• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Baba Yaga d20 conversion?

Arnwyn

First Post
Conaill said:
Nothing wrong with doing a conversion of yet another classic epic monster, but she's not exactly what I had in mind for a famous russian witch who occasionally gets outwitted by little children or Awakened animals...
Nope - especially as I was asking for a conversion from the 2e Dancing Hut of Baba Yaga; and since I'm the OP... ;)

Shade

Monster Junkie
After looking over the polymorph errata, it looks like change shape is more appropriate than alternate form for what we're trying to achieve.

Updating her...

Baba Yaga
Medium Outsider (Evil, Native)
Hit Dice: 30d8+240 (375 hp)
Initiative: +11
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 42 (+7 Dex, +7 natural, +10 deflection, +8 insight), touch 35, flat-footed 35
Base Attack/Grapple: +30/+39
Attack: Claw +39 melee (1d8+9/19-20)
Full Attack: 2 claws +39 melee (1d8+9/19-20) and bite +34 melee (2d6+4)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Aura of horror, consume spirits, deadly rending, spell-like abilities, spells
Special Qualities: Change shape, damage reduction 15/magic (15/magic and non-metal within her hut), darkvision 120 ft., immunity to mind-affecting spells and abilities, magical aging effects, and necromantic effects, knowledgeable, resistance to cold 10 and fire 10, regeneration 3, scent, "sniff out knowledge", spell resistance 41, tongues
Saves: Fort +25, Ref +24, Will +27
Abilities: Str 29, Dex 24, Con 26, Int 32, Wis 30, Cha 27
Skills: Bluff 33, Concentration 33, Decipher Script 33, Diplomacy 33, Disguise 33, Hide 33, Intimidate 33, Knowledge (arcana) 33, Knowledge (local) 33,Knowledge (nature) 33, Knowledge (the planes) 33,Listen 33, Move Silently 33, Search 33, Spellcraft 33, Sense Motive 33, Spot 33, Survival 33, Use Magic Device 33 (19 at 33 ranks)
Feats: Brew Potion (B), Empower Spell, Extend Spell, Heighten Spell, Improved Critical (claw), Improved Initiative (B), Improved Metamagic, Improved Spell Capacity (x2), Intensify Spell, Maximize Spell, Power Attack, Quicken Spell, (11 total)
Environment: Temperate and cold forest
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 25
Treasure: Double standard
Alignment: Always neutral evil
Advancement: -
Level Adjustment: -

Baba Yaga stands 5 feet tall and weighs 100 pounds.

Baba Yaga speaks Abyssal, Common, Draconic, Infernal, and Sylvan, but can speak with almost any creature because of her tongues ability.

Combat

Aura of Horror (Su): Baba Yaga can radiate a 15-foot-radius fear aura as a free action. A creature in the area must succeed on a DC 33 Will save or be affected as though by a fear spell (caster level 20th). A creature that successfully saves cannot be affected again by Baba Yaga's aura for 24 hours. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Change Shape (Su): Baba Yaga can assume the form of any Small, Medium, or Large animal or humanoid.

Consume Spirits (Su): When Baba Yaga slays a humanoid opponent, she can devour its life force, as a full-round action. This prevents any form of raising or resurrection that requires part of the corpse. There is a 50% chance that a wish, miracle, or true resurrection spell can restore a consumed victim to life. Check once for each destroyed creature. If the check fails, the creature cannot be brought back to life by mortal magic.

Baba Yaga heals 10 hit points per Hit Die of the creature whose spirit she consumes.

Deadly Rending (Ex): If Baba Yaga hits with both claw attacks and her bite attack, she latches onto the opponent’s body and tears the flesh. This attack automatically deals an additional 4d6+13 points of damage. Additionally, the victim must succeed on a DC 34 Fortitude save or die. This is a death effect. The save DC is Strength-based.

Knowledgeable (Ex): Baba Yaga makes Knowledge checks for any Knowledge skills as if she had a minimum of 10 ranks in that skill. To surpass the 10-rank minimum, she must assign more than 10 ranks to the skill as normal.

Regeneration (Ex): Fire and acid deal normal damage to Baba Yaga. If Baba Yaga loses a limb or body part, the lost portion regrows in 3d6 minutes. She can reattach the severed member instantly by holding it to the stump.

Sniff Out Knowledge (Su): If Baba Yaga successfully detects a creature via her scent ability, she gains a +10 circumstance bonus on Knowledge checks made to identify monsters and their special powers or vulnerabilities. She may also discern the creature's nationality if she succeeds on a Knowledge (local) check (DC equals 10 + creature's HD). With a standard action, she may discern a creatures alignment as if using detect chaos/evil/good/law.

Spell-Like Abilities: At will--comprehend languages, detect magic, discern lies (DC 22), read magic. Caster level 20th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

Spells: Baba Yaga casts spells a 25th level wizard. Baba Yaga can also add spells found on scrolls, or other sources, containing divine spells to her arcane spellbook. Baba Yaga can learn and thus prepare divine spells in this fashion as if they were on the sorcerer/wizard spell list at the same level.

Typical Wizard Spells Prepared (CL 25th, save DC 18 + spell level)
0-- arcane mark, ghost sound, mending, prestidigitation (4 total)
1st-- deathwatch, expeditious retreat, mage armor, pass without trace, shield, unseen servant, ventriloquism (7 total)
2nd-- death knell, desecrate, misdirection, spectral hand, tree shape, undetectable alignment, warp wood (7 total)
3rd-- bestow curse, deeper darkness, diminish plants, dominate animal, haste, maximized ray of enfeeblement, nondetection (7 total)
4th-- blight, extended fly, freedom of movement, giant vermin, quickened true strike, rusting grasp (6 total)
5th-- commune with nature, extended greater invisibility, insect plague, maximized lightning bolt, quickened scorching ray, true seeing (6 total)
6th-- geas, greater dispel magic, liveoak, maximized enervation, quickened bestow curse, word of recall (6 total)
7th-- blasphemy, control weather, creeping doom, empowered quickened vampiric touch, heightened dominate person, plane shift (6 total)
8th-- control plants, greater prying eyes, intensified scorching ray, moment of prescience, unholy aura (5 total)
9th-- foresight, quickened greater dispel magic, shambler, weird, wail of the banshee (5 total)
10th -- heightened bestow curse, quickened greater teleport (2 total)
11th -- empowered maximized horrid wilting, intensified cloudkill (2 total)

Tongues (Su): Baba Yaga can speak with any creature that has a language, as though using a tongues spell (caster level 20th). This ability is always active.

Skills: Baba Yaga has a +4 racial bonus on Listen and Spot checks.

Last edited:

Choranzanus

Explorer
Conaill said:
Heh - I think at some time I'm going to have to come up with a grittier, closer-to-the-fairytales Baba Yaga than the demi-goddess you guys are cooking up here. :D

Nothing wrong with doing a conversion of yet another classic epic monster, but she's not exactly what I had in mind for a famous russian witch who occasionally gets outwitted by little children or Awakened animals...

I figure there's enough space for both the original epic-level version of Baba Yaga from Dragon, and one which might be an interesting encounter for mid-level adventurers.

Definitely
I will answer some of your questions, because you will probably not find an answer on the internet. Baba Yaga, also known as Jezibaba or Yezibaba is a Yezinka, a race of antisocial witches which live in covens of three. The word baba simply means hag. She is apparently an older and more dangerous example of Yezinka then. Despite this, it is not a unique character in any way. Russians tend to exxagerate a lot in their folklore so she might not be so powerful as a deity (as if casting at least six level spells is not powerful enough).

I shall add more information later.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Any suggestions for this...

Spells: Baba Yaga casts spells a Xth level sorcerer (wizard?). Baba Yaga can also add spells found on scrolls, or other sources, containing divine spells to her arcane spellbook. Baba Yaga can learn and thus prepare divine spells in this fashion as a X level cleric or druid.

Sorcerer Spells Known (or Wizard Spells Prepared)...

sckeener

First Post
Shade said:
Any suggestions for this...
sckeener said:
Spells: Baba Yaga casts spells a Xth level sorcerer (wizard?). Baba Yaga can also add spells found on scrolls, or other sources, containing divine spells to her arcane spellbook. Baba Yaga can learn and thus prepare divine spells in this fashion as a X level cleric or druid.

Sorcerer Spells Known (or Wizard Spells Prepared)...

hence I was leaning towards the archivist. But isn't it just flavor text if we are going the route of

Shade said:
sckeener said:
How about flavor/crunch text for
Baba Yaga can also add spells found on scrolls, or other sources, containing divine spells to her arcane spellbook. Baba Yaga can learn and thus prepare divine spells in this fashion as a X level cleric or druid.

or something like that. I just liked the text from the 1st edition
Sure, that works for me. Dragons can cast some divine spells as arcane, so why not her witchiness?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Right..the flavor text was there instead of the archivist, which isn't in the SRD. Essentially, I'm just interested in what wizard level we want to go with and suggested spells prepared. She was 25th level before, so we can probably just preserve that level.

Thus...

Spells: Baba Yaga casts spells a 25th level wizard. Baba Yaga can also add spells found on scrolls, or other sources, containing divine spells to her arcane spellbook. Baba Yaga can learn and thus prepare divine spells in this fashion as a X level cleric or druid.

Typical Wizard Spells Prepared (CL 25th)
0-- (4 total)
1st-- (7 total)
2nd-- (7 total)
3rd-- (7 total)
4th-- (6 total)
5th-- (6 total)
6th-- (6 total)
7th-- (6 total)
8th-- (5 total)
9th-- (5 total)

And of course, we could give her epic spellcasting feats to get higher-level spell slots or epic spells.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Baba Yaga is entitled to four epic feats. So she could take Improved Spell Capacity 4 times, or mix it up with Epic Spellcasting, Improved Metamagic, and Intensify Spell in some combination.

Choranzanus

Explorer
I am back

I guess I still owe you a description of Yezinka, I almost forgot.

Yezi
They are also known as wild women, Yudi and other names depending on the place.
There is essentially nothing in the description of Yezinka that would lead me to believe they are not humans with sorcerous powers, although there are things that would be hard to explain in D&D magic. They are dirty women with disheveled hair and dressed in rags or very lightly dressed at all. They live in underground burrows, swamps or caves and have behaviour to boot. Sometimes they are described as hairy and having huge breasts they put over their shoulders for running and large, oversized heads (I guess they are marred from all that shapeshifting to animals). At other times they are beautiful and sexually aggresive. They have sense of smell like wild animals and when they want also iron claws and teeth (I think there was a spell like that, "animal affinity" or something, but I can't seem to find it now). Besides that, all Yezinkas are pretty skilled in shapeshifting and brewing various potions, particularly healing ones. They are like Lamias and can shapeshift into monsters for combat and feasting. In forest they often put travellers to sleep and then scratch their eyes out (or blind them with a spell I guess). Such unfortunate souls they then cruelly torment and eventually tore them to pieces, oftentimes in the form of some monsters (see Lamia). They are fond of children, which they kidnap from unwary parents. A characteristic detail is, that they don't eat children immediately, but hold them in pits and feed them with sweets (they are very good cooks) like pigs to take weight before they eat them . If you are not learned in this matter they are easily mistaken with witches, veelas etc. and other forest women of which there is no shortage in Slavic folklore. Not all of them are evil or entirely evil enough to be completely unsocial, apparently there have been even marriages of some of them to important nobles or even kings. This could be due to charm, but I don't believe their partners are unwilling in this. In fact because having a powerful sorceress for wife can be a huge advantage for power hungry (evil) nobles. Because they are pretty skilled in healing, brewing potions (their main occupation besides eating humans, apparently) and can bring back the dead, they are often sought by humans for this skills (but also for advice). But of course to convince Yezinka to work for you is not exactly easy, her price is either outrageous or deceptive and intimidation (the most effective way) requires some effort on your part. This is all common theme in folklore. They are also known to work with evil giants and ogres and use them as sword fodder in exchange for potions and healing (thought they can tolerate their intelligence only so much).

Baba Yaga
The Baba Yaga itself does not live in cave or burrow, but in a fantastic structure such as gingerbread house, chickenlegged hut or glass castle, no doubt created by magic. She is more experinced and more civilised, but still fond of children.

Remove ads