• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

audio books

EricNoah

Adventurer
I had the privelege of listening to a wonderful reading of Black Boy, the autobiography of Richard Wright, on a trip this weekend. It was really well done; I felt like I was right there. Anyone else hear a good book recently?

Wombat

First Post
EricNoah said:
I had the privelege of listening to a wonderful reading of Black Boy, the autobiography of Richard Wright, on a trip this weekend. It was really well done; I felt like I was right there. Anyone else hear a good book recently?

Interesting timing! I read the book last month to help a friend with her term paper on the book ;)

Most recent audio book I heard was Derek Jacobi reading an abridged version of Le Morte d'Arthur -- the bits with Tristram & Isolde were left out, but I found no loss there. Jacobi's voice is a wonderful fit to the text!

johnsemlak

First Post
One of the things on my wish list are audio book verions of the Iliad and the Odyssey. For the illiad, you can buy versions read by Ian McKellan or Robert Graves, and I believe Robert Graves one for the Odyssey as well.

They're both on my wish list, but I keep buying D&D stuff instead :)

EricNoah

Adventurer
Yeah, Harry Potter on CD was good.

I have the Seamus Heaney Beowulf on CD and will need to pull that out sometime to give it a listen.

I also have this awesome CD set of poetry being read by the actual poets (it starts with Walt Whitman -- must have been recorded on some ye olde recording device; even with digital cleanup you can barely make it out). Frost, Yeats, Wallace Stevens, e.e. cummings, Langston Hughes, Ogden Nash, Dylan Thomas, Sylvia Plath, Maya Angelou... I haven't listened to it all (it's 3 or 4 disks).

JoeBlank

Explorer
Eric, you stole BOTH of my suggestions.

All of the Harry Potter books are fantastic listens. I've stopped reading them and just listen to them now.

The Seamus Heaney Beowulf is perfect. The story is meant to be heard, not read. His translation is wonderful and his reading makes it even better.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I listen to a ton of audio books.

Since Jim Dale reading Harry Potter has already been recommended, I'll offer a few other fun suggestions that I really like. The only ones I'll mention are readers who actually make the stories *better* by their readings.

- Michael Prichard reading any of the Nero Wolfe mysteries, by Rex Stout. Prichard makes a wonderful Archie Goodwin. He's who got me hooked on Books on Tape.

- David Case reading George Macdonald Fraser's Flashman books. It's hard to inject that degree of lecherous cowardice and bluff manly posturing into a voice, but he manages it perfectly.

- Whoever it is that reads Donald E. Westlake's Dortmunder books (which I've discussed in May's "what are you reading" thread.) He's ideal.

DaveStebbins

First Post
Probably nine of the last ten books I actually finished were audio books. I walk to work all winter, so I have a half hour each way to listen. I borrow books on CD from the local library, rip them to MP3 and listen to them on my MP3 player (gotta have solid state, anything with moving parts dies too easily/quickly for me).

However, since spring finally came to Erie PA a month ago, I've been riding my bike to work (only takes eight minutes that way), and none of the books on CD were so memorable that I can name them six weeks later.

Get Out of My Life, But First Could You Drive Me and Cheryl to the Mall? was very good, but it's non-fiction and deals with parenting teens, so I'm guessing it will have limited appeal to most EN Worlders. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads