Arendel’s Serpent's Skull Journal. (Complete! 06/25/13, With Pictures!)

Abciximab

Explorer
Session 32.

Lamashan the 29th (Cont).

A trapdoor in the floor led to a mold filled basement where our hostess had Max strapped to a stone table. The room had numerous piles of mold with humanoid body parts sticking out of them. I couldn’t tell if they were being used as fertilizer or “Art”. The green woman stood over Max with a large dagger-like thorn. As we dropped down, Taraz and I were both hit by a lightning bolt from a wand she pulled from the sash at her waist. I countered with a Suffocation spell, dropping her instantly. It was just a bit of mopping up from there, as two Basidironds stepped out of two different large piles of mold. They were quickly dealt with and we released Max from his bonds. We noted that, in death, the woman reverted to her true form, a Green Hag.

Surprisingly, Max was mostly unharmed. I can only assume he was enchanted or unconscious through most of the ordeal as he recalled very little. We found his equipment in one of the moldy piles.

We finally settled down and prepared for the day. We then left the little estate of horrors to continue our exploration of this district. The area seems very residential and the jungle has reclaimed much of the district. It’s as if the protective magics here have failed, or perhaps the district was never warded in the first place.

On the way to the district spear, we encountered Vegepygmies. Creatures we have not encountered since the Shiv. At the spear of Well Deserved Rest (easily identified, as it is the only one of the seven left) we found the steps covered with Russet Mold. Ace put his Acid Splash spell to good use and cleared the way for us.

At the top we encountered more Vegepygmies, including one that was probably the chief of the tribe. After their defeat, we gathered what information we could and moved on.

In a long central plaza covered with webs we encountered a Huge Spider. Taraz and Max attempted to navigate the hazards of the area and close with the creature, but I knew I lacked the acrobatic skill necessary to avoid the web strands. Max made it look easy, but Taraz found the going quite difficult.

Attempting to burn the webs seemed to be the best solution, but the flames released swarms of small spiders from a number of dangling egg sacks. Burning the webs also caused poisonous fumes to fill the area, causing both Max and Taraz to choke. They both appeared to grow a little glassy-eyed from the fumes and, after a few bites from the spider, Max fell unconscious. Ace’s summoned creatures, Taraz’s Searing Light and my Magical Missiles and Fire brought the creature down just in time. Taraz and Max had to be brought out of the webbing by one of Ace’s dexterous minions.

Using potions and Taraz’s prayers we were able to bring Max back to consciousness. We then made our way back to the Pathfinder camp on the central isle. We were greeted by N’Ketchi, Gelik and Amivor. We told them of our adventures, especially the Tomb of Savith and the Mantis Blade.

He agreed with our assessment of the tomb, that it is an adventure best saved for another time. The Mantis Blade caused him much anxiety. He felt it should be taken back to Absalom, back to the Pathfinder Grand Lodge for safe keeping. They lacked the ability to Teleport there and I have never been, so he will send it back the hard way: by courier. I do not have high hopes that the blade will make it to its destination.

----------​

Lamashan the 30th.

After an uneventful night, members of the tribe of the Sacred Serpent arrived in camp. They claimed they had found a member of our tribe in need of help. Apparently she bore a tattoo on her shoulder marking her as a Pathfinder. We quickly readied ourselves and then went with them to their village.

There we found a Half-Elven female. She was filthy and babbling incoherently. We noted the tattoo that identified her as a Pathfinder as Taraz assessed her condition. His diagnosis was quite dire. Her mind had been shattered by a Feeblemind effect. We lacked the powerful magics needed to heal her and she refused to travel with us, so we thought it best to return to the Pathfinder camp to see if they might have a Heal spell on a scroll that we might use. Luckily they did and we quickly returned to the village to cast it upon her. Poor Amivor seems even more troubled by the news of a wayward Pathfinder.

She has obviously been through quite an ordeal, because even with her mind restored it was difficult to make out what had happened to her. She tells us her name is Juliver and she speaks of being “Under the City”. She mentions a prison underground, escaping alone, destroying a magic door, ghoulish serpentfolk, silent serpentfolk hunters, and a general brown-out regarding her escape and her stumbling into the Sacred Serpent's territory.

We attempted to track her back to where she might have emerged from below. It took us to a general area southeast of the village, but could find no features that would allow access to whatever might lie below the city. It seems we have a bit of a mystery on our hands.

