• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Arcane Trickster - What spells are good with Magical Ambush?

lkwpeter

Explorer
Hey,

I am playing a Rogue (Arcane Trickster). So far, I relied on spells without a saving throw (like Minor Illusion, Silent Image, Mirror Image, etc.).

Now I hit level 9 and get "Magical Ambush" that gives creatures disadvantage on their saving throws against my spells (if I cast them while hidden). So I was thinking if there are any good ones (damage and non-damage) that I should switch to now.

Any ideas?

Kind regards and thanks in advance!

Spohedus

Explorer
Perhaps a Hold Person, followed by a bonus action off-hand sneak attack with advantage and auto crit. Assuming a non-magical short sword as an off-hand that is an almost guaranteed 12d6+5 strike. They still have subsequent ST's to shake it off.

Or for situational control, you can levitate a strong melee opponent and remove them from the fight while you take care of other mobs. Then lower it and finish it off.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
I like phantasmal force, if your DM is at all cool about illusions. It has a lot of different uses and should almost always enable you to get your SA. Plus it seems to fit your theme.

Otherwise Hold Person is definitely nice, I'd add Suggestion too. Hideous Laughter at 1st level.

followed by a bonus action off-hand sneak attack with advantage and auto crit.
How are you getting to make the bonus action attack?

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Perhaps a Hold Person, followed by a bonus action off-hand sneak attack with advantage and auto crit. Assuming a non-magical short sword as an off-hand that is an almost guaranteed 12d6+5 strike.

[MENTION=60210]jaelis[/MENTION] is right. You aren't allowed to attack with your off-hand weapon as a Bonus action attack unless you have used your Action to make an Attack with your main-hand weapon. You have to do the first in order to get the second.

lkwpeter

Explorer
Thanks for your replies!

Fantasmal Force sounds awesome and is exactly what I was looking for. Didn't notice that spell so far.

Does anybody know a good summary about how to use this spell? It seems like it is perfectly suited to exploit. After a google search I found dozens of questions and discussions about that. So I hope that maybe there is already a summary about that.

Thanks in advance!

Gwarok

Explorer
Honestly any of them are pretty good. Suggestion, fear, hypnotic pattern, confusion. And let's not forget Phantasmal Killer if you run higher level campaigns. Can't go too far wrong. Detect Thoughts is more effective for the interrogation usage of it as well if you can impose disadvantage. All good things.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Don't know if I'd include phantasmal killer on a list of "good spells." But I suppose it depends some how your DM runs it.

Gadget

Adventurer
I agree with [MENTION=60210]jaelis[/MENTION]. I would certainly not include phantasmal killer on any list of 'good' spells. The fear effect an be nice, but two saves before it does some moderate damage? No thanks.

Out of the spells available for the Arcane Trickster to learn, Suggestion is one of the most useful imo.

"Go on, take the guards with you and go drinking. You deserve it after a hard day's work. The vault is locked up tight anyway..."

wedgeski

Adventurer
This is definitely becoming one of those rules that players have a hard time internalizing. I've had to remind my resident rogue twice in the last couple of sessions, and it pops up on here quite a lot as well.

Remove ads