[AU] Butterfly Cage

WizWrm

First Post
Ray Silver said:
*As you draw nearer, you realize he's not quite as old as you thought. Middle-aged perhaps, but not nearly as old as the grandmother behind the bar. He looks up smoothly as you draw near; he must have caught you out of the corner of his eye. He listens to your introduction, and waves for you to have a seat. He takes the chip and regards it for a moment.*

"I'm glad Sirra Flameglide came through, Sanje. Though I didn't expect it to be in such a spectacular fashion. I certainly didn't expect to see another verrik in this town. Did you know there's a cloister here of our kind? Witches, of course, and virtually never seen in town, as they follow the contemplative path," Javdak quickly scribes a few more words into his book, the puts his pen down.

"Indeed, it is a pleasure," says Sanje. "I was, in truth, aware of the cloister; I have actually come here seeking a rare book. The cloister hinted they know something about it, but, considering its rarity and its nature, they, of course, require a large number of Queens as compensation. Thus, my presence." He gestures to the chip and the inn.

"I hired you to guard some magic-seekers I'm hiring. I don't expect it will take more than a day before I'm ready for your services. You'll be defending them against two types of things. One may be wild animals or other abberations. They're fairly common around here. The other is other magic-seeking teams that may seek to steal what you've found, drive you away from your site, or eliminate the competition. Vaimi told you the pay rate I'm certain. What questions do you have?" he says, his voice deep as yours. He has a very certain air about him, almost commanding. He's certainly confident, and seems well-informed.

"Excellent. I am staying in a nearby inn, the Raven's Beak. I would like, however, to know if you have hired any others so far or had other answers to your inquiry? Also - will I need any special supplies? My money-pouch is lacking, at the moment, but should we be entering uncharted caves, for example, it would behoove me to sacrifice a few Queens on torches, pitons, and the like."

Keia

I aim to misbehave
"Sounds like a good thing to me," Connor said. He stuffed the last of his large breakfast into his mouth and dropped a couple of coins to cover the meal. Something which sounded a lot like 'it's this way - follow me' but was almost inintelligible due to the amount of food in his mouth.

Connor made is way to the Eloquent Minotaur, hustling all the way. Occasionally, he looked to the others to ensure they were still following and not pulling some prank on him. He didn't want to slow the rest of the group down, and he was eager to get started on searching for magic.

ES2

First Post
Keia said:
"Sounds like a good thing to me," Connor said. He stuffed the last of his large breakfast into his mouth and dropped a couple of coins to cover the meal. Something which sounded a lot like 'it's this way - follow me' but was almost inintelligible due to the amount of food in his mouth.

Connor made is way to the Eloquent Minotaur, hustling all the way. Occasionally, he looked to the others to ensure they were still following and not pulling some prank on him. He didn't want to slow the rest of the group down, and he was eager to get started on searching for magic.

Scinathar follows. He's not going to lose out on this opportunity.

Jaik

First Post
Mochor will stride puposefuly behind Scinathar, constantly scanning the crowd for pickpockets or someone with a serious anti-Mojh problem.

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
WizWrm said:
"Indeed, it is a pleasure," says Sanje. "I was, in truth, aware of the cloister; I have actually come here seeking a rare book. The cloister hinted they know something about it, but, considering its rarity and its nature, they, of course, require a large number of Queens as compensation. Thus, my presence." He gestures to the chip and the inn.
*Javdak considers this statement thoughtfully for a moment, his hands still, staring at some point in space.*

"I am a scholar and a professor, and always interested in new things. Rare books always intrigue me. However, my studies have led me here to seek information about the magic that has resurfaced. Yet your quest interests me a great deal. If I do not find the magic I seek within a certain period of time, I would be willing to help sponsor you in your search for it. Since it is your quest, you would have to negotiate for it and it would belong to you. However, if you do manage to find it, I would ask for time to study it as well. Consider my offer, if you will."

"Excellent. I am staying in a nearby inn, the Raven's Beak. I would like, however, to know if you have hired any others so far or had other answers to your inquiry? Also - will I need any special supplies? My money-pouch is lacking, at the moment, but should we be entering uncharted caves, for example, it would behoove me to sacrifice a few Queens on torches, pitons, and the like."
"There are a few potential magic-seekers that have possibilities. If they do not come to me today, I shall seek them out. One of them is staying at your inn, coincidentally.

"Cave exploring would not be necessary. None of the sucessful magic-seeking teams have found much in the caves. Most of the best finds seem to be among the peaks, within the ruins on the surface. However, a bit of climbing equipment would not be adverse, as some of the paths are steep and treacherous, and accidents do happen. I can give you a half week's pay in advance, if you need to purchase supplies."

