Arendel’s Serpent's Skull Journal. (Complete! 06/25/13, With Pictures!)

Abciximab

Explorer
End of Session 20.​

Finally, a little site based adventuring! I think Lamashan the 7th is the longest single day entry in the entire journal so far. Arendel has finally reached a point where, not only does he have a great selection of spells, but he can actually use them regularly without worrying too much about running out. I think it might be time to dump the Light Crossbow. It was nice to have a long adventuring day full of exploration and encounters. I wasn’t even too disappointed when my Magic Missiles and Scorching Rays either missed or failed to penetrate Issilar’s Spell Resistance. My Haste and Fly (and Max’s Hammer) more than made up for it. The party has been well prepared for most eventualities and has proven to be well balanced.

Arendel doesn’t have much magical equipment. He’s got the Gold Lion Figurines, a +1 Dagger, a Wayfinder, a few scribed scrolls and his bonded wand. I think Max actually has the bulk of the magic (which still isn’t that much). A Ring and Amulet to buff his AC and a Magic Weapon… I don’t even think his armor is magical. We did capture a spellbook from the Serpent-Folk enchanter though, a few extra spells in your spellbook is definitely worthwhile.

Max proved that combat reflexes and a reach weapon are definitely still worthwhile as well. I think I actually had the highest initiative and got off a Magic Missile before the creatures ran up and killed themselves on Max’s hammer, but the story is better this way (they always grow in the telling). Had I realized what Max had in store I would have delayed, but we had yet to see this particular ability come into play. Eager to move on and reach Saventh-Yhi, we chose to abandon Tazion and move on immediately. I’m not sure how much we missed, hopefully not too much.

Our new player missed this one. Hopefully we’ll have a full party next session and we are hoping to even get the Oracle back in the session after that (Our games will shift from Monday to Tuesday). We did get enough xp to ding. One of the advantages to running shorthanded, extra xp! I’ll have party build and level next wrap up.

The “Base Camp Building” took about a half an hour to have explained to us and to work out what we think will be best. With all of us helping Max, we managed to hit the DC30 Survival Check to establish the camp in a single day (With a 19 on the die, I think we actually managed a 32). That wrapped the session for us, so we’ll get down to the nitty-gritty next time. Into Saventh-Yhi!

Last edited:

Abciximab

Explorer
Session 21.​

Lamashan the 10th (Cont).

After reviewing my current journal entry I must add the following. Entry to the city of Saventh-Yhi was not as simple as the above entry may imply. The approach to Saventh-Yhi involved a river crossing. There were two possibilities, one high bridge (with pteradons flying overhead) or a low bridge. The low bridge seemed clear, but in fact, two crocodiles lay in wait for unsuspecting victims. Max dealt with them quickly and we marked the low road as “safe” for the expedition.

We also encountered a few girallons, powerful four armed apes. A tough fight, but my ability to exclude my allies from the effect of my fireballs proved quite handy.

----------​

Lamashan the 11th.

Amivor Glaur and the rest of the Pathfinder expedition arrived in camp today and complimented us on our accomplishments. It will be nice to have a relatively safe place to fall back to for resources. We discussed exploration strategies.

----------​

Lamashan the 12th.

Our first true exploration of Saventh-Yhi started today. Our camp is along the north-western edge of the city so we worked our way almost due east. We came across a series of ancient aqueducts and locks. According to Max, the area seems to have seen some traffic from lizard like and ape like humanoids as well as other creatures. We soon encountered a group of well equipped Charau-Ka and their pet dire apes, who were probably the source of some of the prints. These creatures were not only better armed than the Charau-Ka we fought in Tazion, but better trained as well.

We continued east toward one of seven tall spires we have noted around the city. I have seen a few references to “The City of Seven Spears”. It seems quite clear that these references are to Saventh-Yhi. I noticed most of the buildings were under some sort of transmutation effect, perhaps part of what is slowing the decay of the buildings, since many look to be in much better shape than expected. Many of the austere buildings in this immediate area seemed to be related to crafting and defense, perhaps it was a military district.

In a plaza coated with excrement we noticed the bodies of a few Serpent-Folk hanging from the stonework. They had been bludgeoned to death (by the Charau-Ka and their darkwood clubs, we assume) and probably hung as a warning. As we moved north toward the spire we were ambushed by more Charau-Ka and Girallons.

