[Arsenal Contest] Cyme vs. Quillathe in the monastery training grounds

Keoki

First Post
Theoretical Question

Theoretically, if I wanted to destroy the frost whip, what hardness and hp would you give it? I assume I wouldn't have to make an attack roll if I'm holding it myself. I couldn't find any info on whip sundering in the PH, other than that leather has hardness 2 and 5 hp/inch of thickness.

From the first post:
With its enhancement bonus factored in, [the bladed whip] has hardness 5 and 15 hit points. It is otherwise identical to a whip.

Also, and this is just in the Whips book and not from core D&D rules, but I can't see a bludgeoning weapon being able to sunder a whip. And piercing weapons can't be used to sunder, so you can't stab it with the rapier. You could break the rapier with your fist, but it has hardness 12 and 15 hit points.

Last edited:

(No need to make Tumble checks for either of us, unless we want to run through our opponent, or to Tumble at full speed with a -10 penalty.)

To Cyme's barb, she replies, "Why, human? Getting tired?"

Quillathe spring attacks again, this time take a 5-ft. step sideways but staying next to Cyme (has to move at least 5 ft. first to spring attack), then attacks with the rapier, then retreats 35 ft. toward the large tree. She stops, again, in one of the many squares with a small tree, so figure that she can't make a straight beeline for the tree, and the large tree is now 60 ft. away.

Attack roll is 9 +19 = 28. Just enough to hit, dealing 2d6+3 = 15 damage.

If you do incur an attack of opportunity, my attack roll with the whip is:

[sblock]A natural 1, a miss.[/sblock]

And with the +2 cover bonus from the tree, her AC is 27.

Last edited:

Keoki

First Post
Rules, rules, rules

Thanks - I didn't notice the whip hardness info in the original post. And I think your house rule about a bludgeoning weapon not being able to sunder a whip is entirely reasonable. After all, if we're trying to promote a Whips book, it wouldn't do to destroy all the whips, would it :) ?

I should point out, however, that according to the PH, the frost rapier should now be lying in the square Cyme was previously occupying, though. And I couldn't find anything under the whip description that stated whips as an exception to this rule. Unless, of course, Quillanthe has some feat or special ability from the new book that allows her to snatch weapons with a whip instead of yanking them out of her opponent's hands.

Since you may want to redo your last turn in light of this, I'll wait for your next response to post again.

Keoki

First Post
Rules, rules, rules

Thanks - I didn't notice the whip hardness info in the original post. And I think your house rule about a bludgeoning weapon not being able to sunder a whip is entirely reasonable. After all, if we're trying to promote a Whips book, it wouldn't do to destroy all the whips, would it :) ?

I should point out, however, that according to the PH, the frost rapier should now be lying in the square Cyme was previously occupying, though. And I couldn't find anything under the whip description that stated whips as an exception to this rule. Unless, of course, Quillanthe has some feat or special ability from the new book that allows her to snatch weapons with a whip instead of just yanking them out of her opponent's hands.

Since you may want to redo your last turn in light of this, I'll wait for your next response to take my next turn.

I thought the rule was that if you were unarmed and you disarmed someone, you could have their weapon. But it's only if you attempt the disarm with an unarmed attack. I misread it. There actually is a feat in the whip book that lets you grab things with your whip and pull them back to you, and Quillathe doesn't have that, so you're right, she's still just got the mundane masterwork bladed whip.

So, backing up:

After pulling her rapier free from Cyme's hand, Quillathe retreats to the defense of a tree, but the monk leaps after her and slams her in the stomach for 11 damage. Quillathe is at 39, Cyme at 50. Quillathe's rapier is 40 ft. away.

Quillathe spring attacks, running past Cyme, back in the direction of her rapier. She attacks with full Combat Expertise and defensive fighting (AC is 33, and her attack bonus is +9), then she gets as close as she can to the rapier, 5-ft. away.

Her attack roll is 16 +9 = 25, not enough. Hopefully next round she'll be able to pick up her weapon and fight.

Keoki

First Post
Standoff

I'm glad to hear that feat's in the book - that's a cool ability.

His eyes darting toward where the elf is headed, Cyme quickly cartwheels back above the fallen rapier (in the same square as he was before), dodging low under Quillathe's back-up whip.

"Uh-uh-uh!" he taunts, wagging a finger back and forth. Then, seeming out of nowhere, his other hand flashes out and tags his opponent (17 + 16 = 33, just enough) for 9 damage (5 + 1 +3 = 6).

Quillathe: 30 hp
Cyme: 50 hp

(I'm laughing here, but Quillathe is pissed.)

Quillathe attacks twice with her mundane bladed whip, then steps back 5 ft.

Her rolls are at +18 and +13.

15 +18 = 33, a hit. For d6+3 = 4 damage.
11 +13 = 24, a miss.

Quillathe curses in Elvish (
something to the effect of goat-bred orc-screwing peasant
), and she just barely slashes Cyme as she backs away slowly.

Remove ads