*As you speak to Javdak, the door of the inn opens up to admit a large group. It's a strange mix; a scarred sibaccai man, a loresong faen man with braided hair, a dark-maned litorian man, and a tall, slim cloaked figure that, by the tail, is a mojh. Javdak spots them and gives a small smile.*

"Today it seems I need not go seeking. My magic seeker seems to be here, with friends.*

~~~~~~

*Connor, Grathis, Scinathar, and Mochor, your walk to the Eloquent Minotaur is short, though fairly crowded. At this early hour people are bustling about, buying last-minute things and having quick conversations before heading out into the peaks. No one tries to pick your pockets, but then again most are giving everyone but Connor a wide berth.*

*The Eloquent Minotaur is an elegant, two-story inn with a carving of a minotaur making orator's gestures on the front of it. Inside it is brightly lit with both magic and regular lamps, and scholarly supplies are scattered on the tables between the food and drink. The tables themselves are filled with a mixture of humans and faen, though Mochor also spots two litorians, and everyone easily sees the giant woman in the back. A human man speaks to the grandmotherly innkeeper behind the bar, as the illusion pictures on the walls occasionally move, sing, or speak.*

*Connor, you spot Javdak at his usual table across the room, and strangely enough he speaking to the verrik man you know is staying at the Raven's Beak. Javdak spots you, smiles, and inclines his head slightly in acknowledgement and greeting.*

Last edited:

WizWrm

First Post
Ray Silver said:
*Javdak considers this statement thoughtfully for a moment, his hands still, staring at some point in space.*

"I am a scholar and a professor, and always interested in new things. Rare books always intrigue me. However, my studies have led me here to seek information about the magic that has resurfaced. Yet your quest interests me a great deal. If I do not find the magic I seek within a certain period of time, I would be willing to help sponsor you in your search for it. Since it is your quest, you would have to negotiate for it and it would belong to you. However, if you do manage to find it, I would ask for time to study it as well. Consider my offer, if you will."

"Most interesting," says Sanje. "I will keep this in mind should the Zahyob cloister prove unhelpful. The book concerns the nature of a rare variety of undead spirits - it is part of the larger knowledge I am seeking. I trace the path of life and death; it was this that called me to my position." Sanje gestures to the tiny golden skull clasp he wears.

Ray Silver said:
"There are a few potential magic-seekers that have possibilities. If they do not come to me today, I shall seek them out. One of them is staying at your inn, coincidentally.

"Cave exploring would not be necessary. None of the sucessful magic-seeking teams have found much in the caves. Most of the best finds seem to be among the peaks, within the ruins on the surface. However, a bit of climbing equipment would not be adverse, as some of the paths are steep and treacherous, and accidents do happen. I can give you a half week's pay in advance, if you need to purchase supplies."

Sanje speaks in a deep voice, "Truth as told, I am restless to begin. A dozen pitons and a hammer would be useful; I already possess a rope, grappling hook, and other minor items that will show to be useful. If your magic-seekers do not arrive today, I will obtain these with the Queens I have; they are not expensive. If they do arrive, I will pick them up on the way out."

Ray Silver said:
*As you speak to Javdak, the door of the inn opens up to admit a large group. It's a strange mix; a scarred sibaccai man, a loresong faen man with braided hair, a dark-maned litorian man, and a tall, slim cloaked figure that, by the tail, is a mojh. Javdak spots them and gives a small smile.*

"Today it seems I need not go seeking. My magic seeker seems to be here, with friends.*

"Ah, excellent." While they approach the table, Sanje says, "Shall we leave today, or is there other business you must attend to?"

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
WizWrm said:
"Ah, excellent." While they approach the table, Sanje says, "Shall we leave today, or is there other business you must attend to?"
*Javdak gives an expansive wave.*

"If these fine fellows will agree to my offer, than leaving today is a possibility. The day is still young," he says, gesturing for Connor and his friends to come over.

Last edited:

Rybaer

First Post
Grathis look around the common room of the Eloquent Minotaur and grunts...which comes out as more of a soft growl. Too many academics, he thinks in disdain. No wonder there is a booming business in guarding them...too weak to look after themselves.

He notes the verrik across the room and follows Connor's lead.

ES2

First Post
Scinathar follows Conner and Grathis over to the table with the person that glanced our way. He uses Detect Magic ability when he has a few seconds to examine the room carefully.

Scinathar looks around the room, seeing if there's any strange looks his way of the sort that may want to cause him harm. He keeps silent.

Dalamar

Adventurer
Galen bows to Kasa, before continuing.
"I am Galen Dumaine, a novice in the art of runes. I have come to ask if you would possibly know of any runes or magical lore that might further my studies."

Remove ads