[Arsenal Contest] Cyme vs. Quillathe in the monastery training grounds

Her modifier for the whip opposed attack roll could be +20 if she gets her full bonus, or +11 if we factor in two-weapon fighting and combat expertise, or +16 if we only factor in two-weapon fighting, since it seems odd that fighting defensively would make it easier to be disarmed.

For the rapier, just reduce all those numbers by 1 (+19, or +10, or +15). I don't know which is appropriate. The Rules forum seems to think Combat Expertise shouldn't be a penalty.

What do you think?

I feel Combat Expertise should not be a penalty, but Two-Weapon Fighting should be, so unless you object, I'll use +16 for the Whip, and +15 for the rapier.

Whip roll is 10 +16 = 26.
Rapier is 2 +15 = 17.

Quillathe is completely disarmed. Do you keep the weapons in your hands, or drop them?

Keoki

First Post
How Cyme Gets His Kicks

"Did your master teach you how to fight without your toys?" taunts Cyme. Holding Quillathe's whip in one hand and rapier in the other, he launches two roundhouse kicks, spinning in a whirl of his cloak. The first goes wide as the elf nimbly ducks under it, (10 + 16 = 26), but the second catches her right on the chin (20 + 11 = 31) for a critical threat, but not a critical hit (3 + 11 = 14). Total damage: 14 (5 + 6 + 3).

Keoki

First Post
RangerWickett said:
I feel Combat Expertise should not be a penalty, but Two-Weapon Fighting should be, so unless you object, I'll use +16 for the Whip, and +15 for the rapier.

I would've thought the opposite, actually, but in light of the roll results in this particular case, I guess it doesn't matter.

(Keoki, after you disarmed me, I was waiting to see whether you kept the whips so I could know if I had to disarm you, or if I could just pick them up. I didn't just spend my action standing there, so you shouldn't have kicked me yet. You effectively took two turns in a row.)

So you ran in, tried to disarm, failed, I counter-attacked, you disarmed again, succeeded twice, and now it's my action. If you want, I'll let you keep the kicks (which will actually both hit since I'm not using Combat Expertise this round), or you can change your action in response to what I do.

Disarmed, Quillathe tumbles away so she is 15 ft. from Cyme (two empty 5-ft. squares between them), drawing her back-up bladed whip as she moves. (Tumble check is 6+15, easily beating the DC 15 to avoid provoking an attack of opportunity.) Then she attempts to disarm and grab back her rapier.

Her disarm bonus is +20 (she loses 1 from lack of Style Focus, and 1 from not having a magic whip, but gets a +2 bonus from the whip itself). Your disarm bonus is +15 because you're not proficient with whips.

Her disarm roll is 3 +20 = 23.

Keoki

First Post
Whoops!

Sorry for the confusion. Because of the time difference, almost 10 hours is passing between each of our turns, and I got a little over eager.

Cyme barely manages to keep hold of the frost whip, rolling a total of 26 (11 + 15). Then he Tumbles after his opponent, rolling 24 to avoid an attack of opportunity (2 + 22), and finally delivers his kick.

I don't suppose it matters which of the previous attack rolls I use, since they'd both hit without Combat Expertise. 14 damage.

"Gods' blood!" Cyme exclaims. "How many of those cursed things do you have?"

Quillathe has take 14 damage, and is at 50.
Cyme has taken 18 damage, and is at 50.

Quillathe spins slightly to lessen the impact of the kick, then Spring Attacks away, making another disarm attempt when she's 15 ft. away (trying to get the rapier), then moving another 25 ft. to stop in a tree's square to give her an extra +2 cover bonus to AC, making her AC 27. She's headed toward the large tree in the northeast corner of the training grounds, now about 80 ft. away.

"When this fight's over I'll take your weapons," she snarls, trying to yank her rapier back.

Her disarm attempt is 15 +20 = 35.

Last edited:

Keoki

First Post
Cyme managed to keep the whip, but now loses the rapier (12 + 15 = 27). With a huff of frustration, he follows Quillathe towards the tree, Tumbling to avoid an attack of opportunity (11 + 22 = 33), and belts the elf woman (19 + 16 = 35) for 11 points of damage (2 + 6 + 3 = 11).

Quillathe: 39 hp
Cyme: 50 hp

"Can't you stay still and fight?"

Remove ads