• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anthony Valterra breaks his silence

Status
Not open for further replies.

WisdomLikeSilence

Community Supporter
Mr. Valterra,

I don't have any particular feelings about TBEF, but I did want to express my appreciation for your willingness to come to the boards and discuss your project honestly and politely.

This sort of civilized dialogue is usually in painfully short supply.

Kudos - especially for your ability to take criticism without getting snarky.

-WLS

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
The Book\Author\Exposure.

Well, in the 4 to 6 days ago, a book got noticed, and it is not even in print yet.

Confusing on who the author was, first a man, now a woman.

Excellent free advertisement in forums and web reporting.

All from one page.

No ad money spent, and I think they don't have to in the future.

A possible goof, a pot of pure luck, and pucker hearts in the mix.

Damn Anthony.....this had to be your plan along.

Maybe I can get my book out the same way.....THE DRAGON'S MATE GUIDE TO DRAGON PLAY. VERISON 101.

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah........... :rolleyes:

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Hello

I have to wonder a bit, what exactly did folks find offensive in those pictures? Sure, I too was disturbed by the use of blood in some of the imagery. But is anyone honestly thinking this book will feature people in bathtubs of blood?

So what was it? What is the woman in a bath tub full of cheezies? I thought that was cool! ;) Sure, there is a lot of naked and semi-naked folks, but what do you expect given the topic of the book?

Ancalagon

Snoweel

First Post
Numion said:

Different times from T$R .. when Spielberg asked for a permission to use D&D in E.T (one of the most popular movies evar, or something), TSR asked money for it. Needless to say, it didn't happen.

I beg to differ.

I saw E.T. with my father and his wife right after I had "thrown my D&D books away and vowed to never play with the occult again" ;) which was shortly after he got out of prison with a head full of fundamentalism.

Anyways, I remember vividly the scane where the kids are having a session, because my dad broke into an anti-D&D tirade at myself and the TV.

I was tempted to stab him that night in his sleep, but who would've paid the rent?

Snoweel

First Post
Ancalagon said:
Hello

I have to wonder a bit, what exactly did folks find offensive in those pictures? Sure, I too was disturbed by the use of blood in some of the imagery. But is anyone honestly thinking this book will feature people in bathtubs of blood?

So what was it? What is the woman in a bath tub full of cheezies? I thought that was cool!

Yeah, but be honest with yourself, Anc.

You're a little bit wierder than the rest of us.

Numion

First Post
Snoweel said:

Anyways, I remember vividly the scane where the kids are having a session, because my dad broke into an anti-D&D tirade at myself and the TV.

Yeah, but there are no actual D&D books shown.

dcas

First Post
Numion said:

Different times from T$R .. when Spielberg asked for a permission to use D&D in E.T (one of the most popular movies evar, or something), TSR asked money for it. Needless to say, it didn't happen. About the biggest product placement ad D&D could ever hope to have, wasted.

Hmm... maybe it wasn't coincidence TSR went belly-up.

Gary has covered this in his Q&A. The reason that D&D was not featured by name in E.T. is because there was money on the table at the same time that the kids were playing a session. Gary thought that this would give the impression that D&D was some kind of gambling game, and when he asked Spielberg to clarify why the money was on the table he didn't get a response. So he nixed the idea.

Harlock

First Post
dcas said:

Gary has covered this in his Q&A. The reason that D&D was not featured by name in E.T. is because there was money on the table at the same time that the kids were playing a session. Gary thought that this would give the impression that D&D was some kind of gambling game, and when he asked Spielberg to clarify why the money was on the table he didn't get a response. So he nixed the idea.

I'm pretty sure that wasn't gambling money, but rather the kitty for Mountain Dew and Pizza! ;) Drew Barrymore and D&D. MMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Galaurum

First Post
Why controversy?

I am truly baffled as to why the Book of Erotic Fantasy is such a controversy. Seriously, folks--what's so shocking? What's so wrong? The Book of Vile Darkness caused some controversy, but not nearly as much as this. It's ridiculous. Really.

Firstly, the Book of Erotic Fantasy is OPTIONAL, just as any non-core rulebook is for D&D. No one's forcing you to buy it! No one is even making you LOOK at it. You can continue gaming without having acknowledged its creation, if you're so inclined.

But what if my gaming group brings it up, you say? Someone has already mentioned on this thread that they would not associate with people who got this book. To me, this is as ludicrous as refusing to associate with someone of a different religion, race, or whatever. I find it disappointing that the gaming community would willingly splinter itself on such a issue, especially when the only participants are those who are interested in the book in the first place.

Secondly, has the DM become a tyrannical figure? I mean, if a Player has a serious problem with the presence of the BOEF in their game, the DM should respect their objection and honor it. Any DM who does otherwise should be up for review, if they want to continue their role.

The book is not a dirty magazine. It's a rulebook. Anybody who wants dirty-magazine kind of stuff isn't going to play D&D to get their jollies. They'll get the magazine instead.

And to anyone opposing the BOEF on the grounds that it's against Christian morals: I would have you re-read the Bible. I bear no animosity toward Christians--my parents, and much of my extended family are Christian--but, I've seen a complaint of "Oh, that's terrible!" too many times when their very own holy book contains plenty of sex and violence in itself. And that's okay, too. Besides, some of the best stories--Medea, Lysistrata, Apuleius' Metamorphosis (The Golden Asse), and Merlin--all had sex as a subject central to their plot.

Why is it that people who find it acceptable to play a game in which Necromancers are running around raising the dead, but one mention of 'sex' and the controversy is on? For Pete's sake, you can play an *Assassin* in this game. You can climb into a third story window of an unsuspecting, sleeping person, and cut their throat. You can summon demons and devils from the D&D equivalent of Hell itself. Why is sex more controversial?

I think it's wonderful that the gaming industry is building its library to a variety of audiences across all ages. A lot of the focus of D&D has been the idea of customization. Customizing abilities, customizing appearances, customizing items. Well, here is just one of many new option for cutomizing the game itself: its tone, possibilities, and verisimilitude. I think that's great.

My questions are a little different than the usual:

1) Those who are offended: truly, why?
2) To Wizards of the Coasts' having taken offense: why?

Those questions are intended to be rhetorical, but you may answer them if you like. No one can stop you from finding something offensive, of course; but I'm just hoping that wondering about the "why?" of it all will help you at least reconsider.

Last edited:

dcas

First Post
Re: Why controversy?

Galaurum said:
And to anyone opposing the BOEF on the grounds that it's against Christian morals: I would have you re-read the Bible. I bear no animosity toward Christians--my parents, and much of my extended family are Christian--but, I've seen a complaint of "Oh, that's terrible!" too many times when their very own holy book contains plenty of sex and violence in itself.

Which is why the ancients prohibited laypeople from reading certain books from the Bible (especially the Song of Songs) until they reached a certain age (the customary age was 25).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads