• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Archdevil Moloch (Mordenkainen's tome of foes preview from Dragon+)

Even if Counterspell doesn't work, which I concede I misread as an innate spell like ability, not much changes. If the creature wants to attack the party, it has to be within 120 feet to use it's spell like abilities which puts it comfortably within range of the ranger and/or a hastey barbarian.

I should point out the Illusionist Wizard spent all his ability increases on Int and has the only very rare item in the party, an Ioun Stone of Intelligence stolen from a deceased wizard they fought. The illusionist is actually smarter than this fiend.

Yeah so your wizard gets one reaction a round. If he counters the first spell Moloch casts he can't counter any others. And if a stinking cloud is dropped on the Wizard he is likely not going to do anything for that turn.

I tested Moloch against my level 12 party of 6. And he kicked their asses. They only got one really good blow in the entire fight. When I forgot to have Moloch teleport out of the Paladins Melee range and the Pally with his vorpal sword critted him. (Moloch being legendary is immune to the instant kill, but the sword does a bunch of extra damage if they are immune.) Still he was able to easily leave the fight and regenerate. And the Pally and Barbarian were the only party members that could even fight him. As the Cleric, Rogue, Ranger and Wizard got blasted by his despair breath soon after he teleported behind them after the Pally and Barb charged him. (And none of them made their save.)

Mr. Wilson

Explorer
Yeah so your wizard gets one reaction a round. If he counters the first spell Moloch casts he can't counter any others. And if a stinking cloud is dropped on the Wizard he is likely not going to do anything for that turn.

I tested Moloch against my level 12 party of 6. And he kicked their asses. They only got one really good blow in the entire fight. When I forgot to have Moloch teleport out of the Paladins Melee range and the Pally with his vorpal sword critted him. (Moloch being legendary is immune to the instant kill, but the sword does a bunch of extra damage if they are immune.) Still he was able to easily leave the fight and regenerate. And the Pally and Barbarian were the only party members that could even fight him. As the Cleric, Rogue, Ranger and Wizard got blasted by his despair breath soon after he teleported behind them after the Pally and Barb charged him. (And none of them made their save.)

What makes my party so deadly is their ability to constantly go before the monster. Cutting Words on Initiative is absurdly powerful. Also, the fact they are rocking both SS on an archery built ranger and GWM on a barbarian for constant advantage.

Last week, they demolished a pit fiend in two rounds. Pit fiend was gated in by an enemy, they focus fired it, it died a horrible, horrible death (though they did have an NPC rogue to help, but he only hit once).

Last edited:

neogod22

Explorer
The start of the fight, you lead off with breath of despair. Anyone who fails their save, drops their weapons and runs away. Say the barbarian drops his nice +3 great axe, guess what new weapon Moloch has. Tleports as legendary actions makes it impossible to pin him down. The 30' whip attack makes for a ridiculous oppent movement control. The only thing they always mess up on in 5th is the HP. Ihsbe no idea why. I could understand if the had damage resistances like the older editions. I can see him doing a lot of hit and run tactics.

What makes my party so deadly is their ability to constantly go before the monster. Cutting Words on Initiative is absurdly powerful.

That would matter if the monster was not legendary and can teleport out melee reach before your close combat fighters start beating him down. He can also just stay out of reach and regenerate if he needs to.

neogod22

Explorer
That would matter if the monster was not legendary and can teleport out melee reach before your close combat fighters start beating him down. He can also just stay out of reach and regenerate if he needs to.
And to add on this, I like to play smart villains smart. Being he is a devil and master manipulator, you would never see him coming. We would join a fight from an ambush he set up that pits the party in another dangerous fight. Use his whip to pull party members away from others to isolate and or finish them. I would even have him do,killing blows so the healers can't pick people up. Maybe even use animate dead so now you have to fight your zombified friends.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
What makes my party so deadly is their ability to constantly go before the monster. Cutting Words on Initiative is absurdly powerful.
"Constantly"? It is certainly good to get to go first in the battle, but that is just one round, after that everyone is cycling as normal, no?

Mr. Wilson

Explorer
The barbarian has advantage on Initiative checks and will go first or second when combined with cutting words. For sure the Ranger is getting all her attacks in that first round. The ranger deals more damage than what the monster can regenerate if he decides to stay away. If it wants to do anything other than get destroyed by the wizard and the ranger.

Like I said, the most likely outcome is the Devil Lord flees for his life at the end of the first round. This isn't a fight it can win against my group.

Mr. Wilson

Explorer
Also cutting words doesn't work on creatures immune to charm, like Moloch is.

Conceded. I overlooked immune to charm. That does take some of the bite out of the bard, but means she tunnels it into giving the ranger bonuses to hit.

Odds are still in their (the barbarian and the ranger) favor to go first due to advantage on initiative checks.

Remove ads