Attachments

• SavingMax.jpg
    SavingMax.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 106
  • Saving Max.jpg
    Saving Max.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 112
  • Top of Spear.jpg
    Top of Spear.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 113
  • Spider.jpg
    Spider.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 110

Abciximab

Explorer
End of Session 32.​

Photos:
1 & 2 – Rescuing Max!
3 – Fighting Vegepygmies at the top of the ziggurat.
4 – Fighting a huge spider in a web filled plaza.

So we rescued Max from the very clutches of evil! He had actually gone downstairs to “visit” with the beautiful green woman on his watch (“walked into the dragons den” as Peteinmaine put it). He was grappled and poisoned (not entirely sure about that part) by some type of plant and then taken down to her dungeon of horrors where we found him just in time! The others noted he was gone during their watch (Arendel has last watch, Max had first) but figured he had gone down to visit (correct) and it had gone quite well for him (Incorrect!). Arendel is a little naïve about such things, so the first scenario never would have occurred to him.

I think we’re all growing suspicious of the Pathfinders. One moment they won’t enter a district without us having cleared it and now it appears they are performing their own explorations, under the city, without telling us about it. Slipped their mind, or keeping secrets? I’m leaning toward the latter, as is Ace (though he’s cynical by nature). I won’t comment much on Amivor’s plan for the Mantis Blade other than to say I don’t believe for a moment that he could possibly expect that it will make it to Absalom.

Waaaaait a minute… I think I’ve just made myself even more suspicious of Amivor’s intentions… This is the same guy who told us not to “go looking for trouble” by attacking the Red Mantis in their camp… Maybe we are misinterpreting the source of his anxiety.

I think we’ve covered the whole city, though It’s not clear if we have wrapped book 3 yet or not… I’ll have to check with GMSoanso.

Abciximab

Explorer
Session 33.​

Lamashan the 31st.

Given recent events, I think we have all grown a little wary of the Pathfinders. Last night we met with Amivor. Coming out of the Tent was Aerys, one of our former companions on the Shiv. She was part of the group from the Shackles that had been exploring Saventh-Yhi. She says they have decided to “pull up anchor” and leave, though she didn’t give us any details. She thanked us for saving her on the Shiv and we went our separate ways.

Amivor had little information for us. It seems that Juliver was not a member of his group but a group associated with a “Rogue Pathfinder” named Eando Kline. Kline was apparently kicked out of the Pathfinders as his “philanthropic ways” got in the way of the much touted Pathfinder objectivity and neutrality. Amivor is somewhat sympathetic to his cause, however.

Amivor asked us to take a guard shift. We chose last shift so we would be well prepared. Our planning paid off. Early in our shift as we moved to the edge of the central isle, the entire city seemed to awaken at once. Screams, fires and the sounds of combat broke out in all directions at once. We were almost instantly mobbed by horrid, crawling undead with lashing tongues. Taraz tells me they are called Tuyewera.

Once we defeated this swarm of undead we moved toward the camp where there were more sounds of combat. On the way to the heart of the camp we encountered a swarm of Wights. Once we reached the main camp we confronted Ghasts and a Mummy within Amivor’s tent.

Once our enemies were defeated, a scout from the Tribe of the Sacred Serpent arrived and told us that similar attacks by an undead hoard had occurred throughout the city. He offered to take us to the building they believed to be the origin of the undead.

He brought us to an ancient mansion sitting on a small hill in the southernmost section of the Artisan’s District. Within the mansion we fought more Ghasts, Wights and some type of spellcasting, undead Serpentfolk. It would appear this Necromancer was the source of the undead, though it seems unbelievable he could control such a massive hoard. With his defeat, we made our way back to the Pathfinder Camp on the central isle.

----------​

Neth the 1st.

Juliver was finally ready to tell us her story today. She told us more of the story of Eando and his explorations throughout Golarion that has revealed the possibility of the return of the Serpentfolk race en masse. Though we have encountered a few, Eando feels there are many more in hidden places, resting or waiting to return.

Juliver’s story begins with her journey through the Darklands via the Barrier Wall Mountains with ostracized Pathfinder Eando Kline and a few other hand-picked Pathfinders. They had discovered a city of Serpentfolk under Saventh-Yhi that mirrored one Eando had discovered some time ago beneath Viperwall in Varisia.

Below Saventh-Yhi, they were discovered and attacked, only Juliver managed to escape. She followed a tunnel upwards and stumbled through a magic portal that was lined with crystals. In hopes of deterring her pursuers, she smashed some of the crystals. She then encountered an undead Serpentfolk she believed was a wizard, who cast a spell on her that disoriented her (A foe I believe we have already defeated, one that did indeed have Feeblemind in his spellbook). She remembers nothing between then and awakening in the Pathfinder camp, healed of her wounds.

She implored us to help her by retracing her steps to the portal. She offered to lead us to the area where we could enter the vaults under the city. On the way there, we found Jask and a woman from the Sargavan Government being pursued by agents of the Aspis Consortium. Once the enemies were defeated, the two told us the Aspis Consortium had attacked and all but destroyed their camp.

Needing little excuse to attack one of our most hated foes, we sought out their camp. Their original camp had been abandoned, but we found a new, fortified camp in the southeastern part of the city. Our assault begins now.

Last edited:

Abciximab

Explorer
End of Session 33.​

Of course a teleport closer to the PF HQ might have helped a lot

It may have helped a little. I could have got the sword back to one of the cities in Sargava, but it wouldn’t be any closer to its destination “as a crow flies”. Considering how quickly they found us after we found the sword (found it in the evening, ambushed the following morning) I don’t think shaving a few days off the journey would help.

No pictures! I really have to make the effort to remember the camera.

I’m slightly less suspicious of Amivor, just because the actual circumstances around Juliver’s appearance was misunderstood. I figured if there were Pathfinders in Saventh-Yhi, they must be members of our group. It never occurred to me that a whole other group would find the city independently. Boy, for a lost city, Saventh-Yhi sure had a lot of freakin’ tourists.

I don’t know about the others, but Arendel’s more than happy to kick some Aspis Butt. They’ve been pestering us since we reached the mainland, even bringing innocents into the conflict. Arendel hates them even more than the Red Mantis (At least you know what you get with them, “Assassin” is right in the name of the organization).

We’ve finally reached the beginning of Book 4 and we’ll pick up next time, with the assault on the Aspis Consortium compound!

Abciximab

Explorer
Session 34.​

Neth the 1st (Cont).

After casting Dimension Door to enter the compound, our assault on the Aspis Consortium began in earnest. We spent a round buffing. Haste for everyone, Enlarge Person and Bull’s Strength for Max, then we cleared the guards from what we discovered were massive supply tents. Along a cliff face, wooden portcullis held prisoners from the attack on the Sargavan camp. We noted a few disheveled individuals in Aspis consortium uniforms mixed in among the prisoners. We had learned from Jask that Ivo Haigan, the new leader of the Aspis Consortium in Saventh-Yhi, had earned his position very recently through a rather violent coup.

As we moved on, toward two low stone buildings, we were ambushed by archers on the grounds and up on the cliffs, but they were cleared out with a few well places Fireballs and a Flamestrike from Taraz. Haigan finally put in an appearance surrounded by more of his loyal archers. He resisted my Suffocation spell for some time as the others dealt with his minions. Just as the spell was about to expire, Haigan finally collapsed, unconscious.

After stripping him of his weapons and freeing the captives, we healed Haigan back to consciousness. He glared at us through his one good eye. The other looked as though it had been pierced and destroyed in some previous battle. I reminded him of his crimes against the people of the Sargavan encampment as well as his own and told him he faced execution unless he had some unknown reason or excuse that might mitigate his despicable actions. He spat and cursed us.

We examined him for possible magical influences, insanity and/or disease since his actions seemed a little out of place, even for an agent of the Aspis Consortium (their actions tend to be more clandestine). The violent attack on his own camp seemed especially out of place. The examinations revealed nothing. His execution was quick and as merciful as possible. Once dead, his skull seemed to collapse in on itself as if it were thinned, like the shell of an egg. Green slime leaked from his braincase. We did not know what to make of this, but made sure to burn his remains as a precaution.

General Rotilius, the Sargavan representative we had met so long ago in Eleder, was quite grateful for his rescue and that of his people.

In addition to a few useful baubles around the camp, we found much of the Aspis Consortium’s research on Saventh-Yhi. I suspect the Pathfinders will find it quite useful. We returned to camp to report to Amivor.

----------​

Neth the 2nd.

Amivor told us that the Pathfinder’s research suggests that there may be several underground vaults located around Saventh-Yhi. He believes Juliver emerged from one such vault. Combining this information with Juliver’s instructions we were able to locate a set of stone doors that marked the entrance to one of these vaults. The very one she had emerged from in her Feebleminded state.

