• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

ASoIaF RPG - A Tourney of Gulls [Recruiting]

DrZombie

First Post
Two quick questions:

-Am I correct in presuming that putting the horse out of its misery is the standard and appropriate thing to do in this situation?

- What is the distance between the wagons, the trio of knights, and Talmond and the horse/surviors?

As far as I'm aware, putting a horse out of it's misery when they break a leg is still standard practice today.

Cor Azer

First Post
Two quick questions:

-Am I correct in presuming that putting the horse out of its misery is the standard and appropriate thing to do in this situation?

- What is the distance between the wagons, the trio of knights, and Talmond and the horse/surviors?

Curses! My reply was eaten by the curse of the crappy wireless router...

Yup, pretty standard. That's why knights are told not to name their horses.

The wagon is about three hundred feet behind the three knights on the ridge; Talmond, the maimed horse, and the two unconscious riders are about thirty feet ahead.

ShaggySpellsword

First Post
I just picked up ASoIaFRPG this weekend and it looks really great. While your thread title says you are recruiting, I read over your threads and saw that you guys have started already.

Could I play? I would be perfectly happy playing an as-of-yet unnamed guardsman (I'm thinking Sleepy Pate, the Guard) who's along for the trip, waiting back at the wagons. I am picturing a commoner who was barely grown during Robert's Rebellion and distinguished himself amongst the levies of House Vantri. Even though they ended up on the wrong side of that fight, Pate was rewarded for good service with a position on the Vantri guard. He has since become a lieutenant in the house guard and is known for being a bit of an idiot, but very dedicated to the house. Maybe he's in charge of the small group of guards going to the Tourney?

If you guys are okay with Pate, I'll make up a sheet.

Cor Azer

First Post
I just picked up ASoIaFRPG this weekend and it looks really great. While your thread title says you are recruiting, I read over your threads and saw that you guys have started already.

Could I play? I would be perfectly happy playing an as-of-yet unnamed guardsman (I'm thinking Sleepy Pate, the Guard) who's along for the trip, waiting back at the wagons. I am picturing a commoner who was barely grown during Robert's Rebellion and distinguished himself amongst the levies of House Vantri. Even though they ended up on the wrong side of that fight, Pate was rewarded for good service with a position on the Vantri guard. He has since become a lieutenant in the house guard and is known for being a bit of an idiot, but very dedicated to the house. Maybe he's in charge of the small group of guards going to the Tourney?

If you guys are okay with Pate, I'll make up a sheet.

Certainly, you're welcome to play. I left the "recruiting" in the thread title because until I get some unwieldy number of players, I'll probably be in an always recruiting mode. In a game like A Song of Ice and Fire, it's pretty easy to have characters stepping in and out of story prominence (for example, several extra thus-unnamed guards).

Pate seems a fine idea; probably a second-in-command to some captain of the guard back at Splinterhold (I don't know if Westerosi would use the rank 'lieutenant').

Gameplay seems to be making Haken some sort of leader too, so he might be third to your second.

ShaggySpellsword

First Post
A few questions:

What status should Pate be? I figure it's 1 or 2, but figuring the difference between those two is eluding me at the moment.

Would the guards be mounted? If so, on what?

I figure, in the Vale of Arryn, only the knights would really get much, if any, training on horseback, since horses tend to be ill-suited to Mountain warfare. I figure that most of the rank-and-file men-at-arms would mostly fight from foot and ride garrons, if anything.

I think those are my main questions. I'll post more if hey come up.

Cor Azer

First Post
A few questions:

What status should Pate be? I figure it's 1 or 2, but figuring the difference between those two is eluding me at the moment.

Would the guards be mounted? If so, on what?

I figure, in the Vale of Arryn, only the knights would really get much, if any, training on horseback, since horses tend to be ill-suited to Mountain warfare. I figure that most of the rank-and-file men-at-arms would mostly fight from foot and ride garrons, if anything.

I think those are my main questions. I'll post more if hey come up.

If you want him to have some sort of command/authority over the other guards, probably status 2; much like hedge knights and sworn swords.

Most of the guards traveling to the tourney are mounted, except the few on the baggage cart/wagon. Mostly garrons.

I wouldn't worry too much about mountains limiting horseback training - the roads in the vale are quite good,and the vale itself is quite open,so there's plenty of place and need for horseback training even for non-knights. Typically however, guards are fighting on foot.

Cor Azer

First Post
I put up my sheet. I think it's mostly right, but since I've only had the rules in hand for two or three days, it'd be worth double checking.

Big, tough, and stubborn. Not much of a talker. Looks good to me.

We can imagine Sleepy Pate has been quietly grumbling to himself about daytime work so far on the trip to Lakelights, but this incident with the lady's maimed horse may have woken him up...

ShaggySpellsword

First Post
Exactly. He may have even appeared to drift in and out of sleep while riding his garron. Also, he's a little stupid, but good-natured and dependable.

Also, I think that Haken should probably be number 2, and I'll be right behind him. That'll fit the current narrative flow better.

Last edited:

Cor Azer

First Post
Exactly. He may have even appeared to drift in and out of sleep while riding his garron. Also, he's a little stupid, but good-natured and dependable.

Also, I think that Haken should probably be number 2, and I'll be right behind him. That'll fit the current narrative flow better.

That works fine, too.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads