Arendel’s Serpent's Skull Journal. (Complete! 06/25/13, With Pictures!)

Abciximab

Explorer
Session 12.​

Arodus the 20th(Cont).

We met with the Pathfinders once again in the evening to formalize our agreement. Amivor tells us that the Pathfinder caravan will follow, two to three days behind us. They will have a runner to send information back and forth. They gave us some funds to purchase equipment and materials and gave each of us a Wayfinder (A bit of a surprise that last one), basically a magical compass. They also showed us how to construct the cairns and other trail markers specific to Pathfinders. He told us to meet with Klaus, the warehouse concierge, at a Pathfinder warehouse in town. Once that was done, we should plan a trip to meet N’Ketchi, the hermit cleric of Gozreh who we hope will be our guide. He mentioned the trip to N’Ketchi’s home might take a few days.

When we arrived back at the inn, Chumba informed us that she was leaving our group. She needs some time to wrap up some personal matters in the region and cannot accompany us on our journey. Her presence will be missed (and not just by Max). We would not have survived the Shiv without her.

----------​

Arodus the 21st.

Quite an eventful day, I must say. We spent the morning shopping, that part was uneventful. Then, when we proceeded to the Pathfinder warehouse to meet with Klaus, a mob ran by screaming something about the Freeman Guild, a group that fights against slavery and the occupation of the region by those who are not natives. As the last of the crowd ran by, we were almost immediately set upon by a pack of wild dogs! An odd encounter in the middle of a city, but we dealt with them quickly in any event. While we were wrapping up, we noticed smoke from the area we believed to be our destination.

Sure enough, the warehouse was being attacked by hooligans throwing flaming oil. We dealt with them quickly as well and even managed to capture one. There was no sign of Klaus. We then received word that our friend Ishirou had been captured and was being threatened by the leader of the Freeman, Umagro. We would find them at the South Arcadian Whaling Company.

We rushed up to the walled compound only to be confronted by more of the Freemen. Umagro was on the roof about thirty feet up shouting propaganda and holding a kukri to Ishirou’s throat. We stormed the place en-masse.

We were met with club and bow. We moved into the compound as quickly as we could. As Taraz and Max dealt with the bulk of our opponents, Ace and I set about trying to rescue Ishirou. I turned myself invisible as Ace harried Umagro with summoned eagles. Then, Umagro slit Ishirou’s throat and sent him rolling toward the edge of the roof. Ace summoned an Air Elemental that slowed Ishirou descent down the roof as I quickly and quietly climbed the ladder. Once at the top, I was able to stop Ishirou’s fall completely and even revive him with a potion. Luckily Umagro was too busy ranting to notice.

I buffed myself a little more, using a wand to summon multiple mirror images of myself and created a magical shield for added protection. I then revealed myself by hitting him with a ray that drained some of his strength. Now that I was visible, he immediately raged and responded with a flurry of slashes that eliminated most of my images. Luckily I am well trained in casting while threatened and was able to respond with magical fire, over and over again. As his blade slashed through the throat of my last image, I stepped away and seared him once more with my last ray of fire. Indeed, the last of all my spells except for my cantrips, none of which were offensive in nature (unless he was undead). At this point I was considering jumping off of the roof, but then I saw Max arrive at the top of the ladder. Max and Taraz had finally defeated the many opponents down below. He swiftly came up behind our foe and struck him down as Ace caught the last Freeman in the courtyard below within a summoned pit. He became our second prisoner.

As combat finally ended, the crowd that had formed below cheered our victory. Once again our teamwork had pulled us through a difficult situation and had even made it possible for us to save the life of Ishirou. It still really amazes me how effective we can be as a team.

Checking our enemies gear, we did find an interesting item. Off of Umagro, we found a gold medallion with the mark of the Aspis Consortium engraved upon it. We all looked suspiciously at Ishirou, but he explained they had double crossed him for his failure to bring his masters more information about us and our goals. I want to believe him.

Perhaps one of our two prisoners can shed some light on what this is all about.

Abciximab

Explorer
I want to believe him.

