• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Atlatl Stats

DanMcS

Explorer
The "Dart" in the PHB is the equivalent of the small spears/arrows thrown by an atlatl. I would suggest treating the atlatl as a thrown weapon (5 range incremements max, str applies to damage), but double its range increment (to 40') and increase the critical to x3 to represent the greater amount of kinetic energy imparted to the dart by the throwing tool.

The atlatl/dart combo should probably be a martial weapon instead of a simple one, or even exotic if the PCs are mainly from cultures that don't use such things.

pbd

First Post
There were in 2nd ed, but I haven't seen them in 3rd. I would suggest using stats for a jvelin, or trowing spear, and increasing the range.

The Atlatl thrower mainly increased range for the small spearlike projectiles.

Pinotage

Explorer
Sound advice. You could also treat is like a composite bow and simply give a javelin a bonus based on strength, but increasing range is probably the simplest solution on a javelin.

Pinotage

lukelightning

First Post
As a thrown weapon, javelins already get a bonus from strength (to damage).

Pinotage said:
Sound advice. You could also treat is like a composite bow and simply give a javelin a bonus based on strength, but increasing range is probably the simplest solution on a javelin.

Pinotage

Pinotage

Explorer
lukelightning said:
As a thrown weapon, javelins already get a bonus from strength (to damage).

Yes, of course. But an Atlatl is not a javelin, but a 'spearthrower' so it packs a little more punch than a normal javelin. Hence, you could add normal strength bonus plus a bonus based on the atlatl. Still, the simplist remains to increase range.

Pinotage

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads