Any interest in an Eberron Adventure Path (1-20)?

kenobi65

First Post
I so hate to be a wet blanket, esp. since mega's getting some interest on this...

I'd highly suggest getting some real legal advice on this before you start publishing.

IANAL, but I know folks* who've gone through situations with WotC, in which they were writing and distributing adventures using WotC-owned intellectual property (in the two cases I'm aware of, the Forgotten Realms), and WotC lawyers wound up having them stop doing so.

The issue, as I understand it (and, again, I'm no lawyer) is that when you write an adventure using non-OGL material (such as Eberron material), and give it to someone else to run, you're considered to be "publishing", even if you're not asking for any money for it. (Note: as I understand it, this doesn't mean that you're restricted, in any way, from using non-OGL materials you own to write and run your own adventures -- even at conventions. It specifically restricts you from writing something and then giving it to someone else to actually DM.)

This "publishing" violates the copyright holder's rights, and, if they (the copyright holder, WotC) doesn't stop you from doing so once they learn about it, my understanding is that they can then run the risk of losing their copyrights on the material in question.

* - Legends of the Shining Jewel and Living Sarbreenar, two "living-style" convention campaigns that were set in the Forgotten Realms. Once WotC's lawyers got involved, LSJ decided to rework the campaign to remove the Realms references; LS shut down (though, I think, the staff is working on a new campaign that uses Iron Heroes, with permission).

Last edited:

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Interested? Yes, yes, yes!

But only if it has at least one airship/lightning rail combat, Emerald Claw mooks and dragonmarked houses and occasional noir moments - otherwise it's more of generic adventure in Eberron.

Cheers, LT.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Lord Tirian said:
Interested? Yes, yes, yes!

But only if it has at least one airship/lightning rail combat, Emerald Claw mooks and dragonmarked houses and occasional noir moments - otherwise it's more of generic adventure in Eberron.

Cheers, LT.

I second that. A good AP should take something unique and capitalize on it, as Age of Worms did with Kyuss and Shackled City did with the local environment.

ShadowDenizen

Explorer
jdrakeh said:
I'd like to lose gazetteers and see publishers switch to a 'reveal the setting through actual play' approach (via APs). I know I'm in a minority here but, all the same, more APs can only be good.

I wouldn't want to lose the Gazeeters totally, but I am in agreement with you that more AP's are definitely a good thing, IMO.

Lord Tirian said:

I agree; capturing the "feel" of Eberron is paramount; I think focusing around an idea iconic to Eberron like the Dragonmarks is a GOOD thing for this path.

I am beinning to think this is the best way to start the storyline afterall. It does give the PCs a reason to take up the adventure, good patrons, built in intrigue (even between players) and most of all- side stories and adventures that would make sense without completely changing things.

It worked for us; it really promored party cohesion (with a bit of inter=party paranoia as well, as everyone slowly realized they were ALL marked.).

And it's a good way to use a feat that is (IMO) meant to be a story catalyst anyway.

Last edited:

kenobi65 said:
I so hate to be a wet blanket, esp. since mega's getting some interest on this...

I'd highly suggest getting some real legal advice on this before you start publishing.

IANAL, but I know folks* who've gone through situations with WotC, in which they were writing and distributing adventures using WotC-owned intellectual property (in the two cases I'm aware of, the Forgotten Realms), and WotC lawyers wound up having them stop doing so.

The issue, as I understand it (and, again, I'm no lawyer) is that when you write an adventure using non-OGL material (such as Eberron material), and give it to someone else to run, you're considered to be "publishing", even if you're not asking for any money for it. (Note: as I understand it, this doesn't mean that you're restricted, in any way, from using non-OGL materials you own to write and run your own adventures -- even at conventions. It specifically restricts you from writing something and then giving it to someone else to actually DM.)

This "publishing" violates the copyright holder's rights, and, if they (the copyright holder, WotC) doesn't stop you from doing so once they learn about it, my understanding is that they can then run the risk of losing their copyrights on the material in question.

* - Legends of the Shining Jewel and Living Sarbreenar, two "living-style" convention campaigns that were set in the Forgotten Realms. Once WotC's lawyers got involved, LSJ decided to rework the campaign to remove the Realms references; LS shut down (though, I think, the staff is working on a new campaign that uses Iron Heroes, with permission).

Even just placing it here on EN World?!?

Lord Tirian said:
Interested? Yes, yes, yes!.

But only if it has:
at least one airship/lightning rail combat, CHECK
Emerald Claw mooks BIG CHECK
dragonmarked houses BIGGER THAN THE SCREEN ALLOWS CHECK
occasional noir moments - Remains to be seen if I can capture that on paper
otherwise it's more of generic adventure in Eberron. Ask anyone that knows me- I don't do generic

Lord Tirian said:
Cheers, LT.

Pirate Cat And Folks In Charge- A Question

Would creating an Adventure path kind of thing for Eberron and placing it piece by piece be illegal or place you in an uncomfortable position?

I had planned on giving lots of book and page referrences as I went but it is a good point- am I bending or outright breaking the rules?

kenobi65

First Post
megamania said:
Even just placing it here on EN World?!?

My understanding is that, yes, even this would be construed as "publishing". What I've been told is that when you write an adventure using a third party's copyrighted material, and then give it to someone else to run, regardless of how you're distributing it, or whether or not you're charging any money for it, you're violating copyright.

But, again, I'm not a lawyer. If you're serious about wanting to do this, I'd really suggest talking to someone who really knows how this stuff works.

kenobi65 said:
My understanding is that, yes, even this would be construed as "publishing".
But, again, I'm not a lawyer. If you're serious about wanting to do this, I'd really suggest talking to someone who really knows how this stuff works.

Suddenly it doesn't sound like it is worth the hassle.

Remove ads