Arendel’s Serpent's Skull Journal. (Complete! 06/25/13, With Pictures!)

Abciximab

Explorer
End of Session 17.​

Traveling... I’m having flashbacks to our Kingmaker campaign. “You’re traveling, traveling, traveling… Encounter!”

It makes it very hard to discern between random encounters and planned encounters. I know, I know, from a character standpoint it shouldn’t make a difference (Stop Metagaming!), but from my experience (both as DM and now, I fear, as a player) it does. You find yourself wanting to move along and get back to the “heart” of the story/adventure even though parts of what you are blasting through may actually BE part of the storyline. The encounters start to feel like just so much filler.

The possessed ape? Not sure what to make of that. Part of the plot to stop us? Hard to say. Max’s player had to remind me of what the Monkey Head did and suggested its use (then I had to look up Dispel Evil to remind myself how it worked). Max really did call “Dibs” on the Monkey Head when we found it (once it was used of course), so I figured that’s why Max (as a character) remembered its use.

Thank goodness for AoE vs Swarm. They can be almost impossible to defeat otherwise. I don’t know why the Candiru Fish leapt into our… minds, but once it was there… Well, let’s just say it was good for a few puerile laughs.

The Eloko work much like Spriggans apparently, small one moment, large the next. The bells effect was a weird addition to the encounter. I don’t recall if I checked to see if it was magical.

Next Session I expect we will see more travel, a possible new addition to the party and hopefully we will find Tazion and whatever secrets we might need to find Saventh-Yhi. I think I have to double check with the DM, because I feel like we are looking for a lost city (Tazion) to find a lost city (Saventh-Yhi). Really?

A Reminder From Yarzoth’s Journal ~

But the location of Saventh-Yhi is frustrated (sic). There is a secret, though, known to the Zurists that may benefit me as well. There is another settlement located at the southernmost tip of the Mwangi Expanse, south of the Bandu Hills and sitting between the Ocota and the Korir rivers. This place is called “Tazion” by the cultists and is said to hold the key to Saventh-Yhi’s location in the Pillars of Light. The cult planned to re-enter the city using Tazion, yet the details are left out. Though the map is ancient, I believe once I procure passage off the Shiv and proceed through Eleder into the expanse undetected, I will be one step closer to His glory.

Peteinmaine

First Post
Max's observations

We continue to travel through the jungle...there are monkeys EVERYWHERE!!!!! I got roughed up pretty hard by a HUGE tiger, it was a great fight, I remember now why I travel with friends....Also I can't hit a fracking thing in the middle of the night with my hammer....frustrating....we have fought all manner of ape, even a big possessed monkey...but I GOT my shrunken monkey head!!!!! while it is challenging to test my mettle against the jungle monsters....I'm hoping to reach the ancient cityies soon for a chance at some real loot and challenges that I'm ready for. I HATE being woken up in the middle of the night.....it is SO disorienting.....

Abciximab

Explorer
Session 18.

Rova the 24th (Cont).

Later in the day we encountered a Tyrannosaurus Rex fighting two Triceratopses. The Triceratopses were attempting to defend their nests from the T-Rex. We killed the T-Rex just after it killed one of the Triceratops. We then had to kill the last angry Triceratops as well. Figuring the eggs might be of interest, we marked the nests for the Pathfinders.

----------​

Rova the 25th through the 28th.

We travelled with very little to report.

----------​

Rova the 29th.

We have entered the plains along the Korir River. We encountered four native women swimming in the river. They invited us to their large hut nearby. I found it a little odd, four women living alone in a hut in the wilderness. N’Ketchi was of little help in resolving my concerns. He seemed to have very little to say on the matter. They told us their names were Alala, Masozi, Zakiyya and Osumare.

They offered us food and asked us if we would like them to awaken our Animal Spirit Guides. I thought N’Ketchi had already accomplished this, but apparently this was slightly different. My suspicions grew as I noted some of the girls behaved in an odd manner toward Zakiyya. My suspicions were confirmed when Zakiyya tried to influence my behavior with magic. Believing perhaps the other three women were charmed in some way, I dispelled any magic that might be affecting Osumare. With that, a grand melee commenced as Zakiyya revealed herself to be a Succubus! She caused much dissention in the ranks by charming Max (We really must find a way to reinforce his will). True, Osumare joined the fight on our side, but it was hardly a fair trade by any stretch of the imagination.

I attempted to ward Max from evil to allow him to throw off Zakiyya’s control over him but her magic was too strong. To make matters worse, Ace was then charmed by one of the other women as well. Now it was me, Kay’Es and Osumare against, well… everyone. I immediately started to buff myself because I knew we were in over our heads at that point.

Once I was prepared, I went on the offensive. I was pretty sure Zakiyya was immune to fire, so I opened with Magic Missile. As she started to cast, I hit her with all four of them, disrupting her concentration. Casting Fly, I then rose into the air to get out of Max’s reach (For once, I was thrilled he does not excel at ranged combat) and blasted her again with four more missiles. At that point, it would appear she had had enough and disappeared from sight. Osumare had outlined her in Fairie Fire so we knew she was not invisible. She must have teleported away. We shall have to be cautious in case the she should decide to return.

The situation resolved as her influence over our allies and the other three women ebbed. Come to find out, N’Ketchi had been ensorcelled early on. Perhaps that was why he had little to say on the odd behavior of these women.

The women then offered us a place to stay for the night and then performed the ceremony to awaken each of our Spirit Animals. It involved receiving a small tattoo, a part of the ceremony I initially balked at. Though I finally capitulated, I made sure it was in a place that would not be easily seen, as I would not want to shock my mother too greatly (Though the cat will be out of the bag, as they say, since I expect to share this journal with her someday). My tattoo is of a small stylized rhinoceros on the back of my right shoulder. They tell us our Animal Guides will help us from time to time when we are in great need.

We spent the night with the women. We slept in the hut. The rest of the night was uneventful.

----------​

Rova the 30th through Lamashan the 6th.

Our travels continue.

----------​

Lamashan the 7th

We have finally reached Tazion! Our goal is to figure out what the Pillars of Light are and figure out how they might hold the secret to finding Saventh-Yhi.

My first impression of Tazion and its ruined walls leads me to believe it was once an outpost or perhaps a small village. It is too small to have been a city. As we approached from the east we noted numerous bubbling tar pits and dense vegetation including a number of Baobab trees. The jungle has been working hard to reclaim the ruins. I have sketched a small map.

We noted a single curl of smoke from somewhere near the center of the ruin. We sent Max out on point about one hundred feet ahead. I used magic to communicate with him in whispers. We approached an area of the wall that had collapsed along the northern edge of the ruin.

As Max stepped through the hole he was caught up in a net that left him swinging about ten feet off the ground. He indicated that he was all right and motioned for us to approach as he disentangled himself and dropped to the ground.

Within the wall, a small stone building stood a short distance from us. Upon investigation we noted interior stairs descended to the floor below. We heard the hissing of many snakes, how many we could not be sure. Max reminded us our first priority should be to find out if any of our competitors have beaten us here and encouraged us to move quickly and stealthily to investigate the source of the smoke. We moved into the jungle vegetation along the interior north edge of the wall while quietly discussing possible strategies.

There we encountered the Charau-Ka. We have been warned about these creatures by N’Ketchi and others. Four of the strange ape-like creatures attacked us. I believe we silenced them before they could raise the alarm.

The structure we are scouting to our south-west has a set of stairs, shattered by the roots of a baobab tree, leading into the shattered remains of three conical cylinders. The smoke rises from the western side of the building. Due north of our position, we see a multistory stone building. To the west we see a low stone structure similar to the one we saw upon entering Tazion. To the south, there is a ring of boulders around what appears to be a sinkhole or cave mouth. I must return my focus to my companions now as we need to plan our assault.

Attachments

• tribal-rhino.jpg
    tribal-rhino.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:

Abciximab

Explorer
End of Session 18.​

The 3 PCs are as follows:

Arendel Whisperson – Human Fire Elemental Wizard 7 (Abciximab)
Max “Little” Hammer – Human Fighter/Rogue 4/3 (Peteinmaine)
Acemodius and Kay Es – Tiefling Summoner 6 and his Eidolon. (Mundinironhand)
N’Ketchi – Human Cleric 6 (NPC)

Thank you RedTonic, I certainly will!

Dinosaurs Fighting! It’s like we're caught in the middle of a B movie! Yes, I did have to look up the plural of Triceratops and since I got the answer from the Internet, there’s a 78% chance I’m still wrong.

I’m pretty sure I’ve said this before… We definitely need to buff our Fighters Will Save. Of course, I was the one stupid enough to burn my only Dispel Magic on a wimpy NPC. I really need more 3rd level spells.

