• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Are you familiar with these obscure monsters?

the Jester

Legend
Edit: Huh? I meant to make this a poll, but... er... anyway.

It's obscure monster poll time!

Are you familiar with any of the following monsters in D&D (any edition)? (If you have heard of them enough to have an idea of what they are, you probably count as 'familiar with' them.)

Anyway- the monsters in question:

1. Tarantella
2. Deodanth
3. Phraint
4. Thoul
5. Red Slime

Korgoth

First Post
Edit: Huh? I meant to make this a poll, but... er... anyway.

It's obscure monster poll time!

Are you familiar with any of the following monsters in D&D (any edition)? (If you have heard of them enough to have an idea of what they are, you probably count as 'familiar with' them.)

Anyway- the monsters in question:

1. Tarantella
2. Deodanth
3. Phraint
4. Thoul
5. Red Slime

1. Yes.
2. If it's a take off of what I'm thinking of, then yes.
3. Nope.
4. Yes. I've even seen one in a game session!
5. No.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Only one of those I've ever heard of is the Thoul; and though I don't remember what it is now, I'm pretty sure I ran a module a long time ago that had some in it.

Lanefan

Glyfair

Explorer
Phraint is an insectoid race from the Arduin game system. They are basically insect creatures that have no emotions.

Arduin was a very early system that was essentially heavily house ruled D&D. Eventually it evolved away from D&D into its own system.

Here is a miniature of a phraint.

Deodanth are also from Arduin. They are hairless and sort of a cross between a demon, a cat person with a demonic sort of personality (generally).

Here is a miniatures of a deodanth.

Last edited:

kibbitz

First Post
Thoul - cross between Ghoul and Troll? Regenerates? Could have sworn it was from somewhere in BECMI... but then again, I could be just imagining things...

Thoul - cross between Ghoul and Troll? Regenerates? Could have sworn it was from somewhere in BECMI... but then again, I could be just imagining things...

This!

It was in the DM manual in the old Basic D&D (don't know the acronymous, the red box anyway).
I used them as a DM once or twice :)

The others never heard of, except for having met with Red Slime in some old Dragonquest videogame, but I don't think that counts :)

Remove ads