As the good WOTC employees get fired...check this out

Status
Not open for further replies.

catsclaw227

First Post
My understanding is that, while it is unfortunate that Linae was one of the people restructured, that other jobs were created and people were moved.

Did the acutal number of jobs at WOTC decrease, or did they just move some responsibilities around and shift focus?

This happens all the time in business, and in these cases, it is a zero-sum or even an increase in employment at the company in question.

What was the net number of jobs lost during the restructuring, anyway? I am of the impression that they are acutally increasing the number of employees (though all jobs may not have been filled yet.)

Dragonblade

Adventurer
OK, having read the economic inequality, there is a little blurb at the bottom that discusses the opposition to these theories. I.e. difference in behavior.

Public Education - I made more of mine than most, unfortunately not so for my children. Behavior is a big equalizer.

Prgressive Taxation - Once you remove the tax burden from the lowest, they are in effect voting for benefits from the top. Its much easier to be on the bottom than the top, hence the incentives for a lazy person are to loaf. While there are people with legitimate concerns, there are way too many people I have met in life who are their own worst enemies, mostly through a failure of leveraging that wonderful public education system....

Minimum wage legislation is not a fix. Most heads of household are not in a situation where they have to rely on minimum wage to support a family. Increasing minimum wage just transfers more costs to the consumers arguably making it even harder for that person making minimum wage to get by. If minimum wage was all it took, why does unemployment go up when min wage goes up? Why can my 17 year old son not find a job when he is ready and willing to work? Think the two are related?

Nationalization does not decrease total costs except through extreme rationing. If you have to wait 6 months for routine care do you self medicate, wait, look for other options? I.e. is the reduced cost part of rationed services and frustations with an ineffcient system or legitimate reduced costs?
Unfortunately economic inequality theories cater to wealth envy and justify a Robin Hood type mentality while not adjusting behavior or offering incentives to encourage more efficient or beneficial behaviors. The dig in the article about the far right discounting these theories does not also mention that all too often the far right consists of people absolutely willing to help someone else out.... but only if they are willing to work as hard at getting out of their mess as they expect others to work for them.

Take into account our latin american workers who leave family behind, live 6 to a room, and send money home to better their lives. While I am against illegal immigration, I much more respect this attitude than clinging to inner cities and gang/thug culture often supported by an emotional argument that keeping these families together is more important than kicking the young men and women in the rump and making them go where the work is....

As you can see, the intentions are nice, but entropy and laziness are always going to be the bane of good intentions.

This.

The salaries of top earners are irrelevant. The sole purpose of a corporation is to increase the value of the corporation to its owners, i.e. shareholders. The compensation of a CEO is based on this performance. CEO's who are overpaid are eventually dismissed if they can't make the bottom line.

Contrary to popular myth, shareholders aren't just a bunch of rich white guys. If you have a 401K, likely odds are that you have shares in mutual funds (which own stocks) or you own stocks directly. Financial institutions which own stocks use the profits of that ownership for many things. Such as offering loans to first time home buyers. Or insurance companies underwriting insurance to someone whose home was destroyed in a fire.

These are all good things and they can happen because CEOs add value to a shareholder by making a company profitable. Now on a personal level does it suck when someone like Linae Foster loses her job? Of course it does. But that tightening of the belt is often just good business management. That business management adds value to the company which in turns resonates throughout the whole economy, including powering the creation of new jobs somewhere else. A job that I'm sure a capable person like Linae will be able to find.

Government has the best intentions, but interfering with this process always makes us worse off than before. Capitalism works precisely because it is the only economic system that harnesses man's natural tendencies to self-interest for the benefit of all.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

We have a rule against discussing real-world politics in the forums, folks.

Even after I deleted some such content, others continued along those lines. Sorry, but that is not acceptable. Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads