D&D 5E Attack Bonuses

Libramarian

Adventurer
Wish lists in 4e are a consequence of the relationship between the ingame/story role of magic items - they're things that the PCs discover or are given - and their metagame role - they are elements of PC build. The player conceives of the PC build, and then hands the GM the wish list because the GM has control of the relevant fiction (ie it is the GM, not the player, who in 4e has the authority to establish, within the fiction, what gear it is that NPCs/monsters possess).

That's not a defence of wish lists, just an explanation. Obviously there are other ways to approach the metagame role of magic items - eg as reward rather than build element - which is where D&Dnext seems to be heading. And you could change the story role, too, by making them primarily things that the PCs build. (I gather some approaches to 3E play go further in this direction than 4e does.)

I know what you mean, I just sounded like I didn't for a moment because I slipped into talking-to-someone-with-similar-preferences mode rather than talking-to-people-with-diverse-preferences mode.

McGixxer

First Post
If this happens in D&DN, then the experiment has failed.
Bounded accuracy is the bedrock of a D&D system that actually works.

LOL How!?!?

All D&D games if played to high level should have fighter-types needing almost anything but a 1 to hit pretty much anything. It's always been this way.

Starfox

Hero
All D&D games if played to high level should have fighter-types needing almost anything but a 1 to hit pretty much anything. It's always been this way.

3E, 3.5, and Pathfinder makes this work through iterative attacks. Even if your first attack hits 95% of the time, your third and fourth attack won't. Well, it wont unless you have a focused buffer or three in the team, preferably a bard.

Iterative attacks may be a pain, but they do keep attack bonuses relevant.

Remove ads