The spire was mounted atop a tall ziggurat with no obvious entry. We started up the steep steps. At the top there was a huge statue of a demonic creature, a representation of Angazhan, the demonic embodiment of savage strength and destruction, if I am not mistaken. He is worshipped by Girallons and the Angazhani, members of the Girallon leadership caste. Just as we took in the sights, we were ambushed once more by Charau-Ka and Girallons.

Once they were defeated I noted the petroglyphs on the Spire identified it as the Spear of Righteous Anger. It was marked as one of the seven “Virtues” of the ancient Azlanti. The petroglyphs also included instructions on how to activate it, though we are unsure what “activating” the spear actually achieves. The glyphs seem to imply the spear may help those nearby find their “True Mark” when in combat.

According to the glyphs, there are three ways to activate it.

1. Anoint the spear with the blood of a powerful creature. What constitutes “powerful” is left undefined.

2. Channel divine energy into the spear. It appears this must be done by a Cleric dedicated to a god of battle, Gorum perhaps.

3. Perform a ceremony that is basically one hour of mock combat before the spear. We attempted this, but were unable to achieve the desired result (unsurprisingly). While we are quite fierce in battle, we are all less than impressive when attempting to display our ferocity, especially outside of an actual conflict.

As a side note, seeing as there are seven Spears and seven Virtues, I suspect each of the spears will bear the mark of one of the Virtues, wealth, fertility, honest pride, abundance, eager striving, righteous anger, and well-deserved rest.

We then noted smoke rising from a large building we had passed on the way to the spear, so we retraced our steps. When we arrived at the structure, I noted that it seemed to have been a royal house or governor’s building in its heyday. Upon entering we were set upon by more Charau-Ka and dire apes. As we stormed the place I overheard one mentioning the need to warn others and get help. Warning one called “Olujimi” seemed the highest priority (Learning Polyglot while researching the Mwangi Expanse has proven useful in many instances).

We moved in quickly as our enemies fell before us. We fought our way through two rooms before entering a third where a number of dire apes surrounded what was to become one of our most fearsome foes yet, an Angazhani. The Angazhani was armed with shield and axes. I suspected we had found this “Olujimi” our enemies had mentioned.

We threw everything we had at them and the dire apes fell quickly. The Angazhani was another story. He was resistant to both our weapons and fire and also seemed to see right through the spell of Invisibility I had thrown over Max. Things were looking pretty dire, but it soon became obvious we were slowly wearing him down. As our victory grew closer, the creature teleported away to places unknown. We were unsure as to where he may have gone and a brief search turned up nothing.

As I had expended most of my magical energy, we thought it best to return to camp and rest at this point. In the morning we shall return to hunt for this creature. I shall have to see if I can procure some magic that might remove Olujimi’s escape plan from the equation.

Last edited:

Peteinmaine

First Post
Max explores

So we FINALLY found Saventh Yee..Arendel tells me I can't get Tian food here even though it sounds like it...I really wanted Chow mein. There's battle all over the place! We made our own camp, and then the pathfinders moved in and brought stuff. We can re-equip in the camp now which is cool. I have killed SOOOOO many monkeys!!!! There was this big one that was like a demon monster! Arendel softened him up and I smacked him around...he ran away! But he was in a HUGE building....we're gonna go back later because I still want to kick his ass. This place is a whole city of stuff to fight!! I will be legendary! I'm gonna fight everything here! My name will be told to the Shoanti children for generations...I'm going back when this is all over to show the havoc dad's hammer brought to all who stood before me! I hope Arendel doesn't mind me writing my journal on his special scroll paper....He's always keeping his journal I felt left out.

Peteinmaine

First Post
Max explores

So we FINALLY found Saventh Yee..Arendel tells me I can't get Tian food here even though it sounds like it...I really wanted Chow mein. There's battle all over the place! We made our own camp, and then the pathfinders moved in and brought stuff. We can re-equip in the camp now which is cool. I have killed SOOOOO many monkeys!!!! There was this big one that was like a demon monster! Arendel softened him up and I smacked him around...he ran away! But he was in a HUGE building....we're gonna go back later because I still want to kick his ass. This place is a whole city of stuff to fight!! I will be legendary! I'm gonna fight everything here! My name will be told to the Shoanti children for generations...I'm going back when this is all over to show the havoc dad's hammer brought to all who stood before me! I hope Arendel doesn't mind me writing my journal on his special scroll paper....He's always keeping his journal I felt left out.
dungeon brawl gaming

Abciximab

Explorer
End of Session 21.​

The (soon to be) PCs are

Arendel Whisperson – Human Fire Elemental Wizard 8 (Abciximab)
Max “Little” Hammer – Human Fighter/Rogue 5/3 (Peteinmaine)
StillWorkingonaName - Human Ranger 7 (Dave)
Acemodius and Kay Es – Tiefling Summoner 7 and his Eidolon. (Mundinironhand)
Taraz - Aasimar Oracle of Life ?
Chumba - Human Barbarian ? (Hiatus)
N’Ketchi – Human Cleric 6 (NPC)

Let the exploration of Saventh-Yhi Begin! It looks like we have a lot of ground to cover. We will be returning to the Northeastern portion to wrap up a few loose ends. Hopefully the Pathfinders will prove their worth as we all have plans to purchase some stuff.

Exploration is going well. I’m really not sure what to make of these Spears. It's obvious they were an integral part of the city and probably served some purpose (Defense?). The 7 virtues/7 spears thing is really a guess on my part but I would be surprised if that’s not the case. If the Righteous Anger spear makes you fight better, what do the others do for you? Wealth? Rest? Fertility??? I can’t wait to see the ceremony to activate those! (Or maybe I can :eek:)

The new wave Charau-Ka are pretty tough (I guess worship of Angazhan is better for Charau-Ka) as were the Girallons, but we had yet to meet a foe like Olujimi. He was a tough one (SR, DR, Fire Resistance) and now we have to hunt him down.

Our next session will mark the first Tuesday game which should (eventually) get us back up to 6 players (with one on hiatus) and 1 GM.

Last edited:

Abciximab

Explorer
Session 22.​

Lamashan the 13th.

Having scribed Dimensional Anchor into my spellbooks, I made sure to include it in my repertoire to keep Olujimi from escaping us. The Mwangi Ranger that joined us back in Tazion has displayed a new level of trust to us this morning by revealing his tribal name, Ka’Azbu.

We returned to the large building we believe to be Olujimi’s lair, but found it mostly empty. I say mostly because we did find a few baubles and coins in a room filled with nausea inducing refuse.

Upon exiting the building we noticed a lot of activity atop the Ziggurat of the Spear of Righteous Anger. I was instantly filled with a sense of dread. We moved into the area, buffed and then hit them quickly by Dimension Dooring most of us up to the top of the ziggurat, with the remainder of the group following close behind on foot and wing. Olujimi was there of course, as were a few Charau-Ka. One of the Charau-Ka was an elderly female. She quickly moved behind the huge stone statue of the demonic looking ape. I had a strange feeling that I knew exactly what was to come.

Sure enough, the elderly Charau-Ka spell caster performed some type of ritual and the statue turned to flesh and blood. It swiftly attacked, along with the rest of our enemies.

I immediately hit Olujimi with the Dimensional Anchor to keep him from fleeing. As part of our preparation for this battle, N’Ketchi had aligned Max’s hammer and Ka’Azbu’s arrows. This combination would quickly lead to Olujimi’s downfall. Kay’Es fiercely attacked the Charau-Ka witch doctor while we dealt with the other creatures. By the time I was able to turn my attention to her, she already lay dead at Kay’Es’s feet.

Soon, with all of our enemies dead except for Olujimi and the Demon Ape, the Demon Ape chose to fly away to the south, abandoning Olujimi to his fate. Olujimi, in recognizing his fate, spoke a name I believe to be that of the creature that escaped us that day. Grugonoth. I am quite sure we have not seen the last of him.

I think Max would agree that Olujimi was obviously a great warrior, one worthy of our respect. We thought perhaps his blood would awaken the Spear of Righteous Anger, but alas, even the blood of the mighty Olujimi was not enough to awaken the dormant spear. We kept a few vials of his blood on hand just in case.

We proceeded to explore the rest of this district and in doing so, found ourselves faced with another group of creatures. A group of hairless apes, Kech I believe they are called, attacked us with bow and arrow as we explored a small group of stone buildings. We also spotted what appeared to be a Dragon flying over the western portion of the city. As that is the area closest to our camp, I think it would be best to explore that district next.

Amivor was quite interested in our report when we returned to camp at the end of the day. He suggested that perhaps, in the future, we might try to subdue our enemies to gain information, citing the Charau-Ka witch doctor as an example. Knowing quite well the complications associated with captured spell casters, I was hesitant to agree. Amivor pressed his viewpoint and I conceded to his opinion.

He took the news of a huge, flying, Demonic Ape in stride, saying only that he would inform the scouts to keep an eye out for it and keep us in the loop as to its activities. He also informed us that a recently cleared island was spotted northeast of Olujimi’s compound and that he still has concerns about Charau-Ka patrols in that area. I had hoped the defeat of their leader would lead to disorder in their ranks, but it appears there is a little more work to do in that district if we want the Pathfinders to inspect and research the Spear of Righteous Anger firsthand.

He also told us our Dragon sighting was corroborated by other witnesses. Scouts have also reported crocodile attacks and the presence of Red Mantis Assassins, Aspis Consortium Agents and Agents of the Sargavan Government in the region. Now the real fun begins.

Last edited:

Peteinmaine

First Post
Die Monkey

I kicked that giant monkey's ass! (After something made me run away!)
Hopefully soon...I will be harder to fool with those damn brain spells...I'm practicing! I am tired of having my mind trick my legs into doing stupid things. The best part....we saw a dragon....it didn't look toooo big....I want to fight it...do you think a good dragon would fight me just to see how I do? Anyway...can't wait til tomorrow

Abciximab

Explorer
End of Session 22.​

Yeah, I was running a little later than usual with the update. With the shift to Tuesday games my posts will probably shift from Thursday to Friday, but the holiday here in the states got in the way.

Yes, Max got hit by Fear and spent a round running before Arendel was able to dispel it, but that is hardly worth mentioning (at least in Arendel’s eyes). Curse his Will Save! It was a tough fight, taking up most of the session. Thank goodness we were able to get through the DR.

It looks like we are going to be exploring this city for some time. There’s a lot of ground to cover and I’m not quite clear on how will all work. When is a portion of the city considered thoroughly explored? When does the threat level within each part drop (if ever)? I hope it doesn’t become a war of attrition within each part of the city, with a group of hostiles only accepting defeat after killing wave after wave of them. I expect some areas can be won over with Diplomacy, but so far the few we have met (only one or two tribes, depending on where the Kech came from) have started the conversation with “roll initiative.”

I admit, I am metagaming to some extent. As a player I’m trying to figure out how it all will work mechanically and get some idea as to how long it will take. Of course as a character, you expect to just explore and take things as they come and it takes as long as it takes. But as a player I’m seeing it will take a minimum of 3 months of game time to thoroughly explore the city and gain recognition for its discovery. That will be doubling the amount of time we have spent to get to this point in the AP and that wasn’t played day to day.

Admittedly, I only have the information we have been given (as a player and character) so far, and there may be more to come that we just haven’t learned yet. This seems pretty likely. We’ll see how it goes. I think I can speak for everyone when I say we are still having a lot of fun with it.

One of the stranger things I'm having a hard time accepting is that the characters explorations and discoveries have no impact on the time it takes to explore. The only way to get Discovery Points so far is to make an Exploration Check. You get no discovery points for exploring or any Knowledge checks made by the party. As far as I can tell, we could sit in the camp for 3 months just rolling checks and get the same result as actively exploring (minus the xp we would earn, of course).

Next session should see the return of our Oracle Taraz. It will be great to have a dedicated healer again.

Last edited:

Abciximab

Explorer
Session 23.

Lamashan the 14th.

Amivor has told us that the Pathfinder's research has verified that the district we have been exploring is indeed the Military District. It seems likely that Olujimi’s tribe has been in control of this region for several hundred years. He believes the tribe falls under the realm of the legendary Gorilla King of the Mwangi.

