• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Are Milestones fun?

Oni

First Post
Yeah, there's nothing wrong with milestones as written. They're not bad or detrimental by any means. I just kind of feel like they were a missed opportunity to do something more interesting.

Mad Hamish

First Post
I just house rule that every encounter is a milestone. Simplifies it for me and increases the number of action points.

I find that making every encounter a milestone actually rewards them more for continued play. Your action points reset to 1 at the end of an extended rest, and the players like to accumulate action points for harder encounters.

Agree with you, ignore milestones if you want, keep them if you like em. But if we're discussing the merits of RAW, I have to say I think they should have left them out. Awarding more action points is fun and more simple, and doesn't seem to unbalance anything.

a) how is awarding action points more fun than a milestone that awards an action point and does other things?
b) raw only 1 action point can be spent per encounter (specific exceptions do exist I think).
c) having 1 action point to spend per encounter makes the paragon path bonus on action points even better (e.g battlefield archer will have +7 to AC vs Opportunity attacks in every encounter)
d) combined with b) your change makes some additional methods of getting action point much less useful (e.g. battefield archers get an action point when they drop somebody)

Wycen

Explorer
Milestones, and by extension action points, aren't a big part of our mentality yet and thus not really something our games use. In my one 4E game one player would point out milestones, at least by the DMG defines them, and would tell the DM, but every other play of 4E has been without them.

Action points rarely get used. We've played an Eberron campaign, so we've had some exposure to them and I ran a game where you could buy action points (players had xp batteries to buy them with) and I'm familiar with the idea of 'hero' points, but DnD just doesn't seem to be the game that conjures instant recognition of use or usefulness.

Remove ads