D&D (2024) Any Word on the Next Playtest?

I think they may be taking the approach that the books will be completed and released when they are satisfied with them and they are ready, so the playtests will come when they are needed. I don't think they are holding themselves to a strict timeline. I hope that's the case and they aren't trying to rush them out to meet a meaningless deadline. As others have said I think the PHB will be out by years end and the DMG & MM will come later.
They will have an unspoken timeline for PHB release (even if we don't know it yet), and they will want to meet it, as they will have a LOT of partnerships to manage that will coincide with it. They have to manage printing windows based on printer availability, they have Marketing to plan, create, and deliver, they have DDB work to get done, and 3rd party partnerships (like WizKids for supplements like spellcards). There is a lot to do that the designers are not a part of.

The market sucks and Wizards had a rough year. They want to get sales out, so I think they will release before Halloween. A Q3 push will help. That said, I really hope they are focused on quality before speed.

We'll likely learn more here in Q1 when they deliver the results of last year, and provide a 2024 release timeline to shareholders to drum up confidence and excitement and bring the stock price up.

For some reason, "Summer 2024" sticks out in my head but I can't remember where I heard it. Probably the same place I usually get such rumors: random speculation threads here on EN World.
Towards the end of last year, they had a presentation and the images shared after that presentation said the core rulebooks would come May 21. Later, those images were taken down.

As for more playtests, I am not sure. I would think we'd get a couple more UA releases or something, but for actual playtests, I am less confident.

R_J_K75

Legend
They will have an unspoken timeline for PHB release (even if we don't know it yet), and they will want to meet it, as they will have a LOT of partnerships to manage that will coincide with it.
Im sure you are right, but the timeline may be looser than ppl would expect. Could be why there hasnt been any formal announcement on release dates. That would give them leeway to take care of all the behind-the-scenes business after the book designs are done before announcing a release date.
That said, I really hope they are focused on quality before speed.
I have not been following the playtest, so I don't have any expectations one way or the other, but I hope the rule revisions and revised layouts make for a better game, and one easier to prep and run.

aco175

Legend
How long does it take to print and ship all those books? Not sure where they are printing, guessing China, so that is shipping by tanker to wherever and then train/truck to LFGS and Amazon. That must be like a month right there. How many books are they printing in the first run- 100,000, 250,000, not sure? That must take another month. I'm guessing we are hitting the deadline rather quickly.

Remathilis

Legend
Well, per the roadmap they gave us.

WHAT’S AHEAD IN THE ONE D&D PLAYTEST?
We have many things in store for you in the months ahead. Here are some highlights:
Revised versions of every Class from the 2014 Player’s Handbook (This was done)
• 48 Subclasses, including the one in this article (done)
• New and revised Spells (well, we got some. Not sure if there are any more coming)
• New and revised Feats (ditto)
• New Weapon options for certain Classes (done)
• A new system for creating a home base for your characters (done)
• Revised encounter-building rules
• New and revised monsters
As the playtest progresses, you will also see new versions of some things that you provided feedback on earlier in the playtest.

So if we're getting any more UAs, I suspect it will be a few monsters they want to test and new encounter building rules.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
How long does it take to print and ship all those books? Not sure where they are printing, guessing China, so that is shipping by tanker to wherever and then train/truck to LFGS and Amazon. That must be like a month right there. How many books are they printing in the first run- 100,000, 250,000, not sure? That must take another month. I'm guessing we are hitting the deadline rather quickly.
WotC usually prints in the US, which helps with lead times considerably. The last Ravnica UA was about two months before the Ravbica book hit store shelves, and they made extensive changes to thst book based on the feedback.

MPA2000

Explorer
Has there been any word on when the next playtest packet will be out?

Has it been derailed by the recent raft of personnel being fired/laid off?

Anyone have any info?
Did they say there was going to be another Playtest? Crawford sounded like the next step would be to review all of the Playtests and smooth out things for the release of the new PHB this coming May.

mellored

Legend
Did they say there was going to be another Playtest? Crawford sounded like the next step would be to review all of the Playtests and smooth out things for the release of the new PHB this coming May.
The only things I think could still use a public review are some spells and beasts.

Otherwise, all the classes seem solid and just need a balance pass.

I.e.
Reduce monks Deflect Attack.
Add to-hit scaling to wild shape.
Keep bladelock at 2 attacks.
An invocation to add extra spells slots (not 9th level spells).

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Remove ads