I’m not sure if it’s coming through in the journal, but Arendel is… well let’s just go with “Naive”. The (primarily male) gamers around our table have always had characters with a bit of a “Frat Boy” mentality about women, so I decided early on that Arendel would actually be a bit intimidated by women. Having been raised by a strong woman he learned early on to respect the opposite sex, but he lacks experience in interacting with women and tends to come off as a bit awkward.

Along those lines, I’ve decided Arendel has a thing for Athyra (the young woman we met at the mine), but really has no clue how to proceed. It would seem we have lost track of her however, so the issue may have resolved itself.

He’s also getting a bit paranoid about people who offer him things. Food, tattoos… food… I’ve got to start memorizing detect poison. He finally did accept a simple rhino tattoo to mark his connection with his Spirit Animal, but it took some convincing.

Tazion at Last! It’s nice to have some “Location Adventuring” again. Now we just have to work on eliminating the competition. It does mean we’ll have to be more careful about managing our resources though. No more “Haste” in every combat. I think that’s actually one of the things I don’t like about travel. Too many encounters and it bogs down, but when you only have 1 or 2, you get to “Go Nova” and mop the floor with them. It’s a tough balance. I think GM Soanso managed to keep it interesting without going overboard.

We should have a new addition to the party next time. Our once packed game room (6 players and a GM) has shrunk over the last year to 3 (even as low 2) + a GM, so our recruiting campaign has started.

Last edited:

Abciximab

Explorer
Session 19.​

Lamashan the 7th (Cont).

Our busy day continues. As we observed the stone structure about one hundred and fifty feet south west of us, we heard a cacophonous ruckus in the jungle on the opposite side of the structure. We observed the location for some time, but nothing more came of it.

We approached the round stone structure carefully, keeping about fifty feet between ourselves and Max, who was on point. We noted nothing out of the ordinary as we approached. The smoke still rose unchecked from the western portion of the structure. When Max reached the roots of the Baobab and the wrecked stairs he signaled for us to stop. He had spotted a stone deadfall over the stairs. Working swiftly and quietly, he quickly disabled the trap then signaled for us to approach.

As I got closer to the high walled structure, I realized the building had many features common to ancient Azlanti construction. Innumerable petroglyphs covered most of the the walls, their meanings lost to time.

The interior of the stone structure was open to the sky. We saw a network of bridges over tar pits and a bas-relief along one wall representing a beheaded serpent. I recognized its relevance immediately, Ydersius, lost god of the Serpent-Folk.

When I pointed out a gemstone glinting in the eye of the severed head of Ydersius, Max went over to investigate. Within a stone coffer nearby, he found gold filigree, uncut stones and other treasure that was obviously scavenged from the ruins of Tazion. The moonstone gem within the eye of Ydersius proved to be magical, though I could not immediately establish its use. We pried it from its base and tucked it away.

Within the coffer I also found two golden lions. I was quite excited when I verified that these two small gold statuettes were indeed Figurines of Wondrous Power and would transform into actual lions for up to one hour per day, a very interesting and useful find.

We continued on, across the bridges to another chamber. Within, we encountered more of the Charau-Ka, including one in elaborate snakeskin armor. They had three prisoners, wrapped like flies in a spider’s web and hung over a fire. Another prisoner was tied up in a corner of the room. As combat commenced a large snake joined the fray and attacked the unarmed prisoner who had just wiggled free of his bonds.

Max was frozen in his tracks for only a moment by some magic from the leader in the snakeskin armor, but his trance was broken as he was mobbed by the other Charau-Ka.

With steel and magic we forced our way into the room, Max and Kay’Es going for the leader, while Ace and I dealt with the others. Ace tried to help the lone prisoner by creating a magical pit beneath the snake, but the slick edges caught the prisoner as well and they both tumbled in. I’m beginning to see a troublesome pattern with that particular spell. When Ace cancelled his spell, causing the floor of the pit to rise up to our level once more, I tried to make my way over to the unarmed prisoner to offer him my dagger for use against the snake. Unfortunately, I underestimated the reach of the serpent and was caught within its coils. It was quickly crushing the life out of me, but I wasn’t too worried. I knew I could probably use magic to escape on my own, but then I noticed Max had finished off the leader and was turning his focus upon the serpent. I knew at that moment my magic would be unnecessary as the snake’s timely (for me anyway) demise was at hand.

Once combat had ended we set the prisoners free. N’Ketchi recognized them as members of a local tribe. Three chose to return to their tribe, but the fourth chose to join our quest. We are hesitant to share our mission with outsiders, but if he seems trustworthy I will fill him in on the details when we rest. As it stands, we are still very much in fighting form and ready for our next challenge. He says his name is Blayn and is a skilled woodsman and archer.

Other than an odd statue of an elephant, there was little else of note in this area. The room was obviously used for ritual sacrifice to the god Ydersius. I realize the Charau-Ka are known demon worshipers, but I find it strange that they revere Ydersius, the serpent god.

After considering our next step for a bit, it was decided we would approach the three tiered ziggurat to the north, as that seemed to be the place where we would most likely find the “Pillars of Light”. We went up the stairs of the ziggurat to the second level and found the floor within caked in mud and vines. It would seem the jungle is working hard to reclaim even the interior of the structures of Tazion.

As we entered we were attacked by large wasps. They were quickly defeated and their large nest was found. Another wasp, probably the queen, attacked as I set the hive ablaze. She was soon defeated as well and we found nothing of interest within the ruined hive.

We exited the main hall through doors in the back of the room. They opened to stairs going down to a small chamber. Within the chamber were four small alcoves with odd little statues hovering within them. As I tried to ascertain what purpose they might serve, we all felt a wave of hostile magic wash over us and the little statues floated out of their alcoves. We leapt into action, beating the diminutive statues to the ground.

As they fell, they each projected a light showing different scenes. It was as if a memory had been trapped within each statue and had now been set free. The details are a little fuzzy, but I’m sure they referenced the Pillars of Light, showing their activation using four gemstones. I recognized one of the stones as the magical moonstone we had found earlier. Hopefully the remaining stones are still within the boundaries of Tazion. On with our search.

Last edited:

Peteinmaine

First Post
Finally

In some ruins!! While sneaking around at first was a little tedious we finally found where they hid all the action!! There were some Burritos made from natives, and a guy with a bow. Then some giant wasps, and some floating decorations. I feel like I forgot something...I think we got a miller light....pillow fight?....something like that..

dungeon brawl gaming Follow me! It's good stuff!!

Abciximab

Explorer
End of Session 19.​

Yeah Cromm10k, I usually follow JD Story Hours, but I’ve been staying out of the new one to avoid spoilers. I did get the impression (from the pregame info) that they are running the Evil Route for the party. Some of his players seem to have a pretty big preference in playing style (They looove the Eeevil :)) for the most part and they seem to have a lot of fun with it. I will be reading it sometime down the road, to be sure.

The 4 PCs are as Follows:

Arendel Whisperson – Human Fire Elemental Wizard 7 (Abciximab)
Max “Little” Hammer – Human Fighter/Rogue 4/3 (Peteinmaine)
Acemodius and Kay Es – Tiefling Summoner 6 and his Eidolon. (Mundinironhand)
Blayn – Human Ranger 6 (David)
N’Ketchi – Human Cleric 6 (NPC)

Our new player has joined in, playing a Mwangi Ranger/Archer Build. I felt bad, the poor guy sat through the 1st hour of the game waiting or weaponless. When I ran up to give him a weapon to get him in on the action (After he had already been dumped into a pit with a large, hostile snake by his new allies. Welcome to the Party!), I forgot the snake had reach and nearly paid for it with Arendel’s life (From 41 HP to 12 HP in 1 round). Luckily things smoothed out once we defeated the bad guys and got him his gear. He took it all in stride though and it looks like he’ll be a good addition to the group.

The little statues were strange. But they did tell us how to activate the Pillars of Light (Wherever they may be). We just need to find the other three gems and the pillars.

Abciximab

Explorer
Session 20.​

Lamashan the 7th (Cont).

Our continuing exploration of this site has revealed some type of plant creature (a Basidirond, I believe) in a courtyard, three Mithral Cobras in a room decorated to look like the night sky and a patch of yellow mold in a room decorated to honor the sun. All have been dealt with. We also found a column showing the genealogy and migration routes of the ancient Azlanti mixed in with Tekritanin runes. We are not sure what to make of the ancient Azlanti’s interior decorating scheme.

Going up to the next level of the Ziggurat we found a round room with four columns. The ceiling of the chamber was painted to look like the night sky. The constellations displayed on the ceiling appeared as they would have perhaps ten-thousand years ago. One of the columns was placed at the head of the room, while the other three were in a triangle formation at the foot. In each was a small indentation where a gemstone might be inserted. In the middle of the floor was a strange circular grid. We were not sure what to make of it. Only the columns detect as magical. We knew we had finally located the Pillars of Light. Now, to find those gemstones.