Their research also shows that activation of the Spear of Righteous Anger would grant all combatants within the Military District some type of boon that would enhance their combat skills. The most important thing to note from that is that it seems all combatants get the boon, friend and foe alike.

Amivor also clarified a little about the so called “Dragon Sighting”. Though others saw the figure, there was some debate as to whether the creature was, in fact, a Dragon.

Our friend Taraz has decided to switch places with N’Ketchi. N’Ketchi will become one of the camp healers and assist with the defense of the camp, while Taraz will join our group once more in a direct support role. I noticed our gnomish friend Gelik was assisting the Pathfinders with research. It seems he has been accepted back into the fold. Seeing him was bit of a reminder as to how far we have come since our time on Smugglers Shiv.

We set out that morning to wrap up exploration within the military district, starting with the island Amivor had mentioned. We were able to get out to the island easily enough. The island has obviously seen some significant excavation in the past. It seems, from the size and shape of the excavation and other clues, that this is likely the spot where they unearthed the stone statue of the Demon Monkey Grugonoth. Unless the statue switches back and forth between its flesh and stone states regularly, it must have taken considerable effort to move it to the top of the ziggurat. Of course, as the old Orcish saying goes, “Where there’s a whip, there’s a way.”

We also found a small structure cobbled together from stone common to the island. The interior had fetishes hanging all around, suspended from the ceiling and its supports. Within we found 5 stone vials with magical contents, but we are unsure of their use.

We also found another interesting item. A magical ring that is obviously a relic left over from Saventh-Yhi’s glory days, a Ring of Seven Virtues. A useful item that protects the wearer from temperature extremes and helps one survive within a Jungle environment. It also grants you the boon from a district’s Spear when you are within that district of Saventh-Yhi.

Noting that there was far less activity and noise within the Military district as a whole, we moved on to the north-western district where the (possible) dragon was sighted. Hopefully the Pathfinders will now be able to carry out some direct research within the Military District with minimal risk.

In exploring the new district, we started along the central lake where we found four large warehouses. The first was filled with undead and little else, but just after we exited the building we were attacked by a Chimera with a green dragon head. It attempted an airborne assault, one of the best ways to attack our group. However, Kay’Es’s flight, my ranged spells and Max’s javelins made short work of it. Just because it is the best way to assault our group, doesn’t make it a good idea. We shall have to keep an eye out for its lair.

In the second warehouse we encountered a number of Troglodytes when we entered and more Kech when we went upstairs. We also found a few more stone vials, obviously what the ancient Azlanti in this region used for potion storage. Most were well known potions and elixirs, but one was an Elixir of Spirit Sight, an elixir that allows one to see invisible creatures and strike incorporeal foes. We also found a Black Jade Idol of some long forgotten froglike demon.

The last two warehouses were mostly ruined and unremarkable.

As we approached the shore of the central lake we spotted a small tower. It appears to have once been used as a lighthouse. The lower floors were barren, but on the uppermost floor we encountered some old foes. Five Red Mantis Assassins were waiting for us. As they stood ready with magic and steel, it was a challenging fight, though in the end we did prevail. Unfortunately, the last one standing turned invisible and escaped us.

Within a large stone chest we found a few baubles, some ancient Azlanti coins and yet another Ring of Seven Virtues. As it is getting late we shall now return to camp and speak with Amivor of our discoveries.

Last edited:

Peteinmaine

First Post
Hammer time

This lost city is everything I have ever dreamed of. There are demonic flying monkeys, Enemies who think they will out battle me for fame and fortune, I got to fight a chimera!! It's draconic head will one day travel back to The Mountains up North where I will build my home with some of the riches I find here and fill it with trophies and tales of my exploits, like my Chemositting cloak! One of the pathfinders is going to make me some pretty bad-ass armor made from the melted down metal snakes we fought!! even the armor is like a trophy I can wear and talk about!! I think if we are able to find more treasure I might have the other end of Dad's Hammer enchanted as well, maybe something that thunders, or feezes my enemies...having one end burn and the other freeze would be cool, or maybe electricity....I don't like the idea of acid.....oh well...time to go to bed, there's more stuff to kill tomorrow. Like Red Mantis people....and maybe those ass concert people.....

Remove ads