Upon entering the first chamber, we were immediately ambushed by Kech archers. These hairless ape-like creatures used poison on their weapons in a vain attempt to gain the edge over us. Though it was not particularly helpful for them, it was a tad annoying for us. After the battle, Taraz said a few prayers to counter the poison’s effects.

Following one of the two stone corridors that led from the room, we came across the dead body of a Sabosan, a strange bat-like humanoid. Just around the corner we found a room filled with various useless knickknacks and more Kech. Once they were defeated we performed a thorough search of the room, but found nothing of interest.

Further on we found a chamber filled with a hoard of Sabosan. They assaulted our ears with their high pitched screams and our bodies with their claws and teeth, but could not prevail.

One side of the room was blocked with a low wall constructed out of rock salt. It seemed quite an odd finding at the time, but after we clambered over it and moved down the long hall its placement suddenly made sense. There, moving toward us, was a Giant Slug. I attempted to Disintegrate it just after it spat acid at Max, but it was able to resist most of the effect of my spell. I was finally able to defeat it with what has become one of my most deadly spells, Scorching Ray. The three rays burst from my hand, burning the creatures head to ash. It was rather disgusting.

We are now recovering in a small room where there are two halls leading off in opposite directions (one of which we entered through), a door in another and the ruins of a statue, or at least what we had thought was a statue. When we initially arrived and moved toward the door to open it, the statue animated. It was, in fact, a Large Stone Golem. Taraz suffered quite a lot of damage from the construct’s pummeling (perhaps I should have cast Stoneskin on him instead of Max), but remained on the front line with Max. It was quite startling running into the stone guardian, but it was eventually defeated through strength of arms, as magic had little effect upon it.

We are now ready to see what lies beyond the door that might justify the need for such a formidable guardian.

Attachments

• Slug1.jpg
    Slug1.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 105
  • Slug2.jpg
    Slug2.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 108
  • Slug3.jpg
    Slug3.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:

mundinironhand

First Post
The stone golem

WHat my good friend,*cough, cough* failed to mention is that Ace (thats my summoner) dropped the golem into a nice deep pit filled with acid. This did a decent amoutn of damage as well as allowing the rest of the party time to buff and position themselves.

Abciximab

Explorer
End of Session 33.​

The PCs are:
Arendel Whisperson – Human Fire Elemental Wizard 11 (Abciximab)
Max “Little” Hammer – Human Fighter/Rogue 7/4 (Peteinmaine)
Acemodius and Kay’Es – Tiefling Summoner 10 and his Eidolon (Mundinironhand)
Taraz – Aasimar Oracle of Life 10(Adam B.)
Ka’Azbu – Human Ranger 9 (?) (David)

Lwaxy
Yeah good point about the teleport.

Oh, don’t get me wrong… If I had thought of that at the table, I probably would have done it. “Something” is usually better than “Nothing”, perhaps a break in the trail would have helped. I just wouldn’t have been surprised if it didn’t, I suspect their connection to the blade is pretty tight.

Lwaxy
You are going through this AP pretty fast, very cool.
Are we? Hmmm… I suppose this is true when compared to most groups. The only comparison we have for a full length AP was Shackled City which we wrapped in 18 months. We’re looking at about 2 years total for this one, though our gaming time has recently increased from 3 to 4 hours, so that may be subject to revision. I don’t mind taking our time though because…

RedTonic
Sounds like you guys are having a pretty good time at it!
We definitely are!

Pictures – All pictures are of our encounter with the Giant Slug. The non-standard mini was a hand crafted gift from my daughter for Father’s Day last year. She was thrilled when she heard we used it in an “official” game. My thanks to the author of the module for including this encounter and to GM Soanso for taking and e-mailing the pics, as I forgot to bring my camera down to the game room (Doh!).

The assault on the Aspis Consortium was cool, a real “Storm the Castle” encounter. We never got bogged down in combat so it had a very fluid feel to it. Encounters like this are great because you get to “feel your level” as you mow through the low level mooks. I have no idea what to make of Haigen’s green brain goop.

Next, we find ourselves in a Dungeon Setting! Into the vault below Saventh-Yhi! A few very strange creatures, hairless apes (Kech), Bat-Folk (Sabosan), a Giant Slug… I was way too excited about the slug encounter. I hoped to Disintegrate it with my first use of that particular spell, but I had to settle for Scorching Ray (I’m pretty sure a Giant Slug’s Fort Save is through the roof). My daughter loves to hear of Arendel’s Adventures and Disintegrating her Giant Slug would have been the icing on the cake.

Remove ads