[Arsenal Contest] Marcus Argh vs. Quillathe at the monastery training grounds

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
Total attack of 39, for a palpable hit!

[dice]+[dice]+17

With a flip of his wrist, Marcus sends his chain sailing around the tree.
"Pitiful," he declares in Elven. "You're weak even for an Elf."

Last edited:

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
I accidentally rolled 2d4+2d4, not 2d4+2d6. Since the 2d4s were both the same, here is my 2d6.
[dice]

And it was the same anyways. Total damage 27.

Last edited:

(It's a real tree, just a small one, with a trunk diameter of 2 or 3 feet.)

Now at 6 hit points, Quillathe realizes she has to get that (munchkin) vicious weapon out of the half-Orc's hand. With spring attack, she moves back 5 ft. out of his threatened area and attempts to disarm him with her 15-ft. reach whip. Using no combat expertise or defensive fighting, her disarm bonus is +22 (whips get a +2 to disarm attempts). Argh's disarm bonus is +29 (you lose the +2 bane bonus, and the +2 bonus on disarms only apply when you're initiating the disarm). After her disarm, whether it goes well or poorly, she'll continue her spring attack movement another 35 ft., ending in another tree square, where her AC will be 27, and if necessary will draw a back-up bladed whip as she retreats.

As she moves, she's always heading toward the far corner where the large tree is.

Here's how the rolls will be. The first die roll is her first opposed attack roll, with a +22 bonus. The second die roll is her opposed attack roll to avoid being disarmed if the first attempt fails. Of course, if the first attempt goes well that die roll is unnecessary.

[dice]

So her attempt to disarm is a 39. If that fails, her attempt to resist is 35.

Last edited:

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
Marcus' weapon is twisted from his hands by Quillathe's lightning-fast whip strike. He quickly steps back (5 ft. step), readies his bow (move-equivalent action), and launches an arrow at the elf. [dice]

With my +12 to attack, that makes 31; more than enough to hit. I have +3 to damage from FE and Str +1. Next post will be the d8 roll.

Last edited:

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
Here's the bow damage:

[dice]

+3

=6! Quillathe's at 0 hp.

Marcus grins as his arrow flies home. "Your time is short, frail one"

Last edited:

(She probably should have sprung attack back 5 ft., disarmed, then sprung attack back in 10 ft. to stand beside you, so you'd provoke attacks of opportunity. Hrm. I got ahead of myself. I can't exactly win here, now.)

The arrow strikes Quillathe over her right breast, and she staggers back, slumping against the tree.

She gestures with her rapier to the monastery. "Take it," she says. "To the winner go the spoils. I obviously over-estimated myself."

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
Marcus cautiosly retrieves his prized chain, and collects Quillathe's weapons. He binds her with her whips, retrieves the magical items (keeping an eye over his shoulder the whole time), and leaves.

Good fight, there; that was my first PbP fight. I assume Quillathe doesn't try anything funny?

She won't try anything, at least not any time soon. You won. Post your email address on the general forum thread, and we'll send along the prize. The Spiked Chain book is a little overpowered, so you'll probably like it. *grin*

Quillathe was built for hit-and-run, and that doesn't work so well against people who have reach themselves. The Elf-bane weapon didn't make things any easier. I couldn't really afford to stay anywhere near you.

Remove ads