• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Are there jousting rules for 3E D&D?

Devall2000

First Post
My 3.5 PHB is not available to me at the moment and I was curious to know if there are jousting rules. If there are, what are they?

thanks,
Jamie

Galethorn

First Post
The only ones I can think of are in CW, but I'll summarize them here...

Each jouster attacks simultaneously, and can try to sunder the enemy's weapon or shield, or unhorse them (treat as a trip attempt). The blunted lances do double damage because both guys are charging; Ride-by Attack gives +4 to your attack in a joust. The first guy who yields or falls out of the saddle loses.

Silveras

First Post
In addition to those in Complete Warrior, you can find some 3rd party rules, too.

Green Ronin's Cavalier's Handbook presents the Cavalier, a knightly base class, and assorted rules goodies to go along with it (including jousting rules).

I do not recall specifically, but the Medieval Players' Handbook (also from Green Ronin) may have some as well. It *does* have another take on the basic Knight type class.

Relics & Rituals: Excalibur also offers a take on the Knightly character, with a more specifically Arthurian flavor. I believe there are also jousting rules there.

Banshee16

First Post
Silveras said:
In addition to those in Complete Warrior, you can find some 3rd party rules, too.

Green Ronin's Cavalier's Handbook presents the Cavalier, a knightly base class, and assorted rules goodies to go along with it (including jousting rules).

I do not recall specifically, but the Medieval Players' Handbook (also from Green Ronin) may have some as well. It *does* have another take on the basic Knight type class.

Relics & Rituals: Excalibur also offers a take on the Knightly character, with a more specifically Arthurian flavor. I believe there are also jousting rules there.

The book Legends of Excalibur also has jousting rules...

Banshee

Scribble

First Post
Thre's a set of rules in Tournaments, Fairs & Taverns

Also if you have back issues of Dragon issue: 299 has info on Jousts as well as Knights in general.

MEG Hal

First Post
Scribble said:

T,F and T can be ordered at the MEG site if you want it in print or RPGnow.com if you want it in .pdf from ENPublishing.

Last edited:

talien

Community Supporter
Scribble said:

Also if you have back issues of Dragon issue: 299 has info on Jousts as well as Knights in general.
Hiya!

I wrote that article, although I didn't write the jousting rules. Check out Dragon #299 here: http://www.paizo.com/store/products/byCategory/magazines/dragon/v5748btpy72w2

Once you look at the rules you discover very quickly that D20 is really optimized for melee combat. The rules for attacking and moving past someone, knocking them down, etc. are not quite as elegant as bashing them in the head while they're standing in front of you.

Remove ads