As the good WOTC employees get fired...check this out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mishihari Lord

First Post
Exactly. It's not in the top league at WotC. WotC isn't in the top league at Hasbro. Why would Hasbro be prioritising D&D?

I imagine Hasbro barely knows it owns D&D.

Actually they do know they own it, they're just not sure what to do about it. I met a Hasbro VP a while back and D&D came up in the conversation. He said that they'd like to contribute and make it stronger, but since they just don't have much experience with RPGs they decided it was best to let WOTC grow it as best they could. I think that leaving the RPGs to the RPG experts is a good call.

Sylevus

First Post
OK, having read the economic inequality, there is a little blurb at the bottom that discusses the opposition to these theories. I.e. difference in behavior.

Public Education - I made more of mine than most, unfortunately not so for my children. Behavior is a big equalizer.

Prgressive Taxation - Once you remove the tax burden from the lowest, they are in effect voting for benefits from the top. Its much easier to be on the bottom than the top, hence the incentives for a lazy person are to loaf. While there are people with legitimate concerns, there are way too many people I have met in life who are their own worst enemies, mostly through a failure of leveraging that wonderful public education system....

Minimum wage legislation is not a fix. Most heads of household are not in a situation where they have to rely on minimum wage to support a family. Increasing minimum wage just transfers more costs to the consumers arguably making it even harder for that person making minimum wage to get by. If minimum wage was all it took, why does unemployment go up when min wage goes up? Why can my 17 year old son not find a job when he is ready and willing to work? Think the two are related?

Nationalization does not decrease total costs except through extreme rationing. If you have to wait 6 months for routine care do you self medicate, wait, look for other options? I.e. is the reduced cost part of rationed services and frustations with an ineffcient system or legitimate reduced costs?
Unfortunately economic inequality theories cater to wealth envy and justify a Robin Hood type mentality while not adjusting behavior or offering incentives to encourage more efficient or beneficial behaviors. The dig in the article about the far right discounting these theories does not also mention that all too often the far right consists of people absolutely willing to help someone else out.... but only if they are willing to work as hard at getting out of their mess as they expect others to work for them.

Take into account our latin american workers who leave family behind, live 6 to a room, and send money home to better their lives. While I am against illegal immigration, I much more respect this attitude than clinging to inner cities and gang/thug culture often supported by an emotional argument that keeping these families together is more important than kicking the young men and women in the rump and making them go where the work is....

As you can see, the intentions are nice, but entropy and laziness are always going to be the bane of good intentions.

Monkey Boy

First Post
Sounds like you didn't read the article. Here are some other options:
- Public education
- Progressive taxation
- Minimum wage legislation
- Subsidization of "essential" goods and services such as food, healthcare, education, and housing.

Again I recommend you read the article:
Economic inequality - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I know this is politics but it makes sense. Europe, Aus, NZ, Canada, have grasped these concepts and it for the most part works fine. The US is infornt in a lot of areas but tragically behind in some fundamental stuff :confused:

Back on topic - I do not begrudge corps making a great wage. Good for them. Its capitalism at work. Nothing wrong with that. The trick is to get the social justice balanced with the capitalism. Is hard to do and I am not sure any nation has done this yet. Who knows, maybe one day.

cangrejoide

First Post
Check the thread title: WotC's recent "rearrangement" which resulted in firings. There have been some speculation that it is Hasbro meddling, some speculation that is is standard operating procedure. The thread title implies the former in this case.

And why is any of this a 'mess', people get fired everyday that doesnt mean it was a bad choice for WOTC.

Adlon

Mortality.net
Exactly. It's not in the top league at WotC. WotC isn't in the top league at Hasbro. Why would Hasbro be prioritising D&D?

I imagine Hasbro barely knows it owns D&D.

Board Member 1: yeah, it's time to check our profits.
Board Member 2: it sure is, oh, hey, how is WotC doing...???
Board Member 1: who?
Board Member 3: Don't they do that Basements and Badguys or whatever?
Board Member 2: i think it's Dungeons & Dragons....
Board Member 1: when did we pick THAT line up?
Board Member 2: same time we got Magic: The Gathering
Board Member 1: Oh....

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I have no idea what the point of this thread is. Is there anyone here who doesn't know that people at the top of multi-billion organizations make lots of money? Does that prove that layoffs were a bad idea? What is your point here?

CEOS making these kinds of salaries is a relatively new development. When I was a kid, CEOs were paid a much smaller multiple of employee salaries.

In my opinion, the change is not due to the marketplace; it's due to executives sitting on each others compensation boards. Nor do I believe that paying these kind of bonuses results in better corporate governance; studies have not shown this kind of correlation.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads