[Arsenal Contest] Cyme vs. Quillathe in the monastery training grounds

Ladies and gentlemen, we are here today to witness a duel between two very different combatants, as part of a contest by E.N. Publishing to promote our newest release in the E.N. Arsenal line, E.N. Arsenal - Whips. If poster Keoki, playing as the human monk Cyme, is able to defeat our whip-wielding contender, he will win a free copy of E.N. Arsenal - Whips and Spiked Chain. Even if he loses, he still goes home with a free copy of Whips.

Originally Posted by Keoki

Cyme
Male Human Monk 10

CR 10; Medium humanoid; HD 10d8+20; hp 68; Init +7; Spd 60 ft.; AC 27, touch 25, flat-footed 14; Base Atk +7; Grp +13; Atk +16 melee (2d6+3/x2, unarmed); Full Atk +16/+11 melee (2d6+3/x2, unarmed); SA flurry of blows, ki strike (magic, lawful); SQ human traits, improved evasion, still mind, slow fall 50 ft., purity of body, wholeness of body; AL LN; SV Fort +10, Ref +15, Will +12; Str 14, Dex 24, Con 14, Int 8, Wis 18, Cha 8.

Skills and Feats: Balance +22, Escape Artist +20, Jump +17, Tumble +22, Combat Expertise, Deflect Arrows, Dodge, Improved Disarm, Mobility, Stunning Fist, Weapon Finesse, Weapon Focus (unarmed).

Possessions: Monk’s outfit, amulet of mighty fists +1, bracers of armor +2, cloak of resistance +1, elixir of fire breath, gloves of dexterity +4, monk’s belt, ring of protection +2.

Vs.

Originally Posted by RangerWickett

Quillathe Nailo
Female Elf Ranger 2/Fighter 4/Nailo-Shalanth 4

CR 10; Medium humanoid; HD 4d10+6d8+10; hp 64; Init +8; Spd 40 ft.; AC 24 (+6 +2 mithral shirt, +6 dexterity, +1 natural armor, +1 deflection), touch 17, flat-footed 18; Base Atk +9; Grp +10; Atk +20 melee (2d6+2/crit: 19-20, +1 frost bladed whip) or +19 melee (2d6+1/crit: 18-20, +1 frost rapier) or +18 ranged (1d6+1/crit: x3, masterwork shortbow); Full Atk +16/+11 and +15 melee (2d6+2/crit: 19-20, +1 frost bladed whip and 2d6+1/crit: 18-20, +1 frost rapier), or +18/+13 ranged (1d6+1/crit: x3, masterwork shortbow [Str +1]); SQ elf traits, whisperstrike, favored enemy (human) +2, whip mastery +1; AL CN; SV Fort +9, Ref +16, Will +1; Str 12, Dex 26, Con 12, Int 13, Wis 8, Cha 13.

Skills and Feats: Balance +15, Climb +11, Hide +17, Jump +22, Move Silently +15, Tumble +15; Combat Expertise, Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (bladed whip), Improved Melee Lash, Melee Lash, Mobility, Spring Attack, Style Focus (bladed whip and rapier), Track, Two-Weapon Fighting, Weapon Finesse, Whip Strike.

Possessions: +1 frost bladed whip, +1 frost rapier, +2 mithral shirt, amulet of natural armor +1, ring of protection +1, gloves of dexterity +4, boots of striding and springing, masterwork dagger, masterwork shortbow [Str +1], silver arrows, back up masterwork bladed whip, various incidental items.

New Rules: Quillathe's Melee Lash feats allow her to attack with a whip or whip-like weapon and not incur attacks of opportunity. She threatens 10 ft. around her with a whip.

Whip Strike lets her deal damage to creatures with her whip regardless of their armor or natural armor bonus.

Style Focus is identical to weapon focus, except that it applies to a chosen pair of weapons, and only grants the bonus if you are armed with both weapons. If Quillathe were disarmed of her rapier, she would lose the bonus to attacks with her bladed whip.

Quillathe's bladed whip does d6 lethal damage, with a critical threat range of 19-20/x2. With its enhancement bonus factored in, it has hardness 5 and 15 hit points. It is otherwise identical to a whip.

Whip Mastery grants Quillathe a +1 bonus to attack rolls with whip-like weapons.

The battleground is a lightly wooded monastery training ground. Once a place of martial learning, the monastery has been abandoned, and now the only two here are two opponents who seek the knowledge within the temple for their own reasons.

The training grounds were once a field 200 ft. by 120 ft., surrounded by 20-ft. stone walls that separated it from the thick forest outside. In the years of disuse, young trees have taken root, the equivalent of a light forest as detailed on page 87 of the DMG. There is no undergrowth. The narrow sides of the training field face to the north and south, and on the southern face of the training field is the monastery itself, a three-story wooden building. At the northeast corner of the training field, a massive tree provides a way to reach the top of the wall.

The monastery is three stories, vaguely pagoda-like.

The first floor is 120-ft. square and 20 ft. high. The interior walls have a 10-ft. wide catwalk along the walls, supported by wooden pillars. A staircase near the southeast corner leads up to the southeast corner of the second floor. The doorway to the training grounds hangs open and broken.

The second floor is 80-ft. square and 20 ft. high, with no catwalk. A closed doorway on the northern wall can open onto a 20-ft. wide balcony with no railing. Near the southwest corner is a staircase that leads up to the southwest corner of the third floor. Broken windows provide enough light to see by.

The third floor is 40-ft. square with 10-ft. high walls. The whole floor is covered with rubble from the collapsed ceiling. There are large windows one each wall, open to the slanted roof of the second floor.

Quillathe and Cyme want the same knowledge, which is said to be in a rack of sealed scroll tubes on the third floor. Neither is likely to let the other simply take the priceless martial knowledge.

We're running this game on the honor system. Roll your dice at home and post your unmodified roll, and what it is modified. If you take an action that would incur an attack of opportunity, post what action you're taking, then wait for your opponent to respond before moving on with your action. If you have a readied action, use the {spoiler} tag to hide what you're readying until after you decide what to do, and then check the hidden text to see if the readied action interferes with your action. If it does, post what you were trying to do, and wait for your opponent's reaction.

If there is a conflict, we'll go to our unofficial judge - the Rules Forum.

The combatants start 40 ft. apart. One is 20 ft. from the monastery door, the other is 60 ft. from the monastery door. Keoki, choose if you want to be nearer or further from the door. Neither combatant is surprised.

Keoki, post when you're ready, and we can get started. I'm gaming later tonight, but otherwise I should be able to keep this going at a fast pace.

In a duelist's stance - rapier pointing forward in the left hand, bladed whip snapping back in forth in the right hand - Quillathe weaves back and forth, trying to keep a good view of her opponent.

"I'm sorry our paths had to cross here," she says. "Sorry for you, that is."

Last edited:

Keoki

First Post
Cyme's Initiative

Cyme will start closer to the door, and rolls a 10 for initiative, for a total of 17 (the bonus listed above should be +7, not +4, from his Dex bonus).

"Eyeing his opponent's lethal-looking whip apprehensively, Cyme's blood starts racing."

Last edited:

Morrus has suggested we use the dice tag, which rolls dice for you and shows an image in the body of your post. You can't change the number by editing your post, so just to make sure things are safe and no one worries about dice rolls, we can use this.

The format is (dice=#dice)#sides(/dice), replacing parentheses with brackets. So ( becomes [, and ) becomes ]

So say I want to roll a d20. [dice=1]20[/dice]

Last edited:

Actually, after some quick testing, I'm in favor of the honor system, unless you want to use this. You can only roll one die or set of dice per post, so doing attack and damage takes a while.

Keoki

First Post
Disarm Attempt

The honor system is fine with me. The editing I did in my previous post was changing the tense to match Quillathe's.

"Taking advantage of his opponent's pause, Cyme runs at her with blinding speed (60 ft. per round) and makes a move for her whip, trying to wrench it from her hand. He rolls another 10 for his melee touch attack, easily connecting with the weapon (10 + 7 BAB + 2 Str = 19), then rolls 12 for the disarm attempt proper, for a total of 25 (12 + 7 BAB + 2 Str + 4 Improved Disarm)."

Actually, you do provoke an attack of opportunity as you close, since Quillathe threatens 10 ft., and Combat Reflexes lets her make AoOs even if flat-footed. Unless you have an objection, she makes this attack, rolling 12 +20 = 32, which should be enough to hit you even with mobility. With bladed whip and cold damage, plus her favored enemy bonus, she deals 2d6+4, for 9 damage.

(Oh, and disarm is just a normal opposed attack roll, so you can use your Weapon Finesse. If your natural roll was a 12, you add you normal +16 attack bonus, then +4 from Improved Disarm, for a total of 32.)

Her opposed attack roll is 16 +20 = 36 (I think the +2 whip bonus for disarms only applies when you're making the disarm).

Cyme comes within reach and tries to twist Quillathe's whip from her grasp, but she pulls free, surprised at how quickly the human reached her.

(Tell me soon if you see anything wrong with my figures above. Otherwise I'll post my turn in about 20 minutes.)

"Thief!" Quillathe hisses, pulling her whip out of the man's reach.

She makes a full attack with Combat Expertise for 5 (+11/+16 and +10), then backs off 5 ft. She declares Cyme as her dodge target, making her AC 30, and her touch AC .

First whip is a 19 +11 = 30, and a critical threat. The confirm roll is 19 +11 = 30 again, critically hitting for 3d6+8 = 18 damage.

Second whip is 9 +6 = 15, a miss.

Rapier is 16 +10 = 26, a miss.

Her bladed whip slashes through the air high and low, making almost no sound. It catches the man once, but the nimble monk dodges most of the whip strikes and deflects Quillathe's rapier thrust.

Cursing her overly-cautious attack, Quillathe harrumphs. "Fast thief.

Keoki

First Post
Retry

Reeling from being lacerated by the bladed whip, Cyme steels himself and tries to snatch it from his opponent's grasp again, rolling a 29 this time (9 + 16 + 4). With his free hand (and second attack), he attempts to grab the rapier, rolling 31 (16 + 11 +4).

Last edited:

Remove ads