• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anthony Valterra breaks his silence

Status
Not open for further replies.
WisdomLikeSilence said:
Mr. Valterra,

I don't have any particular feelings about TBEF, but I did want to express my appreciation for your willingness to come to the boards and discuss your project honestly and politely.

This sort of civilized dialogue is usually in painfully short supply.

Kudos - especially for your ability to take criticism without getting snarky.

-WLS

Well when your as flawed as I am you need to learn to take criticism well.

AV

Wayside

Explorer
Re: Re: Why controversy?

Dr. Harry said:

I would recommend the you speak with some to get a range of reactions. Please make sure you show them the press release, as well as a tour of the photographer's website, cited in the press release.

[This was not addressed to me but] I did just that. Only 9 or so of my friends actually game, so I showed this to some of the other ones. Not because I wanted their opinion or anything, but I personally liked the photographer's website.

Here's a direct quote from one person on how she felt about hypnox.com:

"This site is #!%@ing amazing! How in the world did you find it? Some of these are just stunning, incredible."

So, there you have it; everyone I showed it to felt similarly inspired, and 3/4's of them were girls so..

..good pick in our opinions AV.

KingOfChaos

First Post
My only question..

This isn't going to be F.A.T.A.L. for D20 is it? We aren't going to have rules for hymen resistance or anything like that, right?

jdavis

First Post
Anthony Valterra said:

It is still a bit in flux but currently our goal is to provide adult content RPG material. Not just erotic. We are taking suggestions for future products at the site. Which should be functioning better today.

AV

I do intend to check out the website, just as soon as I get this semester taken care of (quit your job go back to school, master's classes are easy, now I'm a 33 year old college student, fun fun fun).

Gothmog

First Post
Hi Anthony,

I also wanted to say good luck with this venture, and I hope Valar is successful. It is high time someone takes a more mature look at themes in D&D.

Something did occur to me though that I thought might merit asking. Does your company plan to release a series of "mature" themed products? If so, is there any chance we might see "mature" adventures? And is there a chance that the BoVD might be put in the SRD so other companies could use ideas contained therein? Personally, I'd love to see a series of supplements/adventures that draw upon the BoEF and BoVD (maybe something that takes characters from 1st-15th level or so), full of intrigue, political/religious mechanations, and mature themes.

Thanks for your time,

KingOfChaos

First Post
Hmm

Some of you guys are acting like Valar and WOTC are the only companies that have touched on the mature theme. Which really isn't true. Green Ronin specifically has done some pretty dark books and all the books by my company will be mature themed.

Snoweel

First Post
Re: Why controversy?

I bear no animosity toward Christians--my parents, and much of my extended family are Christian[/B]

LOL!!!!!!

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dude, is the second statement supposed to qualify the first?!?!?!?

In mine (and dare I say it, most people's) experience, these two statements are mutually exclusive.

That's a bad, bad, bad argument, mate. If most of your family are Christian and you're not, chances are that your first statement: "I bear no animosity toward Christians", is false.

Not denying your right to bear animosity toward members of a religion, but be honest.

With us and yourself.

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

William Ronald

Explorer
I think it might be wise to cut out the religious discussion and the questions about the family life of posters. No need to risk getting people angry, or annoying the moderators.

So, far, I think this thread has been much calmer than some of the others.

Now for some questions for Anthony Valterra and any other representatives of the Valar Project:

1)How long have you thought of creating a book like the BoEF, and what lead to that decision?

2)You mentioned that different races and cultures could well have different attitudes towards sexual practices. Do you think that different sexual practices/family structures for different races are one of the strong points of the book. (In human societies, a large range of sexual practices and family structures have been noted by sociologists and other observers.)

3)Will future Valar Project releases try to show different ways to differentiate human and non-human cultures. (Political structures, economics, laws, rituals, et cetera.) I have long thought that having diverse societies in a campaign setting tends to add to the flavor and realism of a setting.

4)Does the Valar Project plan to produce a campaign setting?

5)Any planned releases beyone the BoEF for late 2003 or early 2004?

Snoweel

First Post
William Ronald said:
I think it might be wise to cut out the religious discussion and the questions about the family life of posters. No need to risk getting people angry, or annoying the moderators.

Damn!

Why didn't I think of that before I posted? :confused:

Sorry mom.

It'll never happen again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads