the cattle car at those, I hear... :p

gyor

Legend

But seriously, from your post it seems that you don't have Xanathar's yet, so do you know the context of the PHB+1 text in that book? It's on page 173 in the Shared Campaign appendix, and it says that if you are in or are running a shared campaign, you have the option to restrict characters to the PHB+1 rule. Not that you must do so, and not that you even need to consider it outside of a shared campaign. It seems from your and other's posts that there is some belief that what is merely a suggestion concerning a single set of circumstances (being involved in a shared campaign) is somehow and iron-bound rule for all campaigns...

Honestly most of my complaining was about the actual AL rule, Shared Campaign stuff is just salt in the wound (and more needless filler).

And most of what I'm going on is from second hand sources as my copy won't arrive till the 27th to Dec 4th.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I'm quite confused about people who want WotC to cater to the needs of their home game. Nothing prevents you from having a Prestige Class/es in your home game. They demoed the concept. Adapt it and make it your own.

It's your game!

Do what makes sense for your table.

Ganymede81

First Post
That optional rule in Xanathar's is not the sort of rule you're implying it is.

I seriously have no clue what you think I was implying.

I was just responding to another guy who thought it was limited to the "publisher's tournament format" and didn't know it had been listed in Xanathar's for personal use.

Henry

Autoexreginated
I seriously have no clue what you think I was implying.

I was just responding to another guy who thought it was limited to the "publisher's tournament format" and didn't know it had been listed in Xanathar's for personal use.
To be fair, they’re only recommending it for shared campaigns ( home games with multiple DMs. Personally, I just prefer more communication between DMs if you’re going to run a shared game world, or more case by case approval as sole DM.

Remove ads

Remove ads