In the next room over, there were four of the Ydersius worshipping Charau-Ka. As they all charged Max, he swung his meteor hammer in a great arc striking each of them. One right after the other, they were struck dead with a single blow. It was quite an impressive (and on some level, terrible) feat to have witnessed. The rest of us never even had the opportunity to react.

On the top floor of the ziggurat we encountered another Charau-Ka, a four-armed ape and a Serpent-Folk wizard that was crawling on the ceiling like a spider. Knowing we were up against the most difficult challenge we had yet to face within the walls of Tazion, I cast Haste upon myself and my allies. Ace and Kay’Es confronted the ape and his Charau-Ka handler while Max and I chased after the Serpent-Folk, who quickly skittered across the ceiling to another room. The Serpent-folk threatened us and referred to himself as Issilar. He obviously had some magical protections up as he was quite tough to hit and also very resistant to magic. I decided it was best to let Max handle him.

Since Issilar was still climbing across the high ceilings, I cast Fly upon Max so he could reach our enemy. It was a tough fight. Luckily Ace and Kay’Es handled the other creatures with little trouble. By the time they joined in our fight against Issilar, the Serpent-folk was quite bloodied. With all our resources brought to bear against a single target, he didn’t last much longer.

Checking our fallen enemies we found a few useful baubles, but most importantly, on Issilar we found the other three Gems we needed to activate the Pillars of Light! Within a hallow wall space we also found a magical longsword. Considerably less interesting as none of us uses a sword.

Working quickly, as we knew the ritual had to be done in daylight (thanks to the images projected by the little idols), we set the gemstones into the appropriate pillars. Multihued beams of light shot from the three gemstones set in the columns at the base of the room. The beams lanced into the fourth gem in the lone pillar. Above the circular grid on the floor, a three dimensional overhead view of the Mwangi expanse appeared and a beam of light from the fourth column pinpointed a spot in the Southern Mwangi. Using my knowledge of the Mwangi region, I was able to figure out exactly where it was in relation to our current position. We finally knew the exact location of Saventh-Yhi! With most of our resources spent, we decided it was a good time to break for the day. We’ve had a very busy day, but it has been quite productive.

----------​

Lamashan the 8th.

Leaving coded markers for our Pathfinder allies, we thought it best to move on as quickly as possible. According to my calculations, Saventh-Yhi is only a couple of days away. Making sure to bring the four gemstones with us, we quickly left the ruins of Tazion behind and entered the jungle of the Mwangi Expanse. On to Saventh-Yhi!

----------​

Lamashan the 9th.

Our journey so far has been uneventful. I can hardly believe that we could finally reach the ruins of the lost city of Saventh-Yhi as early as tomorrow morning.

----------​

Lamashan the 10th.

At long last we have reached our goal. We spent most of the day setting up camp at the edge of the ruin at a site where water was close at hand. It was hard to find the right mix of security and resources, but Max’s Shoanti survival skills came in handy. Once he found an appropriate location, he directed us in establishing a camp. We worked efficiently under his guidance and by the end of the day had a reasonably secure camp where the Pathfinder caravan might settle in as we explore the ruin. Perhaps all of our practice on the Shiv has paid off. Hopefully it will prove to be a good base of operations.

It’s hard to be sure, but I think we are the first to reach the lost city. We know of at least three groups that were trying to stop us and perhaps steal this moment from us, the Sargavan Government, the Red Mantis Assassins and, our most hated enemy, the Aspis Consortium. There may be some level of cooperation between these three. It is hard to be sure of what is going on behind our backs. It’s possible there are only two groups and one (or both) of them hired the Red Mantis to stop us. In any event, we must try to secure this site as best we can and be on the lookout for our enemies. It is possible other explorers have found this ruin in the past (it is so large, it is hard to believe it has remained undiscovered), but apparently none have ever left the ruin to share the secrets of Saventh-Yhi.

We must now discuss our next step.

Last edited:

Peteinmaine

First Post
Max

Tazion was pretty boring all in all. Lots of Tar, we fought a bunch of monkey and a snake guy. We found a Ranger with an amazing ability to hide, I don't think I saw him at all after finding the little flying statues.

I was impressed with Ace today...while his pits aren't my idea of what combat means, I fell in one and it hurt, and the gorilla fell in one over and over again. I'm pretty sure Ace and Kayess killed the big monkey alone.

I'm getting really good at keeping Dad's Hammer moving. He always used to show me if I kept it spinning and timed it right I could take down my foes as they closed in on me, even several at once.

Max's player also DMs a Dungeon Brawl arena game....He blogs about it here.... dungeon brawl gaming

Remove ads