Great stuff! :)

Yeah, Arendel likes Ishirou. He was good to us on the Shiv, generous to a fault with the treasure from his map. When we found out he was in trouble we were all eager to rescue him (If it had been Gelick, we might have had to think about it).

When we found the medallion, OOC I said, "What?! We kick the <expletive> off the roof!”

Then I remembered this was Arendel, who wants to believe in the inherent good in people (as we will see in a follow up). Given the evidence (and their willingness try and kill Ishirou), he accepted the explanation.

Peteinmaine

First Post
Fires

Wow what a day! My hammer is still being worked on. (I think it's good that a dwarf is working on it they make the best weapons.) Having my hammer grow with me makes it's adventures my adventures. Some people were running from dogs, I really didn't want to hurt dogs, but they were ill with the anger.

We had to beat some people up to keep a warehouse from burning down, I guess some of the stuff in it is ours. Then we saw someone trying to kill the funny named guy from the island, on the roof of a building. What :):):):):):):) goes up a ladder to get killed? Our friend was dumbm. (I always forget if the b is before or after...shhhh) I had to climb up a ladder to kill the guy with the knives....He too called me Varisian, I'm Shoanti...I don't get it...Chuimba was Varisian, she told me she was living off carpet? Oh well I'd rather adventure it pays better! I had to punch people today....the little knife was taking too long, I want my hammer back. I bought a dog to help carry my ever growing backpack, The dog doesn't like to drink nearly as much as Ace's donkey, but we hung out for a little....

-Max

Abciximab

Explorer
Interlude
~Interrogation~​

The sun slides through the slats of the shutters of the warehouse windows. It is hot, and the five figures stand over their bound captives. Kay’Es, looking like some kind of unearthly demon, licks his lips. His diabolic eyes flickering in the dim light. Both prisoners are tied to chairs and have been conscious for about an hour.

Arendel points with his thumb over his shoulder to Max, who is standing silently behind him, towering over Arendel by at least a foot. "See this guy? This is my friend Max. He likes to do things the hard way. Me? I prefer the easy way. The easy way of course is you answer my questions quickly and honestly and you go on your merry way. The hard way? That's when I try to stop Max from breaking all the bones in your body from your toes to your head, in that order. And then he just get's mean..."

The bound captives are silent.

"Are bones the things that crunch when I twist?” asks Max. “Sorry I'll wait for you do be done talking to the guy I knocked out... I always wondered why people had twigs in them, but could still be quiet in the forest."

Sitting off to the side, Ace and Kay’Es watch. Sharing a glance with Kay'Es, and perhaps some telepathic communication, Ace smiles wickedly as the eidolon begins slinking about staring at the prisoner. He licks his lips. Kay'Es looks at Arendel, and asks, "After max finishes with them, can I eat what's left?"

Arendel speaks to the prisoners once more, “Who are you and who are you working for? What did you expect to accomplish by all this?

The prisoner on the right is the first to speak.

"My name is Pilar. I am the son of Phila and Drestus, and my people have hunted the M'neri Plains since before the invasion of the Pale Ones. I was taken into slavery by a Bekyar slaving squad when I was ten years old. They slaughtered my parents in front of me.

"I worked the salt mines with Umagro outside Kalabuto. During a siege of the city by the Mzali, Umagro led a revolt; we fled to Eleder, where we joined the Freeman Brotherhood. Umagro found it too passive, and when the last leader died about two months ago, he took over. He was right! You Pales can only leave the Mwangi upon a barge of your own bones, floating upon a river of your own blood!" He spits at the floor in front of Arendel.

Arendel just shakes his head, “If your group hadn't resorted to violence, your fellow Freemen would still be alive. We didn't come here to kill or enslave you. We, in fact, sympathize with your plight. Your action have only shown those that hate you they are right to do so and also have alienated those who might help you.”

Arendel pulls out the medallion bearing the symbol of the Aspis Consortium. “What do you know of this symbol? It was on your leader. Was Umagro working for someone else? I think your leader was taking money from a group that wishes to do nothing but ravage these lands and use your people as slaves and he was using you and your brothers to do their dirty work.”

The prisoner in the chair to the left raises his head. "Friend? Umagro, like brother Pilar here, is no friend but an upstart, a hothead too impatient to learn how the world works. He paid his dues in blood and sweat, but not yet in words or deeds.

“I am Vardamann, and my ancestry is moot. I knew the last Fallen Brother well, and his spirit writhes with the machinations of Umagro and his ilk. Pilar speaks the truth, though his loyalty to our fallen brother is but a cataract upon his judgment.

“Men wearing cloaks clasped with the same symbol, a serpent upon a shield, visited our encampment two days ago. They met with Umagro. He then gathered us and declared war upon Eleder. We were ordered to release his wild dogs upon the Warehouse District, and then to set fire to several specific buildings. It was his grand scheme, not mine.

“I have no faith in you, foreigners. My loyalty lies with my brothers and sisters still in chains. Kill me if you must, but to do so will betray the spirit of freedom."

Arendel smiles grimly, “I expect you have met many more foreigners that have given you reason to distrust them than the other way around. Vardamann, what would you do if we released you? And Pilar... whatever are we to do with you? Vardamann, you seem displeased with the direction the Freemen have taken, is there any way we can help get them back on the right path? Do you think you can guide your lost brother Pilar back onto the just path?”

Vardamann gives a derisive laugh, "You would find only a fool before you if I were to tell you of my next move. If I leave here, I will melt into the crowd, into the earth and stones, the air, wind, water and stars. The Brotherhood is everywhere, and nowhere. We exist to end slavery; that is all I can tell you. Umagro was his own man, his own type of leader. He sought no counsel from me, or any others.

“I am wise enough to ask for my release, and also humble enough to accept it. But not naive enough to tell you what is next to secure that. You speak of travel, Northerner, of paths? I will tell you that my path is one of peace, but also one of resistance. I will tell you, too, that I will take young Pilar with me; though if he steals away from me in the night, he is neither my ward nor worry."

"I am indeed not your ward old man,” answers Pilar softly. “But I swore to my mother and father that I would uphold the sacred traditions. Perhaps I put my hope in a false prophet. Perhaps I need more time along these paths you speak of. Mine has been a short, violent life. To watch you, Vardamann, not strike to kill these slavers but to speak as equals, I must admit I admire that reserve."

Arendel and the others move away from the prisoners to a point where their words won’t be overheard, but they can still keep an eye on them.

“So what do you think?” Arendel asks. “Even if they were not wanted as escaped slaves, their actions have surely made them fugitives now. I find killing them at this point distasteful and would very likely be considered murder within the bounds of Eleder. Our other choices are to turn them over to authorities, or let them go. I suspect letting them go would also be viewed as a crime by local authorities, probably aiding and abetting or some such.

“I believe in what they stand for, though I disagree with their current methods. It sounds to me as though this is a recent change in methodology and related to interference by the Aspis Consortium. Given the circumstances and even though it may technically be a crime, I vote to let them go. What say you?”

Ace is the first to speak, “I agree. And you never know, we may find ourselves in a position where we might need a friend in the Freeman Brotherhood.” Kay’Es remains silent, though he looks a little disappointed. He still hasn’t figured out that the threat of allowing him to eat the prisoners was just a bluff.

Abciximab

Explorer
End of Session 12.​

This session was a lot more action packed then the last one. The whole session was basically one long encounter.

Once again it was Team Work FTW. Over the course of the encounter (2 encounters really, but one led right into the other) everyone did what they do best and did it very effectively. With a little creativity (and a DM willing to accept creative solutions), we were able to save Ishirou and defeat the Freemen. Ace harassed our enemies and stopped Ishirou’s fall with summoned creatures, Max held our enemies at bay and struck them down, Taraz kept everyone (especially Max) on their feet and Arendel used every spell in his repertoire, plus a couple of wands, to grab Ishirou, heal him up (potion) and then stand toe to toe with a raging Umagro.

He went through all my Mirror Images very quickly (2 rounds, raging with two weapons!) but my AC was buffed pretty high at that point (22) and the attacks that targeted me missed. He almost landed a Crit, but it took out my last image instead. I was able to give Max one round with a flank (Arendel doesn’t usually have a weapon in hand) but then stepped away to cast his last spell. Luckily, it was enough to get him down to where Max could drop him on his next hit.

The interrogation took place by e-mail so there are many contributing authors for the interlude. It was really just cut and paste with a little editing to get a story out of it. We hit 5th Level at the end. I think Max will appreciate Arendel’s 3rd level spell selection.

Abciximab

Explorer
Session 13.​

Arodus the 21st (Cont).

Questioning our prisoners led us to believe the Freemen have been manipulated by the Aspis Consortium. Given the circumstances, we thought it best to let our prisoners go without repercussion.

We did some last minute shopping for scrolls and other small items and retired for the night.

----------​

Arodus the 22nd.

We finally picked up Max’s hammer from the Dwarven smiths. Thankfully, they did a wonderful job and Max is quite happy. We then rented a boat to go down the coast to find our prospective guide N’Ketchi. The owner of the boat knew of N’Ketchi, and called him the “Tempest” because of his manner. The Captain of the small boat also told us how to best contact N’Ketchi. There would be a conch shell at the bottom of the path that would lead up to his residence. We made sure to pay the Captain a little extra.

We arrived at a rocky beach and sounded a call on the conch shell to signal our arrival. Peering down over the edge of the cliff, N’Ketchi lived up to his moniker. When I told him of our plans and our need for a guide, he questioned our intentions and asked us how the journey would serve Gozreh. After much discussion, he offered to test us. There were two tests, one of wind and one of water. He asked which we would perform first while steadfastly refusing to explain what each might entail. We chose air as our first test.

N’Ketchi told us we must journey to a cliff where a Stormbird nests and get a feather from the bird. I have heard of these birds before. They are intelligent birds and are, of course, quite protective of their roosting grounds. On the way, we agreed we would try to perform this task without killing the bird if possible. A storm blew in as we arrived at the site.

The climb up to the bird’s aerie looked quite difficult and was about 200 feet up. I offered to Levitate Max up to the nest. Given the height, he would have about three minutes of searching before we reached a point where he would have to return if he didn’t want to have to climb down without magical assistance. Luckily it only took two. Max arrived at the bottom just as the great bird arrived back at the nest, she seemed not to take notice of us. We were thrilled with the outcome. One test down and nothing had to die.

On our way back to N’Ketchi, we ran into some locals. They challenged us and asked us our business. When we told them of our mission for N’Ketchi, they seemed to calm a little, but still insisted on testing us. Trial by combat it would seem. One of their tribe would wrestle one of our party. I was a little surprised by this, since Max was standing right next to me when the challenge was made and they must have seen him. Their warrior obviously enjoys a challenge. Max quickly pinned his opponent, proving our worth and integrity in their eyes and, after a few shared pleasantries, we were on our way once again.

N’Ketchi accepted our token and gave us our next challenge. Go to a nearby pearl diving village and return with a rare black pearl. We rested for the night.

----------​

Arodus the 23rd.

The Natives of the village were surprisingly friendly and helpful. They told us where to dive, traded with Max for some equipment to help with the dive and even rowed us out to where the pearls could be found. I think I am becoming a little cynical, as all this friendliness made me a little nervous. My suspicions proved to be completely unfounded.

The best swimmers were chosen for the job, Max and Kay’Es. After several uneventful dives we noticed Max swimming off, away from the boat. I encouraged the boat owner to keep pace with him as it seemed rather unusual behavior. Sure enough a beautiful elf-like woman appeared below the water. A Kelpie had him in her thrall (Probably not too hard for a beautiful woman to enthrall Max). We leapt into action and into the water as it were. I knew there was a potion of Water Breathing in Max’s backpack (as I had Placed it there myself) and his pack just happened to be sitting there in the boat. We each took a swig and jumped in to save Max.

Water is truly my opposition element. I am a terrible swimmer and have never felt comfortable immersed within it. I swear that someday I shall overcome this discomfort and embrace this element, but today was not that day unfortunately. Swimming in the strong currents of the open sea proved to be at least as difficult as I had imagined and I made little progress toward Max. Even given the challenging circumstances, our skills won out. The Kelpie was defeated and Max was rescued and the best part was, the oyster that Max still held in his hand contained a Black Pearl. We celebrated with the locals over a meal of oysters and then returned to N’Ketchi.

He seemed pleased and invited us to the back of his shanty where incense burned. He asked us to sit in a circle and offered us each a small root to chew. We accepted as he started to chant and perform some type of ceremony.

In moments we entered what I assume was a dream state. I looked around the circle. N’Ketchi had turned into a crab, Max was a crocodile, Ace was a Spider, Taraz a Buffalo and I, judging from the horn on my nose, was a Rhinoceros. The walls of his hut faded and soon we were soaring through the air, racing over the Mwangi Expanse. Our journey slowed and we found ourselves looking down upon an ancient city, bustling with activity. The lost city of Saventh-Yhi.

Below us we saw beautiful stone buildings and ziggurats with obelisks on top. Then, the clouds grew dark and the city was lost to our sight for a moment. When we could see it once again, it had changed significantly. There was very little activity. The layout of the city had changed as if the land itself had shifted, raising some portions of the city and dropping others. Then, a serpent appeared before us. Some aspect of it reminded us of the Serpent-Folk Yarzoth that we had defeated in the temple on the Shiv. It lashed out at N’Ketchi and we struck back. As my horn slashed into the neck of the serpent, its head was separated from its body. As I watched its head fall to the ground, I had a… revelation. I knew that it was symbolic in some way, representative of the death of the Serpent God Ydersius.

We awoke to find ourselves back in N’Ketchi’s hut. He seemed charged with new purpose. He accepted that our mission was worthwhile and would serve the purposes and designs of Gozreh.

With N’Ketchi on board, we travelled back to town.

----------​

Arodus the 24th.

I spent the entire day enchanting my Wand. Max seems to find that statement funny for some reason. At first I did not think it was going to be successful, but I was able to pull it off. As it was a fairly boring process and Max is now laughing hysterically, I shall keep this entry short. I will only note that my wand will now send forth three magical missiles to strike my enemies. I really don’t know what has gotten into Max.

----------​

Arodus the 25th.

We started our new adventure today. We are off to Kalabuto, the first leg of our journey. N’Ketchi believes it will take a little more than three weeks to get there, plus or minus a few days.

----------​

Arodus the 26th.

We are traveling south of the Bandu hills, heading almost due east. Nothing exciting. I’m going to try to Scribe a few scrolls each night as we go.

----------​

Arodus the 27th.

Little to report, we continue east with no encounters of note.

----------​

Arodus the 28th.

Nothing of note. Luckily food and water seem abundant in this region. Max has had little trouble using his survival skill to provide for our group.

----------​

Arodus the 29th.

Still no encounters, N’ketchi tells us we are on an old mining road. It also carried trade between Kalabuto and Eleder. It has not been well maintained.

----------​

Arodus the 30th.

I cannot recall a time when we had travelled for so long without a confrontation. I was just thinking it was rather nice just to walk and enjoy the journey when we encountered a young woman and her pet deinonychus. She feared we were here to hunt dinosaurs for some reason. N’ketchi felt this very unusual, finding a young woman alone in the wilderness speaking broken common. Suppressing our urge to thank him for stating the obvious, we allayed the girl’s fears and asked how she came to be here.

Piecing together her story through broken Common and Polyglot, it sounded like she had been here since she was a very young child. Her parents were killed in some type on mining disaster at a nearby Salt Mine. We asked what had happened and she just kept repeating something about some great evil coming out through the mine. We agreed to investigate, as N’ketchi felt it might be the best way for a caravan to travel if the mine went completely through the hills to the other side. Telling us she would wait for us on the other side of the mine, she ran off before even telling us her name. I assume she can travel quite quickly through the brush with her pet (a druid perhaps?), since she plans to beat us to the far side of the mine and we are supposedly taking the shortcut.

Around the bend we found an old mining camp, obviously long abandoned. Within one of the buildings we found an old moldy tome. Reluctant to touch it, we opened it and turned its pages with magic. It was an old mining log dated about fifteen years ago. We noted the mine was owned by one Farren Crinshaw. The early log entries indicated he was trying to connect two mines, the one before us and another that had been abandoned and was rumored to be haunted. Why he thought this was I good idea is beyond me.

A late entry describes the discovery of a strange glowing blue orb. The final entry was written in a different hand and stated, “They have come up from below! They are all dead! Their touch withers the flesh!” Not exactly encouraging news.

Entering the dark mine, I took out my Wayfinder and used it to light my way and Max used the flames from his enchanted hammer for light in his usual point position. We soon entered a large cavern filled with water and, before we could even take in the sights, a strange blob lashed out at Kay’Es from the water. I didn’t even have time to decide which spell I might cast, so quickly was the creature destroyed by Kay’Es and Max.

Moving around the water filled area and crossing over a few bridges, we saw a small alcove with animal bones and a small metallic box. As we crossed an old wooden bridge to examine the site, two Salt Wights leapt from the water and attacked me and Max. Though they were quickly killed, it was not quite quick enough. The touch of one of the wights drained some of my vitality. Luckily N’ketchi was on hand to restore it immediately after the fight.

A search of the area revealed some old rusted mining equipment, carts, mule bones and an iron strongbox. Unable to open the locked box with his tools, Max grew impatient and smashed it open. Luckily there was nothing fragile inside, just some gold, a deed to the mine and a document naming one Athyra Crinhouse as the new owner of the mine if anything should happen to the current owners. I wonder if Athyra is the one who will be waiting for us on the far side of the mine.

Last edited:

Peteinmaine

First Post
Max laments (has no idea what laments means)

Got my hammer back. Getting fidgety being stuck here in town. We're gonna leave soon. I found a feather, and some shells, and some hot seaweed chick.

Then we went out on the road. ABOUT TIME...oh yeah and I wrestled some little native guy in a funny loincloth. When he asked if I wanted to wrestle I am SO glad he meant fight. KayEss and Ace were up swordfighting ALL night, oh yeah and Arendel was playing with his wand too.

So we go off into the wastelands and nothing tries to kill us for days...except Ace with his gas, smells like brimstone.

Finally we meet Nell with a dinosaur, she chicka pay lost her family but she lost them conveniently in a shortcut where we are already going! Finally something tried to kill us, we got attacked by something in the water...and some Zombie Jerky. I really like my hammer now, I think while the rest of the party 'readies their spells' I might have to have me some hammer time...

Abciximab

Explorer
End of Session 13.​

The 5 PCs (castaways no more!) are as follows:

Arendel Whisperson – Human Fire Elemental Wizard 5 (Abciximab)
Max “Little” Hammer – Human Fighter/Rogue 2/3 (Peteinmaine)
Acemodius and Kay Es – Tiefling Summoner 5 and his Eidolon. (Mundinironhand)
Taraz Nadar (AKA: T’ar Roddan) – Aasimar Oracle 5 (Adam B.)

Off we go, into the jungle. I think we made a fair amount of progress, finding our guide, navigating the ever present “prove you’re worthy” tests and starting the first leg of our journey.

The tests weren’t too terrible, simple and quick, the way every test should be. Sometimes these types of tests can be a bit annoying. It may just be we had the right stuff at the right time. I’m not sure what the climb DC was, but no one in our party has a good Climb skill and only two have a decent Swim skill (Arendel: Swim -1, Climb -1). Thankfully our magic and potions got us through the trickiest bits. We would not have succeeded without Max’s high Perception and Swim skill (Kay’Es helped here too), of course. Max’s perception was what saved us from having to fight the bird I expect. I won’t comment on what his low Will save achieved.

The jungle journey is going quickly. I think Soanso may be glossing over the travel parts to keep to the action, which is great. Arendel was just thinking N’ketchi might not be too useful beyond “we go this way”, until the Wights drained him of 3 Con (taking 10 hp) and N’ketchi stepped up and cast Lesser Restoration. Now Arendel appreciates him quite a bit more.

Wand making… I decided to rush it (“Race to Ruin!” I get it; we want to beat the other guys) since I could only fail on a 1-2 or a 3. <Roll> 1. Luckily Soanso (very generously) reminded me of my available Hero Points, adding +4 to the roll was enough to succeed. No more rushing for Arendel.

Remove ads