As the good WOTC employees get fired...check this out

Status
Not open for further replies.

joethelawyer

Banned
Banned

Mod edit: Sorry, no politics. If you have a question, please feel free to e-mail one of the moderators. Our addresses are in a post stickied to the top of the Meta Forum

Last edited by a moderator:

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
Hasbro signed a strategic partnership agreement with Universal pictures in February 2008. As per the six year partnership agreement, Hasbro will produce at least four motion pictures based on some of its brands, including Monopoly, Candy land, and Stretch Armstrong.

dnd didnt make the list huh? yeah, who likes fantasy movies these days. i mean, harry potter and LOTR didnt make anything for their companies, did they?

Dude, have you actually seen the two DnD movies that they have made? I'd actually prefer they not make any more DnD/games-in-general movies. From the ones I've seen, read reviews of, and heard my friends talk about, they are universally bad to horrible, usually flops, and probably do more to harm the products they are associated with than help them.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
Mod edit: Please don't perpetuate real-world political content on these boards. Thank you

Now that's something I can get on board with. You're absolutely right.:rant: This doesn't just suck, it sucks just a little bit more every day (like a black hole that's just growing, and growing, and growing . . .:().

Last edited by a moderator:

FalcWP

Explorer
Now that's something I can get on board with. You're absolutely right.:rant: This doesn't just suck, it sucks just a little bit more every day (like a black hole that's just growing, and growing, and growing . . .:().

Yes, shame on those people. Taking as much as their bosses are willing to pay them, when there are people out there that don't make as much.

It's *capitalism*. Stop being shocked and angry. If you want to be angry, be angry with Adam Smith. Or Karl Marx for not having very good marketing people.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
plus, who the hell are these guys? a university president? how does that qualify him to make decisions for a toy/hobby company?

I would recommend a few good corporate business courses, so that you come to understand how a large multinational corporation is run and how it works. The university president guy is a non-executive board member, which means he and the other non-executives provide advice to the executive board members on matters of strategy and other areas that speak to their experience. In any matter of advice, it helps to have a broad wealth of experience to draw from.

Also, after you get to a certain point in an organization, you're not dealing with the items the organization works with as a whole. You're managing people and managing money, not selling toys, making airplanes or puiblishing magazines. You smooth the road so the people who do these things can actually get their jobs done and not have to worry about all the admin details.

Delta

First Post
Yes, shame on those people. Taking as much as their bosses are willing to pay them, when there are people out there that don't make as much.

It's *capitalism*. Stop being shocked and angry. If you want to be angry, be angry with Adam Smith. Or Karl Marx for not having very good marketing people.

There is very well-established research that high rates of economic inequality have direct effects on lessening social cohesion, higher homicide rates, and reduced public health. I recommend you read up on it here:

Economic inequality - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

FalcWP

Explorer
There is very well-established research that high rates of economic inequality have direct effects on lessening social cohesion, higher homicide rates, and reduced public health. I recommend you read up on it here:

Yes. I'm aware. The world is unfair, and it'd be a much better place if toy company executives did not take massive bonuses and instead took just enough to feed their families, and did everything in their power to make sure everyone on the planet got to eat three square meals a day and got medicine.

And as sarcastic as that sounds, I really do mean that - that'd be a fantastic world. And as soon as you can convince six billion people to ignore evolution (more resources = better chance of survival = better chance of reproducing = better chance that your genes make it and the other guy's don't), we'll have a nice perfect world.

Now, me, I didn't learn enough about human psychology to convince everyone to be generous and take exactly what they need. I didn't learn to manipulate human genetics to override every lesson evolution imprinted on them. I went and studied business, because at the end of the day, I'd like to have enough money for things like a computer, an internet connection, books about being a wizard, and funny looking dice. They're luxury items, really. I could live without them - they don't show up in the first tiers of Maslow's hierarchy. But I want them.

Does that mean that I want the rest of the world to starve and go without medicine so I can spend one night a week pretending to be a halfling cleric? Well, I wouldn't say that I *want* people to go without... but obviously, my priorities have 'personal entertainment' and 'hanging out with my friends' ranked higher than 'combat economic inequality'. I'd call it human nature, myself - I'm putting my own needs ahead of those of others.

Does that mean that I think I should take every cent I can possibly amass, and lay in a bed of it? Of course not - I'm not a dragon. When my personal needs and wants are met, I give to charity. You know... I'm willing to bet a lot of the folks mentioned in the OP give to charity, too. Probably much more than I do.

Delta

First Post
And as soon as you can convince six billion people to ignore evolution (more resources = better chance of survival = better chance of reproducing = better chance that your genes make it and the other guy's don't), we'll have a nice perfect world.

Sounds like you didn't read the article. Here are some other options:
- Public education
- Progressive taxation
- Minimum wage legislation
- Subsidization of "essential" goods and services such as food, healthcare, education, and housing.

Again I recommend you read the article:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads