[Arsenal Contest] Marcus Argh vs. Quillathe at the monastery training grounds

Ladies and gentlemen, we are here today to witness a duel between two very different combatants, as part of a contest by E.N. Publishing to promote our newest release in the E.N. Arsenal line, E.N. Arsenal - Whips. If poster John Q Mayhem, playing as the half-Orc warrior Marcus Argh, is able to defeat our whip-wielding contender, he will win a free copy of E.N. Arsenal - Whips and Spiked Chain. Even if he loses, he still goes home with a free copy of Whips.

Originally Posted by John Q Mayhem

Marcus Argh
Male Half-Orc Barbarian 1/Fighter 8/Ranger 1

HD: 1d12+8d10+1d8+20 (80)
Init: +6
Speed: 40 ft.
AC: 21 (+2 Dex, +7 armor, +1 deflection, +1 natural armor) touch 13, flat-footed 19
BAB/Grapple: +10/+17
Attack: +3 elf-bane spiked chain +20 (2d4+2d6+23); or longbow +12 (1d8+3)
Full Attack: +3 elf-bane spiked chain +20/+15 (2d4+2d6+23)
Space/Reach: 5 ft/5 ft. (10 ft. with chain)
Special Attacks: Rage 1/day, Favored Enemy (Elves +2)
Special Qualities: Half-Orc traits
Saves: Fort +10, Ref +5, Will -1
Abilities: Str 22 (24), Dex 14, Con 14, Int 13, Wis 8, Cha 6
Skills: Spot +10, Listen +10
Feats: Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Spiked Chain), Combat Expertise, Improved Trip, Improved Disarm, Weapon Focus (Spiked Chain), Weapon Specialization (Spiked Chain), Power Attack, Improved Critical (Spiked Chain), Improved Initiative, Track
CR: 10
Stuff: 49000 –8350 (+2 mithril breastplate), -32325 (+3 elf-bane spiked chain), -4000 (belt of strength +2), -2000 (ring of protection +1), -2000 (amulet of natural armor +1), -50 (2 extra spiked chains), -175 gp (composite longbow (Str +1), -1 (quiver), 99 gp

I’ve already figured the favored enemy bonus and bane into the skills and damage numbers. Marcus is power attacking for –3/+6.

15 (-8), 8(-0), 8(-0) 18 (-16), 14 (-6), 14 (-6)

Vs.

Originally Posted by RangerWickett

Quillathe Nailo
Female Elf Ranger 2/Fighter 4/Nailo-Shalanth 4

CR 10; Medium humanoid; HD 4d10+6d8+10; hp 64; Init +8; Spd 40 ft.; AC 24 (+6 +2 mithral shirt, +6 dexterity, +1 natural armor, +1 deflection), touch 17, flat-footed 18; Base Atk +9; Grp +10; Atk +20 melee (2d6+2/crit: 19-20, +1 frost bladed whip) or +19 melee (2d6+1/crit: 18-20, +1 frost rapier) or +18 ranged (1d6+1/crit: x3, masterwork shortbow); Full Atk +16/+11 and +15 melee (2d6+2/crit: 19-20, +1 frost bladed whip and 2d6+1/crit: 18-20, +1 frost rapier), or +18/+13 ranged (1d6+1/crit: x3, masterwork shortbow [Str +1]); SQ elf traits, whisperstrike, favored enemy (human) +2, whip mastery +1; AL CN; SV Fort +9, Ref +16, Will +1; Str 12, Dex 26, Con 12, Int 13, Wis 8, Cha 13.

Skills and Feats: Balance +15, Climb +11, Hide +17, Jump +22, Move Silently +15, Tumble +15; Combat Expertise, Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (bladed whip), Improved Melee Lash, Melee Lash, Mobility, Spring Attack, Style Focus (bladed whip and rapier), Track, Two-Weapon Fighting, Weapon Finesse, Whip Strike.

Possessions: +1 frost bladed whip, +1 frost rapier, +2 mithral shirt, amulet of natural armor +1, ring of protection +1, gloves of dexterity +4, boots of striding and springing, masterwork dagger, masterwork shortbow [Str +1], silver arrows, back up masterwork bladed whip, various incidental items.

