• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[AU] Siege on Ebonring Keep - Part 2

Mirth

Explorer
As the sawtooth bats near, Ys-Baddaden taps the person in front of him and says, "Run!" quietly into their ear before setting his sights on the center of the swarming mass of bats and casting Ghost Sound, mimicing the sound of a firecracker and hoping to disorient them.

Rybaer

First Post
At Ys-Baddaden's urging, everyone hurries forward toward the exit. The cloud of bats is so thick that it is difficult to see more than a few feet.

One of the sawtooth bats lands a small bite on Danwyn (1pt dmg). Danwyn returns the favor and slices it in half. Ys-Korros also bats one of the sawtooth bats aside.

Ys-Baddeden gets off his Ghost Sound spell. Everyone hears a loud pop which causes even more chaotic activity among the bats. It's difficult to tell in the disorienting swarm whether it helps or hurts.

Aurial leads the way through the far passage and after a couple hundred feet of narrow cave the last of the bats are safely left behind. Pyior comments that bat bites or notorious for carrying disease. Ys-Baddaden looks at the wound and makes a good effort at cleaning it out. He crushes a few dried herbs that he's been carrying around and tells Danwyn that he'll have to keep a close eye on it.

The passage meanders for another couple hundred yards. Finally, daylight can be seen up ahead, along with a slight breeze and the smell of woodlands. The cave empties out in the side of a hill under a canopy of the enormous islands of the gassar trees. The "floating islands" of the Floating Forest obscuring the sun almost completely. The cave entrance itself is obscured by bushes and vines, making it almost invisible from more than a couple dozen yards.

Depending on how straight your path through the cave was (and this is very difficult to discern), you could be as much as two miles away from the Keep.

The rhodin looks around nervously, as if he expected to be attacked upon leaving the cave. When he sees nothing, he turns back to Pyior.

"You set me free now, right? You promised."

Mirth

Explorer
"As long as he gave you satisfactory directions to this 'cave' he mentioned earlier, then I say we stand by our word and set him free," Ys-Baddaden says to Pyior while keeping his eyes on the rhodin.

rangerjohn

Explorer
"Actually, he said only the scouts, knew where the cave was located. But we knew that when we made the deal. Free him, tell him I bear him no ill will, but if I see him in battle again, he's dead."

Erekose13

Explorer
Ys-Korros leans forward and unbinds the rhodin's hands, "Indeed little brother it is our word. Cordo please make sure he understands Danwyn before he heads out."

Liminal Syzygy

Community Supporter
Pyior helps Ys-Korros unbind Keetor's hands and tells the rhodin, "No fight us again, ok? We friends, Keetor, ok?"

(Pointing at Danwyn) "He say again he must kill you if you fight us again. No fight! Me name is Pyior. Pyior and Keetor friends, ok?"

Before he leaves, Pyior will give the rhodin all of his remaining rations.

Rybaer

First Post
The rhodin flexes his wrists to get some circulation back. He takes the food Pyior offers with a nod of his head.

"You are good little man," he says. "Thank you for not killing me. I am Kamkit. I will not fight any of you again."

He hurries off into the forest, not daring to look back.

The immediate area offers up some clues as to the direction the rhodin may have traveled. While the Floating Forest has considerable vegitation, much of it grows on the "floating" islands. At ground level, the cover is more sparse. There are faint remnants of footprints following a game trail...suggesting that the ground was quite soft when the rhodin made their escape.

A cool breeze is picking up and through the small gaps in the canopy it looks as though rain clouds are moving in to the area.

Erekose13

Explorer
"If that rain starts to fall we may loose this trail. Let us move hastily along their trail." Ys-Korros says, trying to take in the wonders of the floating forest while keeping his mind on the task at hand. It was truely a wonderous sight to see small islands with trees and even lakes floating up there high above the ground.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads