• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Archdevil Moloch (Mordenkainen's tome of foes preview from Dragon+)

Cyrinishad

Explorer
If Mr. Wilson or someone agrees to take the part of the players...

Make sure that any players that want to take on Moloch submit a list of everyone their PCs have ever cared about (family/friends/etc...), so that Moloch can hunt them down, murder them and animate their corpses as Zombies prior to the encounter... Since he can cast Animate Dead at will he can just Zombify all of them, use them as meat shields, and force the PCs to hack their way through them in an elaborate act of futility while Moloch laughs at the PCs vain attempts to defeat him.:devil:

dave2008

Legend
The barbarian has advantage on Initiative checks and will go first or second when combined with cutting words. For sure the Ranger is getting all her attacks in that first round. The ranger deals more damage than what the monster can regenerate if he decides to stay away. If it wants to do anything other than get destroyed by the wizard and the ranger.

Like I said, the most likely outcome is the Devil Lord flees for his life at the end of the first round. This isn't a fight it can win against my group.

With legendary actions Moloch always goes 1st or Second doesn't he? He either wins initiative (goes first) or uses a legendary action after the first PC or whatever creature goes first. That is the terrible beauty of legendary actions, you're never worse than second.

I am sure there is a particular group that can make him hurt (range attack heavy group comes to mind), but it seems like you misunderstand what Moloch can do. All that being said, I wish he had more hit points.

Last edited:

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Make sure that any players that want to take on Moloch submit a list of everyone their PCs have ever cared about (family/friends/etc...), so that Moloch can hunt them down, murder them and animate their corpses as Zombies prior to the encounter... Since he can cast Animate Dead at will he can just Zombify all of them, use them as meat shields, and force the PCs to hack their way through them in an elaborate act of futility while Moloch laughs at the PCs vain attempts to defeat him.:devil:

I understand what you are getting at, but I think it is still interesting (and more reasonable) to address the simpler question of who would win in a more-or-less straight up fight. After all, the players might also have the ability to learn a lot about Moloch's allies, enemies, and weaknesses. And the players could also show up with an army of undead (or simulacra, for that matter). For the discussion at hand, I'd rather leave that kind of thing out :)

dave2008

Legend
Then give him more HP. Not sure what the problem is.

I have no problem, I already have a more powerful stat block for him: 5e Epic Updates. But I think I will add some of the versatility of this version to mine.

EDIT: My version as 640 HP and is CR 27

EDIT2: Actually my version already has a lot of the official versions abilities. Its been a while since I made it and I had forgotten!

Last edited:

Mr. Wilson

Explorer

2nd. The assumption is that he will teleport away at the end of the first PC turn.

Cyrinishad

Explorer
I understand what you are getting at, but I think it is still interesting (and more reasonable) to address the simpler question of who would win in a more-or-less straight up fight. After all, the players might also have the ability to learn a lot about Moloch's allies, enemies, and weaknesses. And the players could also show up with an army of undead (or simulacra, for that matter). For the discussion at hand, I'd rather leave that kind of thing out :)

I know, I was just maximizing nefarious intent for effect... However, would you consider a single pre-cast Symbol spell as part & parcel of a straight up fight? I generally would because I would envision the PCs as seeking out Moloch in his lair, therefore giving him the advantage of having Lair Actions... I know Moloch doesn't have any in the literal sense, but I would consider any spell-like abilities that last until dispelled to be pre-cast when designing an encounter, since they would part of the lair... But, I can certainly see the argument to have no pre-cast spells at all.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
The 1E art reminds me of the time when I was about 12 and my Mother's friend expressed disbelief that I was allowed to play such a dangerous game. It always amused me that certain types saw devil stat blocks as a lure to devil worship.

Heh, tieflings and devil warlocks kinda prove them right.

Remove ads