New Rules: Quillathe's Melee Lash feats allow her to attack with a whip or whip-like weapon and not incur attacks of opportunity. She threatens 10 ft. around her with a whip.

Whip Strike lets her deal damage to creatures with her whip regardless of their armor or natural armor bonus.

Style Focus is identical to weapon focus, except that it applies to a chosen pair of weapons, and only grants the bonus if you are armed with both weapons. If Quillathe were disarmed of her rapier, she would lose the bonus to attacks with her bladed whip.

Quillathe's bladed whip does d6 lethal damage, with a critical threat range of 19-20/x2. With its enhancement bonus factored in, it has hardness 3 and 15 hit points. It is otherwise identical to a whip.

Whip Mastery grants Quillathe a +1 bonus to attack rolls with whip-like weapons.

The battleground is a lightly wooded monastery training ground. Once a place of martial learning, the monastery has been abandoned, and now the only two here are opponents who seek the same treasure within the temple.

The training grounds were once a field 200 ft. by 120 ft., surrounded by 20-ft. stone walls that separated it from the thick forest outside. In the years of disuse, young trees have taken root, the equivalent of a light forest as detailed on page 87 of the DMG. There is no undergrowth. The narrow sides of the training field face to the north and south, and on the southern face of the training field is the monastery itself, a three-story wooden building. At the northeast corner of the training field, a massive tree provides a way to reach the top of the wall.

The monastery is three stories, vaguely pagoda-like.

The first floor is 120-ft. square and 20 ft. high. The interior walls have a 10-ft. wide catwalk along the walls, supported by wooden pillars. A staircase near the southeast corner leads up to the southeast corner of the second floor. The doorway to the training grounds hangs open and broken.

The second floor is 80-ft. square and 20 ft. high, with no catwalk. A closed doorway on the northern wall can open onto a 20-ft. wide balcony with no railing. Near the southwest corner is a staircase that leads up to the southwest corner of the third floor. Broken windows provide enough light to see by.

The third floor is 40-ft. square with 10-ft. high walls. The whole floor is covered with rubble from the collapsed ceiling. There are large windows one each wall, open to the slanted roof of the second floor.

Quillathe and Marcus want the same treasure, a collection of magical weapons trapped beneath the rubble on the third floor. Neither is likely to let the other simply take the priceless items.

We're running this game on the honor system. Roll your dice at home and post your unmodified roll, and what it is modified. If you take an action that would incur an attack of opportunity, post what action you're taking, then wait for your opponent to respond before moving on with your action. If you have a readied action, use the {spoiler} tag to hide what you're readying until after you decide what to do, and then check the hidden text to see if the readied action interferes with your action. If it does, post what you were trying to do, and wait for your opponent's reaction.

If there is a conflict, we'll go to our unofficial judge - the Rules Forum.

The combatants start 40 ft. apart. One is 20 ft. from the monastery door, the other is 60 ft. from the monastery door. John Q Mayhem, choose if you want to be nearer or further from the door. Neither combatant is surprised.

John Q Mayhem, post when you're ready, and we can get started.

In a duelist's stance - rapier pointing forward in the left hand, bladed whip snapping back in forth in the right hand - Quillathe weaves back and forth, trying to keep a good view of her opponent.

"Spiked chains?" she says. "Like anyone could actually use that weapon effectively."

(Her initiative roll is 8 +8 =16.)

Last edited:

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
me said:
Marcus Argh
Male Half-Orc Barbarian 1/Fighter 8/Ranger 1
HD: 1d12+8d10+1d8+20 (80)
Init: +6
Speed: 40 ft.
AC: 21 (+2 Dex, +7 armor, +1 deflection, +1 natural armor) touch 13, flat-footed 19
BAB/Grapple: +10/+17
Attack: +3 elf-bane spiked chain +20 (2d4+2d6+20); or longbow +12 (1d8+3)
Full Attack: +3 elf-bane spiked chain +20/+15 (2d4+2d6+20)
Space/Reach: 5 ft/5 ft. (10 ft. with chain)
Special Attacks: Rage 1/day, Favored Enemy (Elves +2)
Special Qualities: Half-Orc traits
Saves: Fort +10, Ref +5, Will -1
Abilities: Str 22 (24), Dex 14, Con 14, Int 13, Wis 8, Cha 6
Skills: Spot +10, Listen +10
Feats: Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Spiked Chain), Combat Expertise, Improved Trip, Improved Disarm, Weapon Focus (Spiked Chain), Weapon Specialization (Spiked Chain), Power Attack, Improved Critical (Spiked Chain), Improved Initiative, Track
CR: 10
Stuff: 49000 –8350 (+2 mithril breastplate), -32325 (+3 elf-bane spiked chain), -4000 (belt of strength +2), -2000 (ring of protection +1), -2000 (amulet of natural armor +1), -50 (2 extra spiked chains), -175 gp (composite longbow (Str +1), -1 (quiver), 99 gp

I’ve already figured the favored enemy bonus and bane into the skills and damage numbers. Marcus is power attacking for –3/+6.

15 (-8), 8(-0), 8(-0) 18 (-16), 14 (-6), 14 (-6)

Marcus is chaotic neutral.

Here's Marcus. Sorry 'bout the stats, my inner munchkin overcame my sportsmanship.

Marcus bursts from the trees to find Nailo waiting for him. He bristles at her taunt, then relaxes with a smirk as he readies his weapon. "Many elves have mocked me thus, frail one, but their flesh now strengthens me...as shall yours."

EDIT: Initiative score 20 (14+6). I'm using the D&D Dice Roller utility on Wizards' site.

EDIT: My damage bonus should be +23; +10 Str (+7x1.5=10.5), +5, +6 Power Attack, +2 FE.

Last edited:

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
I see that I'm going first. Charge it is; I have the speed to reach Quillathe, but I'll stop 5 feet away and attack with my chain. If that doesn't count as a charge, I stop 15 feet away and use Combat Expertise for +5 AC.

If the charge is legal, my attack was another 14; total attack roll is 36 including the +2 from charge. Damage is 31 (EDIT: 34).

Quillathe's FE bonus applies to half-orcs, right?

Last edited:

A charge that doesn't end right next to the opponent is fine. I imagine you just didn't want to move through her threatened space more than necessary. But did you mean that they're in adjacent spaces (5 ft. away) or at the edge of your reach (10 ft. away)? If you are 5 ft. away, you incurred an Attack of Opportunity.

My action awaits your reply.

Morrus has suggested we use the dice tag, which rolls dice for you and shows an image in the body of your post. You can't change the number by editing your post, so just to make sure things are safe and no one worries about dice rolls, we can use this.

The format is (dice=#dice)#sides(/dice), replacing parentheses with brackets. So ( becomes [, and ) becomes ]

So say I want to roll a d20. [dice]

The half-Orc's spiked chain slashes across Quillathe's face, cutting open her cheek and searing the wound with baleful energy. (Quillathe's hit points are down 31 from 64, to 33).

Quillathe makes a single attack with Combat Expertise for 5 (+5 AC), fighting defensively (+3 AC with Tumble), so that after declaring Argh as her dodge target (+1 AC), her AC is 33. Her attack roll is d20 +20 -9. Then she retreats, intending to run 40 ft. and end in a square with a small tree, which grants a +2 cover bonus to AC.

She will Tumble with a -10 penalty to move at full speed and avoid provoking an attack of opportunity. If she fails, Argh gets to attack her, but her AC will be 37 with Mobility. Her tumble roll is d20 +15 -10, against DC 15.

The first d20 roll is her attack roll, the second is her Tumble check.

[dice]

Last edited:

The attack hits, dealing 2d6+2 damage. After a spiteful slash of her whip, Quillathe backflips, spins, and sprints away, stopping behind the mild cover of a small tree.

[dice]

She deals 8 damage. With the cover of the tree, dodge, combat expertise, and fighting defensively with Tumble, her AC is 35.

Last edited:

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
Is this tree a sapling or a real tree? I move until there's one space between Marcus and Quillathe, and attack with no power attack, so my attack is at +23 and my damage is 2d6+2d4+17.

My attack roll:
[dice]

Remove ads