ASoIaF RPG - A Tourney of Gulls [Recruiting]

Welcome back, Dr. Zombie. Tangentially, I may be unavailable the first week of September. I'm going to write up a post to keep everything going and move my character around as necessary.

Well, I'm back, and I posted. I think we should quickly plan our course of action, because right now it appears like we're barely holding our ground in the two intrigue encounters. It's partly expected, as right now we're heavier in combat characters than duplicitous schemers.

I'd have to look over the rules again, but I think we need to look at aiding other characters, or possibly walking away from encounters. Gurthngwaw has a good idea with his last awareness roll, and everyone with more awareness than diplomatic skills might want to consider doing that. That and we need our resident steward to throw down some persuasive mojo on this situation.

Thoughts?

Cor Azer

First Post
For those who don't have access to the rules (at all, or easily available when posting), this might help your planning.

[sblock=Intrigue Essentials]
Actions during an Intrigue:
Assist: Pass a Challenging (9+) Persuasion test, add half (round down) your Persuasion rank to an ally's next test this conflict.
Consider: Give up action this exchange, next exchange, get +2B, but bonus dice cannot exceed your rank in whatever ability you test.
Fast Talk: Talk nonsense. Test Persuasion vs opponent's passive Will (4 x Will rank); if you earn 2 successes, opponent loses Cunning rank from his Intrigue defense score.
Influence: Basic/common action. Make a Persuasion or Deception test vs opponent's Intrigue defense to deal influence damage to his composure. Gain bonus dice based on technique, possible modifiers based on your disposition, influence reduced by opponent's disposition.
Manipulate: Goad opponent. Test Persuasion vs opponent's passive Will (4 x Will rank); on success, you choose opponent's technique in the next exchange.
Mollify: Repair someone's Composure. Pass a Formidable (12+) Persuasion test, restore composure equal to number of successes times your Persuasion rank, reduced by target's disposition towards you.
Quit: The intrigue ends, although their may be plot related consequences depending on the matter being discussed...
Read Target: Make an Awareness test vs opponent's passive Deception (4 x Deception rank); on success, learn target's current disposition towards you and his current technique. You also gain +1D on all Deception and Persuasion tests for the rest of the intrigue.
Shield of Reputation: Use your status to influence opponent. Make a Status test vs opponent's base Will rank; on success, opponent's disposition improves 1 step. Limit 1 per intrigue.
Yield: Offer a compromised outcome. If accepted, intrigue ends with compromised results. If not accepted, opponent can make a counter-offer or outright refuse.
Combat!: You stop talking and start smacking!

Whenever your Composure is reduced, you may take on Frustration to lessen the damage further. Each point of Frustration you take reduces damage to your composure equal to your Will rank, but imposes -1D (1 penalty dice) on all Deception and Persuasion tests until the end of the Intrigue. If you gain more Frustration than your Will rank, you are defeated as if your composure was reduced to 0.
At the end of an intrigue, all damage to composure and accumulated frustration is removed.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Combat Essentials]
During each round of combat, you may take 1 Greater Action (G) or 2 Lesser Actions (L), and any number (limited by the Narrator case-by-case) of Free Actions (F). Only one of these actions may be an attack.

In order to attack, one of the following must be true:
You are armed with a Fighting weapon and are adjacent to an opponent (this is called being engaged)
You are armed with a Reach Fighting weapon and are within 3 yards of an opponent
You are armed with a Close Range Marksmanship weapon and are within 10 yards of an opponent
You are armed with a Long Range Marksmanship weapon and are within 100 yards of an opponent

Actions during Combat:
Standard Attack (L): Test Fighting or Marksmanship vs opponent's combat defense. Deal base damage x number of successes reduced by opponent's Armor Rating.
Divided Attack (G): Only way to attack multiple foes in one round. Divide all your Fighting dice as you wish among all your opponents, then divide any Bonus dice (cannot assign more Bonus dice than Fighting dice) as well. Resolve each attack separately as above.
Two-Weapon Attack (G): If you have a Fighting weapon in main hand and an Off-Hand weapon in your other, you may add the Off-Hand weapon's damage bonus to the main weapon's base damage when calculating damage for the attack. You lose any Defensive bonus of the Off-Hand weapon until your next turn.
Combining Attack (G): Combine Divided Attack and Two-Weapon Attack. Divide dice as in Divided Attack, but add the Off-Hand damage bonus to all attacks.
Pull Rider From Mount (G): If armed with a Grab weapon or pole-arm. Make a Fighting test vs opponent's passive Animal Handling: Ride (4 x Animal Handling rank + Rank bonus dice); on success, opponent pulled from mount and he lands prone.
Pin (G): If you are already grabbing an opponent (you used a Grab weapon last attack), pass an opposed Athletics test vs opponent, you maintain pin on opponent (who can take no actions except trying to escape and is considered Helpless). To escape a pin, pass an opposed Fighting: Brawling test vs opponent.

Mounted attacks:
If you are mounted during combat, you:
- Use your mount's Movement instead of your own
- Gain +1B on Fighting tests vs non-mounted opponents
- Gain +2 to your base Fighting damage if the steed is war trained and didn't move
- May spend your Destiny points to allow your mount to take injuries and/or wounds if it is attacked

Assist (L): If assisting on an attack, you must be adjacent to opponent, otherwise, ally must be able to see and hear you (adjacency required on case-by-case). Add half (round down) of your rank in the ability being Assisted as bonus dice to your ally's next test. Bonus dice cannot exceed ally's rank in ability.
Catch Breath (G): Make an Automatic (0+) Endurance test, remove 1 damage per success.
Charge (G): Move up to twice your Movement, then make a Standard Attack with -1D on the attack but +2 to weapon's base damage.
Dodge (G): Move up to half your Movement. Make an Agility test; the result replaces your Combat Defense until your next turn. Add any Defensive bonuses from your weapons to the test.
Interact (L): Manipulate an object in the environment (pick up, open door, draw weapon, etc...)
Move (L): Move your speed in yards.
Sprint (G): Move your sprint speed in yards (4 x Movement)
Fall Down/Stand Up (L): Fall prone or stand from prone. If your Armor Rating is 6 or higher, this action requires a Greater Action.
Drive/Ride (Varies): If your steed is war trained and not injured, you must spend a Lesser action to control it, otherwise, you must spend a Greater Action. Make an Automatic (0+) Animal Handling test; you control your mount for 1 round per success, unless circumstances change (such as it becomes injured). Driving a vehicle requires a Lesser Action on the driver's behalf.
Pass (G): Take no action, but gain +2B on your next test next round. Bonus dice may not exceed your rank in tested ability.
Use Ability (Varies): You may use other abilities not directly related to combat (ie, Athletics to jump, Awareness to spot reinforcements, etc.). Required action determined on case-by-case basis.
Use Destiny Point (No action): You spend or burn a destiny point.
Yield (G): You give up. Honorable opponents may even recognize it. If you reenter combat after yielding, it is dishonorable and you take -1D on all Persuasion and Status tests with anyone who witnessed your treachery.
Aim (L): Gain +1B on your next Fighting or Marksmanship test. Bonus dice cannot exceed ability's rank.
Cautious Attack (L): Make an standard attack with a -1D penalty. You gain +3 to your Combat Defense until your next turn.
Counterattack (G): Hold an attack until later in round. Your turn ends now, but before your next turn, you may make a standard attack against anyone who engages you or you can see for Marksmanship attacks. This interrupts opponent's action. If opponent charged you and you have a Fighting weapon, gain +2 to your weapon's base damage.
Disarm (G): Make a Fighting test vs opponent's passive Fighting (4 x Fighting rank). If you get 2 successes, you disarm opponent. If you critically fail (fail by 5 or more), you are disarmed. If you have a hand free, you grab weapon, otherwise it goes 1d6 yards in a random direction.
Distract (L): Make a Cunning test vs opponent's passive Will (4 x Will rank). On success, opponent loses Awareness from Combat Defense until his next turn or he is attacked (whichever is first)
Knockdown (L): Make an Athletics test vs opponent's passive Agility (4 x Agility rank). On success, opponent is knocked prone. If you moved this turn first, you get +2 to your test.
Knockout (L): Versus unaware foe only. Make a Fighting test vs opponent's passive Endurance (4 x Endurance rank). On success, opponent is stunned and takes -5 to Combat Defense. If you earn 2 successes, opponent is knocked unconscious. Each round, opponent may attempt a Formidable (12+) Endurance: Resilience test to wake up/recover from stun; otherwise, the stun ends after 1d6 rounds and the unconsciousness after 1d6 minutes. You may also spend a Destiny point to negate effect.
Maneuver (L): Make a Fighting test vs opponent's passive Fighting (4 x Fighting rank). On success, opponent gets -1D on all tests for one round, and you may move opponent 1 yard per success in any direction (opponent allowed a Routine (6+) Awareness test to avoid lethal spaces).
Reckless Attack (G): Make a standard attack with +1D, but take a -5 penalty to your Combat Defense until your next turn.
Trample (G): Mounted only. Move your mount in straight line through any number of opponents' spaces and make an Animal Handling test vs each opponent's Combat Defense (if steed not war trained, add +6 to opponent's Combat Defense, add cumulative +5 to Combat Defense for each opponent after first). On success, deal damage equal to mount's Athletics rank x number of successes.

Whenever your Health is reduced, you may take on Injuries to lessen the damage. Each injury you take reduces damage to your Health equal to your Endurance rank, but imposes -1 penalty on all tests. You cannot have more Injuries than your rank in Endurance.
Alternatively, when your Health is reduced, you may take on Wounds to lessen the damage. Each Wound you take completely removes the damage from one hit, but imposes -1D on all tests. If the number of Wounds you have equals your Endurance rank, you die.
If your Health is reduced to 0, you lose. Your opponent chooses the result of your defeat (death, maiming, ransom, taking the black, unconsciousness) unless you burn a destiny point.

I am not using the Critical Hit and Fumble rules.

Fatigue:
At any time during combat (even if not your turn), you may accept a point of Fatigue to gain some benefit until your next turn. Each point of Fatigue adds -1 penalty to all tests. You cannot accept more Fatigue than your Endurance rank.
Possible benefits:
- Ignore armor penalty
- Ignore 1 wound
- Ignore all injuries
- Gain 1 Lesser action; this action may be used to attack, even if you've already done an attack this round
You lose 1 point of Fatigue every 4 hours of rest.

Recovery:
At the end of a combat, remove all damage to your Health (not including Injuries and Wounds).
You may roll to recover from injuries a day after incurring them. The difficulty of the Endurance test depends on the amount of activity during the day (Light Activity: Routine (6+); Moderate Activity: Challenging (9+); Strenuous Activity: Formidable (12+)). Each success removes 1 injury.
You may roll to recover from wounds a week after incurring them. The difficulty of the Endurance test depends on the amount of activity during the week (Light Activity: Challenging (9+); Moderate Activity: Hard (15+); Strenuous Activity: Heroic (21+). Success removes 1 wound, plus 1 per two degrees of success. A critical failure (fail by 5 or more), adds 1 wound. If you cannot accept the wound, you die.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Destiny Point Essentials]
Spent Destiny Points return after achieving a story goal.
Burnt Destiny Points are gone forever.
Destiny Points may be bought with experience after achieving story goals, or be rewarded for doing particularly noteworthy things during play.
Destiny Points may be invested to gain a Benefit Quality after achieving a story goal, or regained by removing a Benefit Quality (certain Benefits note that the invested Destiny Point cannot be recovered in certain circumstances)
At any (reasonable) time, a character may add a Drawback to gain a Destiny Point. Note though, that Drawbacks inflicted on a character do not automatically add a Destiny Point.

A spent Destiny Point can:
- Add +1B to a test, which can exceed the normal ability rank limit
- Convert a bonus die to a test die
- Remove a penalty die
- Add a penalty die to an opponent's test
- Take an extra Lesser Action; this action may be used to attack, even if you've already attacked this round
- Ignore Armor Penalty for 1 round
- Change another character's disposition by one step in either direction
- Negate another character's spent Destiny Point
- Add minor detail to a scene (that lock there? yeah, it's actually pretty shoddy)
- Activate or ignore an environmental quality (penalties from rain/snow, loosing a herd of cattle onto the battlefield, pulling a bystander into the way of a hit on you, etc. - not all combats will have environmental qualities)

A burnt Destiny Point can:
- Convert all bonus dice to test dice
- Add +5 to test result
- Automatically succeed on 1 test as if you rolled difficulty exactly
- Remove all damage and injuries (but not wounds)
- Choose consequence of own defeat
- Change another character's successful test into a failed test
- Automatically compel another character in an intrigue
- Permanently remove one of your Drawbacks
- Negate another character's burnt Destiny Point
- Add significant detail to a scene (wow! this journal completely maps out Jon Snow's heritage!)
- Avoid certain death. Character may be presumed dead, but will actually reappear some appropriate time later
[/sblock]

I have some quick questions/ideas about the current brouhaha we're in, and general schemes to strengthen our house (Ser Jarl may be honor bound, but I'm a sneaky jerk).

