• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Are you going to buy the new 2024 D&D Core Books

Do you plan on getting the new D&D core books in 2024?

• Poll closed .

I think anyone making up their mind about it now is jumping the gun.
You may be on the fence, and that is fine. But you believe that 60% of people who are saying yes (at the time of this post) are jumping the gun? That is an interesting assertion about the motivations of other people you don't know. Do you think they don't know what they like or don't understand their own motivation for purchasing things? Care to weigh in on what you think about anyone who backs a Kickstarter that has even less information? Are they jumping the gun?

I know I like 5E. I like new books with new art and new ideas. I know I can take and leave what I want out of the book. I know I have owned every D&D book since late 2E, including the oft-maligned 4E. Because that is just one of my things. I like reading D&D books.

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
I'm not sure. I am definitely picking up TOTV, and Level Up (again) if it's rereleased under a different license.

Considering the new D&D core will probably be 0% open content, it might be better if I don't buy them or read them, you know?

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
You may be on the fence, and that is fine. But you believe that 60% of people who are saying yes (at the time of this post) are jumping the gun? That is an interesting assertion about the motivations of other people you don't know. Do you think they don't know what they like or don't understand their own motivation for purchasing things?
I mean, I like what I’m seeing so far, but there’s still plenty of time left that that could change. After seeing so many people 180 from “this is obviously incompatible with the 2014 rules” to “this could have been done with errata,” I just think the track record does not give good reason to believe that what we see now is necessarily a good indication of what the final product will be like. Certainly one might think they are likely to buy them if they look similar to what we’ve seen so far (and personally I do), but I think that “if” is doing a lot of work. You make whatever purchasing decisions you want, but I prefer to gather as much relevant information as possible before making a decision, and there’s still lots more information to come.
Care to weigh in on what you think about anyone who backs a Kickstarter that has even less information? Are they jumping the gun?
Kickstarter is a very different thing. Backing a Kickstarter is investing in a project you think has strong potential and needs funding. Doing so is by its nature accepting a degree of risk, as any investment is. The 2024 rules don’t need our investment to be produced, and we don’t need to take the risk of paying into it before it’s actually out and available for purchase.
I know I like 5E. I like new books with new art and new ideas. I know I can take and leave what I want out of the book. I know I have owned every D&D book since late 2E, including the oft-maligned 4E. Because that is just one of my things. I like reading D&D books.
Ok. You do you, friend; it’s no skin off my nose.

Last edited:

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I'm not sure. I am definitely picking up TOTV, and Level Up (again) if it's rereleased under a different license.

Considering the new D&D core will probably be 0% open content, it might be better if I don't buy them or read them, you know?
Huh? The 2024 rules are still being built on the back of the 2014 rules, which are now Creative Commons. Like 95% of the rules content is sure to be open, and after the tremendous PR disaster of trying to revoke the OGL, it seems unlikely they would risk keeping the remaining 5% closed off.

Divine2021

Adventurer
I am a solid maybe. I’m going to wait until reviews hit. I recently picked up Monsters of the Multiverse because it was on deep sale on Amazon, and I was real surprised at how neutered the lore was for so many species, to the point of neutering some and making utterly boring others. If the new books are nearly half as boring as that, then no, I won’t be buying them.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads