• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Are you a fudging fudger?

Are you a fudging fudger?

• I am primarily a GM, and I sometimes ignore or alter the die roll result.

Votes: 69 58.0%
  • I am primarily a GM, and I never ignore or alter the die roll result.

Votes: 32 26.9%
  • I am primarily a player, and I don't mind if my GM ignores or alters a die roll result.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • I am primarily a player, and I prefer it if the GM never ignores or alters a die roll result.

Votes: 10 8.4%

The Shaman

First Post
. . . [A] GM should be worrying about appropriate challenges. Barastrondo was saying that he is more concerned about appropriate results.
I strongly agree that providing appropriate challenges trumps insuring appropriate results, but in setting those challenges I do consider the consequences of, "What happens if the players roll aces through the whole encounter?" If I don't want an encounter to be deadly, I won't make it a deadly encounter, and that's part of my evaluation.

Considering that two of my favorite systems include insta-kill damage mechanics, I need to pay close attention anytime a situation could result in blazing six-guns (Boot Hill) or flashing blades (Flashing Blades).
I am much more concerned by a GM saying, "You encounter 10,000 orc minions wearing Hello Kitty T-shirts" than I am by a string of bad rolls.
I'll see your orcs and raise you 10K hobgoblins dressed in Sailor Moon costumes.

Remove ads