-Jacelynn is the current rightful heir to House Weatherly. When Lady Palla's child is born, will it become the rightful heir to House Weatherly?

-The head of House Crelling (Ser Gareth) has three daughters. If the eldest were to marry, would this override Ser Gough claim?

-To what degree is it acceptable to go to war with other houses?

Here's my take on what we might have facing us. We make it to the tournament. Hopefully, we do well, winning glory and maybe a claim on the Lakelights.

House Lynderly and House Weatherly are likely to oppose the legitimacy of Lady Palla's child. We might be able to convince Lynderly to acknowledge the marriage of Ondrew and Palla (it could be said that it helps House Lynderly, by making a banner house into a cadet branch and Ondrew's death freeing up Lady Palla for another marriage down the road).

Jacelynn's uncle would probably view both Jacelynn and the child threats to his claim to House Weatherly, so there is likely no way of winning him over. If Lynderly is on our side, that might be enough to pry the uncle's butt off the house seat. Otherwise, House Vantri could try more direct measures.

Of course, we have no idea what may transpire even on the way to the tournament, let alone what could happen at the tournament. But I was wondering everyone's thoughts on what course of action our house should be going in.

Cor Azer

First Post
-Jacelynn is the current rightful heir to House Weatherly. When Lady Palla's child is born, will it become the rightful heir to House Weatherly?

Technically, yes. Jacelynn for now, Palla and Ondrew's child when born.

In practice though, rulership of a house goes to whoever can field the most swords

-The head of House Crelling (Ser Gareth) has three daughters. If the eldest were to marry, would this override Ser Gough claim?

Eh... maybe.

Given that Gareth has three daughters, it's primarily though his fiat that Ser Gough is named heir.

If one of his daughters were to marry, she would likely become a member of the other house (assuming she married a first born from a landed knight or higher status house). Her husband would have no claim on House Crelling land, but were Gareth to die, might be named some sort of regent until a child of their was born. Even so... it's unlikely, unless the house was of lower status than House Crelling and it was a second son or some such, in which case it's more advantageous for the groom's house to ship the son over to House Crelling.

-To what degree is it acceptable to go to war with other houses?

To the degree that you don't piss off anyone larger than you :)

Open war is frowned upon officially, but really, Westeros is huge, and small border skirmishes happen all the time between rival houses. If you can justify it (this is where intrigue-y goodness is valuable), then you can get the bigger houses to look the other way.

Gurthngwaw

First Post
10 days or more for some of us since our last post...just wondering if thats unusual or par for the course? Seems unlikely that anyone couldnt toss a response up just to keep it flowing so maybe some of us are losing interest? Especially those playing the lords...its at the point where decisions have to be made and you are the ones that need to make them before we can proceed. Unless we are going to stay at the inn another day in which case we can post accordingly. Im enjoying it but i didnt make a lord because we already had two but personally i believe if your going to play a leader then you really need to be more active since the hierarchy in a game like this is so very significant. Or maybe im wrong idk but i would sure like to know why the brakes are on.

Cor Azer

First Post
I can't speak for the other players, but I know things have been busy for me lately, and I like trying to let each player get a response in before I do an update.

That said, I'm not unconvinced that I've thrown too many balls into this juggling act; I hope I haven't overwhelmed anyone with various goings-on, but if I have I can start weeding some things down.

I'm still interested in the campaign. I've been waiting for a response in the IC thread. Dr. Z is normally pretty quick with the responses, so I'm surprised we haven't heard from him.

I think one of the issues is that we're in an intrigue heavy part of the adventure, and our only intrigue-based person has been MIA for a while (his character profile says he's busy until Nov. 11th). I think we should contact Dr. Z, Shaggy, and Jackslate to see if they're still interested.

Also, we may want to consider recruiting a schemer. As it is, four of the six PCs have a deception of 1. Another schemer would make us less incapacitated when it comes to talking. If need be, I might be able to recruit players.

Remove ads