• Never have, but would want to

Votes: 9 11.8%
  • I have, but wouldn't again

Votes: 11 14.5%

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I don't mind hunting, insofar as something has to keep the deer population down. And if the folks around won't allow wolves, we have to do it ourselves. Better for the deer, and the land, and everything.

Unfortunately, I went to school in upstate New York, and I was completely put off by the hunting culture.

Joshua Dyal said:
I don't really, but I love eating the spoils of a hunt. Venison is far superior to beef, IMO.

Eat farmed venison. Not that hunting is wrong, but wild venison (and most every other wild food) tends to carry a *huge* parasite load.

Venison is fairly lean. If you cook it enough to kill the parasites properly, you tend to turn the meat into an unchewable mass. Even if you cook it properly, you're gettin' a whole lot dead of worms and bugs and stuff in there that doesn't come in farmed animals. But the farmed stuff doesn't have to be cooked to death to be safe. Much more enjoyable.

Boss

First Post
I used to hunt quite a bit, mainly deer, but with the price of a lease in Texas getting progressively worse, I gave it up. My father is still a hunter, and brings me some summer sausage and jerky every season. It was enjoyable, but just too damned pricey out here.

Now, I hunt other people on the paintball, much cheaper (well, the green fees at least, the markers - for the non-pc inclined "guns" cost as much if not more than a good rifle) and no one really gets hurt.

Teflon Billy

Explorer
Voadam said:
I myself hunt and started as a kid, taught by my father. I've had many meals from birds I've shot myself which is particularly satisfying.

Same.

Unfortunately I don't make the time now to hunt regularly anymore (family, work, etc.), just the occasional shooting or hunting trip once a year or so.

and...same :(

It's been years since I've gotten out. Mostly we just go camping, and my girls don't really have the interest/stomach for it.

Darth K'Trava

First Post
I never had the interest in hunting. But then alot of females don't (that I know of). My sister's ex-fiance hunted as did a friend of his. And a couple of cousins-in-law do.

Lady_Acoma

First Post
I took hunter's safety as a kid and went out hunting with my dad a few times in an effort to bond with him more, but I really didn't enjoy it. However hunting in my family is not for the sport of it or the trophies, it is for the meat. The meat we get hunting saves us a lot of money on beef and what not, and some of it tastes better. Heck in my family if a deer is hit nearby (which happens a lot where I live) and my dad gets there and gets permission from the cops he will take his hunting license and tag it just so the meat won't go to waste alongside the road, thereby giving up his right to hunt for that animal.

Khayman

First Post
I've been out hunting moose with Native friends of mine and helped in the butchering, but I've never shot anything myself. I'd like to learn the skills, though.

Wombat

First Post
I don't hunt myself and have no real interest in it, but I know several hunters, some of whom I respect deeply and some of whom I cannot abide.

The guy I admire most lives up in Humboldt County in California. Every year he buys 10 bullets. Every year he bags 2 deer. And every year he uses every bit of the meat, noble or humble, tans the hides, makes bone buttons and impliments, boils down the hooves, etc.

Can't help but respect a person who has that much repsect for his prey.

And besides, he makes some very cool deer-leather pants.

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
I stopped when I was about 15 or so. I have no moral, philosophical, or religious qualms or restrictions about it. Everyone on my wife's side of the family hunts, and more power to 'em. I'm just far too lazy to invest that much time and energy into something with uncertain results. And what's with that getting up at 4 a.m. to climb a tree in the freezing rain? It ain't worth it to me.

Mystery Man

First Post
Two twelve guages,a Brittany that points, a friend with an acreage out in the country and farmers for nieghbors who don't care if you hunt on their land, and time out the wazzoo.

No motivation. Well at least not right now anyway. This may change come pheasant season however.

Remove ads