Are you out of the D&D closet?

Nish

First Post
Am I the only person here who does shout it out from the roof tops?:p

Seriously, though I'm not generally all that concerned with what others think of me. And I'm sure many people will form an opinion that I'm either wierd, a geek, or going to hell just from a passing glance at 50 meters. The funny thing is that they are all correct. :cool: I may not run up to every random stranger and tell them all about the cool new spell I got last Thursday, but if there's ever the slightest opening in a casual conversation, I'll let 'em know everything about my hobby that they can stand. If they tell me I'm a geek because of it, I'll tell them that I'm also a computer science major and that I carry a graphing calculator with me where ever I go. If someone tells me that I'm going to hell, I'll just tell them that I have a character who has in fact been to Baator, as well as Gehenna, The Grey Waste, Carceri, and the Abyss more times than she likes to think about...

I like DnD. I like the fact that I like DnD. I like the fact that many people don't like the fact that I like DnD.:D

applenerd

First Post
For the most part it has never been a big deal. I've only had one person have a strange reaction to the fact that I play. I think he was more surprised that I play it than anything. I guess he underestimated the nerd in me! :p Overall though most of the time if people find out, they just don't really care. The group that I game with is actually people from work so that's no big deal. I think rpg video games and LotR has done a lot to alter the perception of dnd and it's players.

gregweller

First Post
I don't think I could be out anymore than I am. I've always got a small stack of gaming books on my one bookshelf at work along with a couple of sets of dice, and one of those Cthulhu stickers that's a parody of the christian 'fish' stickers. I regularly use gaming web sites as examples of web development concepts, and the other day I showed one of our children's librarians (I work in a large public library) this message board as an example of what you can do with bulletin board software. I've never concealed a book I've been reading when I'm out somewhere, and I would just love to read the riot act to anyone who would make a comment about that. My feeling is that life is *way* too short to worry about what someone else might think about something I enjoy. I'm also very out about the fact that I'm Wiccan, so I guess it's just part of my personality. (On the other hand, my wife did say that she wouldn't be seen with me in public if I wore this t-shirt that had a picture of Charleton Heston as Moses on the frontt, with the line 'Never trust a man who lets a god tell him how to **** ' ...on the third hand, she did get me a Pokethulhu shirt for Yule.)

Falcon

First Post
For me, it is no big deal. I work, I swim, I mountainbike, I ski, I read, I write, I do lots of other things, too. Cool thing is, the owner of the company I manage (there are three of us in the company), is a former actress turned consulting who thinks things like D&D are cool. D&D is a component of my social interactions. Everyone I game with hasthey do besides D&D, and we often engage in other social activities together outside of D&D. Of course, some of them having spouses/partners who do not game helps in that. :D

Anyway, I say be who you are and enjoy what you do.

applenerd

First Post
Wicht said:
I have played for around 18 years and I have never hid it. Why be a hypocrite? I am a conservative Christian but I know the difference between fantasy and reality and can explain that difference lucidly to anyone who ask.

I'm not a religious person myself but I has a very loose Christian upbringing as a kid. I've never understood the religious argument against the game since typically the characters are FIGHTING evil and not summoning demons or whatever. It has always seemed to me that the argument was spawned from ignorance of the game rather than real religious reasons. The only exposure I've had to it was when one of my older brothers friends had to stop because they found the pictures in his 1st edition monster manual objectionable way back in the day. I guess maybe that book had some racy pictures for a 12 year old or whatever but I've found that usually young dnd players end up being better readers, and generally do better in school. Of course I'm only basing this on people I have known but it seems to make sense to me.

Anyway I don't want to start a religious debate here as that's not what these boards are about but it just seemed interesting to me...

Tom Cashel

First Post
And....

Agamon said:

Um, well, I'm a Habs fan. :eek:

Hey, at least they kicked the stuffing out of TBay tonight. :)

Hey, at least no one can taunt YOU by saying, "1 cup in 50 years?!?" Rangers failed to even beat the Blue Jackets last week! Ugh!

Aryoche

Explorer
Most definately out of the gaming closet here... in fact, I ripped the door off, and built some shelves to house my books, since the bookshelf in the living room had reached capacity!

Actually, there was a time when I was actually asked a question about my hobbies and outside interests... right when I was promoted into the IT dept. Without thinking of my location, I answered RPG, which immediately led to a very lengthy discussion and explanation... see, my boss at the time used to be a gamer, but the HR person though I was referring to programming... he strung it along a little bit to see how I would handle it. But it was all in good fun.

The worst part was when I first started gaming so many years ago, and my father couldn't understand "why are you wasting your time and money and all those books?" Once he actually witnessed a game or two, he let up as long as it didn't interfere with school... and now, all these years later, he's hooked on Baldur's Gate!!!

Attachments

• PlaytestRulebook.png
    PlaytestRulebook.png
    195.4 KB · Views: 1,610

Red Baron

First Post
Definitely in...

My wife and family know, of course, but I tell no one, generally. A few of our friends have heard my wife tease me about my "geekiness," and have generally seemed quite surprised to know I play.

Of course, it's much more acceptable (to my family) now that I make money at it... funny, that... :rolleyes:

BButler

First Post
As yet another person in Ohio, I must admit that I am only partially "out." I was also raised in a family that saw D&D as evil. The sad part is that, at one time, I bought into the hype, and got rid of all my ADD 1e materials. Now I've realised how much nonsense that all was, and have come back to D&D. I still don't bring it up to the family, though, because I don't want to get the lecture.

As far as co-workers, i was embarrassed for a time because of the "geekiness" associated with gaming in the minds of others. Lately, though, I've come to embrace the geekiness in me, so its a secret no longer.

That's all I have to say about that . . .

Remove ads